R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-04-2003, 10:29 AM   #31
Tech Adept

I guess I got things confused. Width isn't a problem because the arms that I have will take care of that. I'm extending the lenth about .5-.75" to make it the same as most other 4wd off roaders such as xx4 or xxx4. The cars handle better with longer width. Also I'm using 'dogbones' (yeah opld school) from Tamiya Baja series off roader buggy. They are about 3 1/16" longs and fit nicely with the arms I'm using. I hope to have more on the car done this weekend. Will probably post pictures sunday night. I will probably use that chassis protector film by AE to cover any holes in the bottom

Originally posted by Captain_America
Hi AzDan.

I don't think you'd necessarily need to machine a longer shaft for the EVO 3 to get the longer wheelbase. Rather, you leave the tranny as-is, and simply machine longer suspension arms (to get it out to the full 250mm width) and angle them outward slightly. This way, you increase the wheelbase (from 259mm on the standard kit to maybe 286mm) with minimal parts change, AND keep the weight inboard of the axles for optimal handling.

The only question I have is does Tamiya make long driveshafts that would accomodate the increased track, and if not, will another manufacturer's shafts fit?

Also, the pinion and spur gears are completely exposed on the EVo 3: would this be a problem for off-roading at all? I'd hate to get dust, dirt & debris in the drivetrain and essentially grind them out.

You'll have to forgive me about the d.shafts, I've only recently gotten back into R/C after well over a decade of hiatus... I'm still fighting the urge to call them "dog bones" and "UJ shafts" hehe
azDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 10:31 AM   #32
Tech Adept

when I talked to the japanese kyosho person at RCX he said there would be no release of any new 4wd tourer or 4wd Off Roader in the USA because of low market... Of course every rc company says this because they want to be all hush..hush

Originally posted by crono man
Hi captain_america

do you have info on the availability of that kyosho shaft driven car called the zaboon here in north america?

i searched everywhere and i think its only available in europe
azDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:07 PM   #33
Tech Rookie
Default Zaboon

Does anyone here have Zaboon?
Sanyacid is offline   Reply With Quote