Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Opinions on these inexpensive LiPo packs? >

Opinions on these inexpensive LiPo packs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opinions on these inexpensive LiPo packs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Opinions on these inexpensive LiPo packs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/11-1V-12C-5000mA...QQcmdZViewItem

My sons have BL Rustys. I am in need of buying MULTIPLE batteries for them. Since they are only bashers and I will need a number of packs, I am not interested in spending big money.

I think these LiPo packs, even though they are not top of the line, should easily out perform any NiMh pack.

As long as I can feel SAFE allowing my sons to run these packs, I think it might be a good bargain. BTW, charging is my responsibility regardless of pack chemistry.

Opinions?
Old 02-12-2008, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You get what you pay for.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Hope you have good homeowners insurance.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The maxamps packs seem fine. Why not just get them each one high capacity lipo pack like a 6000mah that should keep them running for a half hour more than likely. I wouldn't waste my hard earned money on any lipo battery that isn't proven to work.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alltapdout
You get what you pay for.
+1. Although they may be perfectly fine, when something does go wrong with a LiPo pack, it can be quite dangerous.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GroffBall
The maxamps packs seem fine. Why not just get them each one high capacity lipo pack like a 6000mah that should keep them running for a half hour more than likely. I wouldn't waste my hard earned money on any lipo battery that isn't proven to work.

+1
Old 02-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

I think that any lipo that HAS been approved by ROAR is one to get
ROAR will under go a great amount of testing to approve a pack
Any pack not approved means it is not a safe pack!!
imo
Old 02-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crazy Carl
I think that any lipo that HAS been approved by ROAR is one to get
ROAR will under go a great amount of testing to approve a pack
Any pack not approved means it is not a safe pack!!
imo
I wouldn't go that far. Manufacturers have to pay ROAR to approve a specific pack. Do you think because someone won't pay a racing organization a testing fee that the pack is unsafe? Heck no!
Old 02-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

a little iffy there could be better
Old 02-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by skelly1344
I wouldn't go that far. Manufacturers have to pay ROAR to approve a specific pack. Do you think because someone won't pay a racing organization a testing fee that the pack is unsafe? Heck no!
If they dont have any worries about there product. But if the do, then the excuse that you posed will be what will be used
Old 02-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Tech Initiate

I would suggest you not buy those. 12C? Are you serious?
Old 02-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Crazy Carl
If they dont have any worries about there product. But if the do, then the excuse that you posed will be what will be used
So just to prove they have a good product, they should pay ROAR to say so? That's assinine.

If a manufacturer has no intention of selling a product to the racing community, there simply is no point in having any affiliation with ROAR or their testing. That has absolutely no bearing on whether that product is safe or not.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Wevie and Felow R/C Car Racers and Bashers

ATTENTION

MitchellB. is correct.

12C is a NO NO for racing and EXPECIALLY bashing. In racing we usually race for 5-10 minutes at the most.
Bashers are actually HARDER on these packs than even racers. Running full out for 10-20 minutes at a time on cement where there is no give.

12C rating is not very good. Maybe with a stock motor and limited to 8 minutes of runtime.

YOU WANT a rating of 20C,22C,25C

Hope this helps.

Les
Old 02-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TexRacer
Wevie and Felow R/C Car Racers and Bashers

ATTENTION

MitchellB. is correct.

12C is a NO NO for racing and EXPECIALLY bashing. In racing we usually race for 5-10 minutes at the most.
Bashers are actually HARDER on these packs than even racers. Running full out for 10-20 minutes at a time on cement where there is no give.

12C rating is not very good. Maybe with a stock motor and limited to 8 minutes of runtime.

YOU WANT a rating of 20C,22C,25C

Hope this helps.

Les
There's always an exception though. A higher capacity pack, such as an older Maxamps 8000mAh pack used to have a 12C rating. With a pack of that capacity, 12C is no problem at all.

However, you are correct, 20C should be a standard minimum for anyone buying packs to bash with. The problem is that there is no standard between lipo manufacturers as to how bad the cells sag at that C rating. For instance, one manufacturers cells may remain at 3.6v/cell, while another unscrupulous manufacturer may have cells drop to 3.0v/cell or even lower at their C rating. My recommendation is simply to stick with well known pack manufacturers or companies using cells specifically from Enerland or Kokam.

And since I completely went around the topic in my last couple of posts in this thread...if you want to buy Lipos for your sons' Rustlers and not spend big money, Maxamps is about the only company I would trust. Even then, you'll need to unload your wallet a bit if you plan on buying 3S packs. Their most inexpensive 3S Lipo for a VXL is $115. Outside of them, I'd highly suggest the packs due out soon from Trakpower...a 3S 5400mAh hard case Lipo specifically for the VXL vehicles. The only drawback most will see...the cost of $170/pack.

That being said, unless your sons are really good drivers or you don't mind them breaking a lot of parts, I highly suggest 2S packs instead of 3S. A stock VXL Rustler on 2S Lipo will do 40mph out of the box. That's more than enough speed for most anyone bashing, especially kids. If you have any specific questions regarding batteries for the VXL's, I'll be glad to answer anything I can. I have 2 VXL Rustlers and a VXL Stampede myself and they get run on nothing but Lipo.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Well, if the 12C rating and the low cost seem to lean towards the unsafe side, I definitely will NOT be buying them. MAXAMPS it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.