Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 1/8 scale electric concept buggy!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default New 1/8 scale electric concept buggy!!

I posted this in the J82 thread and thought I'de start a new thread of it's own.

I have a Losi 8ight that is converted to electrtic (yes...very cool as some of you here already know and own).

With the whole LiPo/Brushless movement advancing electric into new territories, how cool would it be to come out with a legit 1/8 scale electric buggy?

This would not be a buggy that was once nitro with difs, metal chassis, etc, and is now electric, but I'm talking an electric 1/10 scale "style" of car, only now 1/8 scale with beefed up thicker guage plastic (mainly arms, towers, and chassis. I'de think the tranny and everything else could could hold up and remain the same).

The durability would lay somewhere in between nitro and 1/10 scale electric. Trying to make our sometimes fragile 1/10 scalers live in the same world as nitro is cool......for now. The speed and handeling are already there, durability is not. So we need a titch thicker guage plastic all the way around.

The Losi could be the XXX-8, and the Associated B8. Are these companies hiring? Ha.

How cool!! Maybe I'm the only one. Forgive my yapperin'. I got excitetd there for a minute. Talk amongst yourselves.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Agreed, that's the way it should be. I'd add to that that durability should be the same as that of existing 1/8 nitros.
Basically you take a 1/10 existing buggy design, make it 1/8 scale, add beefier arms, metal diffs, and get rid of the plastic chassis. I'd say aluminum chassis would have to be a must (with the amount of torque those things would be putting, there'd be too much chassis flex by going plastic), plus aluminum makes it tough as a tank. The plastic chassis would make it lighter but with the amount of power available (4S lipo... 5S... 6S or more!) chassis weight will not be an issue. I once saw a video of a converted buggy running on 6S and acceleration was ballistic, he went for the jump and that thing just took off like a rocket...
4S is enough for running on par with nitro... 6S kills about any nitro out there... now seriously, imagine one of those things running on 12S!
Old 02-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Tech Elite

Rufas, I couldn't disagree more. I have a 4S 6000 LiPo, metal chassis, 3 dif, heavey arse car right now, and I don't want another.

My whole point of this "imaginary" car was to run it on 2S 6000 LiPo with your plain ol' 4.5-6.5 brushless motor and leave the wieght out of it. Make it FEEL and ACT like it's smaller brother that we all know the 1/10 scale buggies (or trucks too).
Old 02-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Sounds like it would be a kewl class!

I think the J82 is close. A longer chassis would probably make it better.

Adding beefier arms and shock towers would again make it even better!

The standard chassis would probably work fine in this application? Just need to make them longer. Although making it a little beefier would'nt hurt.

AE and Losi could simply offer it as a conversion kit as JConcepts (if they could add an extended chassis to their kit) has done.

I think making stronger arms and shock towers and using their standard truck chassis would be a good place to start. Making the chassis longer to be closer to or equal to 8th scale buggy wheelbase would nice.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Excatly. It would be the fat / durable brother to the XXX-T or T4. Then take it to the 1/8th scale tracks.

Right now we can take our 1/10 scalers there, but they are a little sensitive to the high speeds and little more rutted out tracks.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markhat250
With the whole LiPo/Brushless movement advancing electric into new territories, how cool would it be to come out with a legit 1/8 scale electric buggy?

This would not be a buggy that was once nitro with difs, metal chassis, etc, and is now electric, but I'm talking an electric 1/10 scale "style" of car, only now 1/8 scale with beefed up thicker guage plastic (mainly arms, towers, and chassis. I'de think the tranny and everything else could could hold up and remain the same).

The durability would lay somewhere in between nitro and 1/10 scale electric. Trying to make our sometimes fragile 1/10 scalers live in the same world as nitro is cool......for now. The speed and handling are already there, durability is not. So we need a titch thicker guage plastic all the way around.
Mark are you talking 2wh or 4wh ?

If your talking 1/8 4wh then I really think the current 1/8 Elec. conversions, are the way to go.

If your talking 2wh 1/8 , I really don't think anyone wants or needs another 1/8 class.

Originally Posted by markhat250
My whole point of this "imaginary" car was to run it on 2S 6000 LiPo with your plain ol' 4.5-6.5 brushless motor and leave the weight out of it. Make it FEEL and ACT like it's smaller brother that we all know the 1/10 scale buggies (or trucks too).

Excatly. It would be the fat / durable brother to the XXX-T or T4. Then take it to the 1/8th scale tracks.

Right now we can take our 1/10 scalers there, but they are a little sensitive to the high speeds and little more rutted out tracks.
Mark if your talking 1/10 4wh BL/LP, I have been discussing this for awhile on here.
I think a true 1/10 4wh BL/LP built just like a 1/8 with wet diffs. would be the bomb.

This is a class that I think would be fun, and could get big, because you could race them on both a 1/10 and 1/8 size tracks .

There are currently two actual 1/10 4wh gas Trucks being produced, that I think you could convert to BL/LP pretty cheap and easy.

Check them out.

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/carsand...ars/31097B.asp

http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/kit.p...=66501&lang=en
Old 02-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think Mark's idea is kind of based off of JConcepts J82 conversion.

But maybe having that idea pushed a little more with a longer chassis to get it closer to 8th scale buggy wheelbase.

Leaving it 2wd would allow companies to use most of their current 1/10th trucks components. Just making a longer chassis, new body/wing and stronger suspension parts. Maybe they could rework the rear arms/cvd's to allow the use of the Truck wheels/tires yet have the rear track width that the J82 has?

It would also allow the use of current brushless/lipo setups being used in 1/10th scale buggies/trucks instead of needing a more expensive systems to power a much heavier setup. And the current drivetrains would be strong enough as they would be running the same motors/batts that are being used now in 1/10th.

Although I would'nt mind seeing these things running 8th scale wheels/tires