Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin R1 Pro

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Tekin R1 Pro

anybody running this speedo in 2wd mod any issues? pros, cons, issues with certain brand motors?

thanks for your help
Old 02-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've been running it in my GV2 and my X-6 a whole bunch. I've only ran it with Tekin's motors or Traxxas' motor which is similar, and haven't had any real issues with it. Real smooth on the bottom, plenty of power. I'm going to try it soon with a Novak or Orion motor and see what happens.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Tech Addict

It's an awsome speedcontrol. It runs great with any brushed motor and runs flawlessly with the Tekin Redline motors. I reccomend to run the 448 or 537 in 2 wheel mod buggy. Have not had the oppurtunity to run any other brand motors with the R1 yet just playing around only. There has been some issues reported that cogging and hesatation is there with other motors and that hardware is available to make it smoother with the other motors. The Hotwire is available to keep up with all the latest updates and you can change the timing characteristics of the motors with it also.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Pro: It's nice and small and fit's in my X-6 well
Con: It's unusable with a novak 10.5 (Midrange and down is sluggish and not linear. Sometimes it goes backwards before going forwards)

I have one for sale if you are interested It only has about 4 minutes of on time.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

Dont give up on it so soon. There are updates that are available to help with the slower turn motors. We have a Hotwire on the way to do the updates and will be sure to post results afterwards. Like I said above though,, the Tekin motors are awsome powerhouses with plenty of torque.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

CCristo-Are you running 4 cell or something?
Dont sell it. Send it in or find a Team Driver to use his HotWire to reset it for you with the new software.
17.5's are having issue's in 6 cell with OLD software but has been MUCH improved with new software.
13.5's were having issue's with the OLD software and are about 70-80% right with new software.
10.5's on the other hand are not having that bad of cogging issue's on the OLD software and hardly any on the new software.
6.5's,5.5's and 4.5's run like a top with the R1.

In mod buggy go with the Tekin 537. I LOVE THIS COMBO!!!!!!
By far the best Brushless speedo out. Only knock is the cogging on higher turn motor's due to being sensorless.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:47 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TexRacer
Dont sell it. Send it in or find a Team Driver to use his HotWire to reset it for you with the new software.
17.5's are having issue's in 6 cell with OLD software but has been MUCH improved with new software.
13.5's were having issue's with the OLD software and are about 70-80% right with new software.
10.5's on the other hand are not having that bad of cogging issue's on the OLD software and hardly any on the new software.
6.5's,5.5's and 4.5's run like a top with the R1.

In mod buggy go with the Tekin 537. I LOVE THIS COMBO!!!!!!
By far the best Brushless speedo out. Only knock is the cogging on higher turn motor's due to being sensorless.
Tekin is definately on to something here. We run the 537 in both Truck and Buggy geared to the moon and their not even warm after a 6 minute main. No fan needed. They are developing new equipment now that will be hitting the tracks soon like the RS Pro. A sensored version of the R1 Pro.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TexRacer
I'm running it in a 2wd off road buggy with 6 cells. Is the latest firmware available now if I send it in?
Old 02-24-2008, 02:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Applesauce, note that for competition racing i havent come across any organisation where the Redline brushless motors are legal.

This includes ROAR, EFRA, BRCA (and locally for me in australia).

In Australia we have had major problems with the R1 Pro NO ONE here has been able to get one to work properly with a sensored brushless motor. This includes trying to get it to work with a 3.5 (5 cell mod touring car).
I personally have tried an LRP 4.5 X11 and Feigao (orion style) 3.5, 4.5 and 5.5 so i know its not the motor.

Seeing that the programming kit (hotwire) has only just become available and in light of issues with the esc and sensored brushless motors i would wait for widespread confirmation that the new firmware resolves all issues or wait for the RS1 which is a sensored version they are now working on. The sensored version is meant to have a similar footprint to the R1 Pro (which i must say is pretty nice due to its small size).
Old 02-24-2008, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the latest firmware makes the esc work far better with all motors, and now they are working on yet another update so that it works with 5 cell mod. If you buy an R1, it is far more beneficial to factor in the cost of the hotwire for running, as it allows all the latest updates and it also allows you to access to motor timing on the brushless motors.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Ahhh that's interesting. I didnt know they were also looking to make firmware revisions for 5 cell mod. When i was runninng it on-road the esc was getting pretty warm so hopefully the update might help with that.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mangoman
Ahhh that's interesting. I didnt know they were also looking to make firmware revisions for 5 cell mod. When i was runninng it on-road the esc was getting pretty warm so hopefully the update might help with that.
was arrive !
Old 11-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just installed one in a 2wd buggy on 6 cell & 6.5s Nosram BL

Bottom end is cogging/stalling when I want to hit the throttle medium to hard.

Anyone got any suggestions to improve it?

snap shot of HotWire attatched
Attached Thumbnails Tekin R1 Pro-hotwire.jpg  
Old 11-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

On your hotwire with the R1 hooked up click view version.
Let us know which version software you have, if it says 178, do the update through the hotwire to 180.

Dayton
Old 11-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by radio_car_racer
Just installed one in a 2wd buggy on 6 cell & 6.5s Nosram BL

Bottom end is cogging/stalling when I want to hit the throttle medium to hard.

Anyone got any suggestions to improve it?

snap shot of HotWire attatched
Try dropping timing advance to lowest setting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.