RC10T Parts swat from T4????? >

RC10T Parts swat from T4?????

RC10T Parts swat from T4?????

Old 01-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Default RC10T Parts swat from T4?????

Hello all,

New to the forum, long time RC-er. Here is my situation:

I purchased an older GOLD chassis RC10T, its got all RPM arms, and misc plastic parts. I was wondering since it is really hard to find parts for this truck, if it is possible to swap parts from the T4 over onto the T without lots of cutting, grinding etc.... My main concern right now, is the trans. I put a mamba 7700Kv on it, and it is a rocketship and a blast to drive. I have the ESC tuned perfect for the truck right now, but im worrying about long term..... Idler, diff, diff gear...... And ideas? Im sure someone has thought of this already.

Chris
Old 01-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Tech Addict

I know the tranny in the T4 uses GT internals (i know the diff is the same, but not sure of other gears. pretty sure the top shaft is not interchangable) but everything else is so different you should really consider a new truck. oh and most parts except for chassis from a GT should swap in if needed
Old 01-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Tech Addict

Yes the T4 and original GT use the same diff. It is also the same as the T2. But the original RC10T used the original Stealth tranny. Totally different than any mentioned. The current ratio, as well as the GT and T2 ratio is a 2.60:1, where as the original was a 2.25:1. Nothing is interchangeable. At least not without some modifying. Also the original RC10T had the hard anodized (black) chassis like the original Worlds Car and not the gold tub.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Well, it sounds like you have a conversion T. it's not really an important consideration.
All the 'wear' parts in the transmission are still available from AE. The last time i checked (late last year) Tower had all the parts in stock as well.
The T's are well know for being hard on the rear axle bearings. I would check them often with the high power setup you're running.
A bearing set from the RC10GT works fine in most RC10s too you'll just have a few extras.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The 10T and the T4 do not have any interchangble parts.

The gold pan that you have is not a 10T, it is actually a RC10 that someone put longer front and rear a-arms to make it wider. Gold pans were available on the RC10 only and all 10T's have the black chassis. (just FYI)

I pain-stakingly rebuilt a 10T not to long ago and the parts are still available. The only things that I was not able to get were the blocks that attach the rear a-arms to the chassis and the internal gears for the transmission. The diff parts are hard to find but they are out there but are specific to the orgional stealth only.

You can 95% rebuild every thing between RPM and Tower. I highly recomend the CVD rear axles and the rpm upgraded and over sized bearings for the rear hubs.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Also I would shy away from putting that high power motor in it. You WILL destroy the transmission.

Remember back when that car was built the mod motors were not fast by todays standards, batteries were 1700 mah stick packs with less than 10 minute run times, and brass bushings were standard in the rear hubs, front wheels, and in the transmission.

There were no brushless motors and there were no lipo batteries available when the car was designed.

Though any thing is possible, and others may tell you other wise, Personally I wont run anything more powerful than a 19t brushed or 10.5t brushless in any of my orgional 10T's. Parts are to hard to come by and the transmissions are so easy to destroy with the power from the newer technology.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Last post, I promise.

Keep this in mind also. No matter what you do and/or no matter what you think you can do, the orgional RC10 or 10T will NOT be competitive againced a modern truck or buggy.

Keep that in mind. If your building it for fun or for vintage racing Great! but if you think you will put it on the track, up againced everyone else, you will be wasting your time, money and will probally ruin a very cool vintage RC10.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Tech Addict

I may be old and it may have been a long time ago but I don't think Associated ever sold a kit with bushings 'standard'.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm not sure if there was ever a bushing version of the T2 or B2 but there was always a bushing version before that. My original RC10T was the ST version and came with bushings and a mechanical speed control. The gold tub CE i built for my brother in law a couple of years earler was a bushing kit as well. I had a 6 gear too and the box lists bushings.
I remember a good deal on a replacement full set of bearings was anything less than $50.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default Competitive

Mike,

It seems that Greg Nicklas ran a 10T at Planet in the last year or two and was very competitive. I remember it, because he had to do a hack job on the body to get it to fit the old style body mounts. Obviously some of that depends on the driver but I think it can run respectable. Not as smooth as a T4 and I also think the T4 accelerates quicker with the lower tranny ratio.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mfishel
I may be old and it may have been a long time ago but I don't think Associated ever sold a kit with bushings 'standard'.
I have owned my 10T since it was new and I still have the orgional paperwork, manual and box. They had brass bushings.

Its funny how the trucks, buggies and times change.

nutz4rcyktw

As for the competiveness of the buggy. Though it is possible to be some what competitive in a realm of assorted different buggies and drivers of all skill levels. I was meaning more allong the lines of the same drivers, same set up, 20 ish year old buggy vs new buggy. When you look at it that way its really not competitive.

I own both the new and the old one and it is a night and day difference between the two, even with the Brushed or Brushless set up in either one.

The biggest differences is in the steering, transmission gearing and over all weght. The orgional buggy/ truck is as a big disadvantage from the start.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw
Mike,

It seems that Greg Nicklas ran a 10T at Planet in the last year or two and was very competitive. I remember it, because he had to do a hack job on the body to get it to fit the old style body mounts. Obviously some of that depends on the driver but I think it can run respectable. Not as smooth as a T4 and I also think the T4 accelerates quicker with the lower tranny ratio.
I do remember that. And we have a very good group that runs here.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ALmost every part from a RC10 GT(not the GT2) will fit. I converted a old worlds car to a electric truck about 6 years ago when they outlawed gas trucks at parking lot track I was racing. The arms mounts shock towers all bolt up. The only funky thing I had to do was make a new brace for tranny to rear bulkhead. ANd that was easy just bent a piece of alum up. Drilled acouple of holes in and away you go.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

10T's rock I would also stay away from the MM7700,. Thats gonna be pretty heavy on'er. @ least tone it down if you can, your slipper clutch might not hold it. The stealth trans is just about bulletproof though. IMO And you can get all internals for the 3 gear stealth. (ask how I know) It would also probably be tough to find any plastic in white these days.
Have fun with it! That's what matters.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I also converted a T4 body to fit the original. Not, too, fun, but wasn't impossibe by any means. I have also found a company that has a re-make of the original T body. Only like $18 . I know, I had already purchased my T4 body when I found the "bolt-on" original.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.