Wiki Posts
Search

The Cat is Back!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default CAT

I read this on the oople forum. Maybe we will get more pic's next week ?

"All being well the car will be making its public debut at Stotfold on Sunday."
Old 03-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abailey21
officially taking pre orders now, email me your name address and phone number, maybe email too???? I'll get them on for you!
Hey Adam,
I'd love to pre-order, but I need more info first please.
I need a release date, a price and some pics of what the car actually looks like.
I'm a HUGE Schumacher fan from a LONG time back, including even being a team driver back in Scotland in the mid 90's, so I suspect I'll get one anyway, but I need to know what I am signing up for.

many thanks
Stu
Old 03-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

belt drive is for touring cars and eurotracks which are basically touring car tracks with some ramps
Old 03-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Tell that to Masami at the Cactus this weekend.He's running a "touring car" and is tq right now.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

and im sure he could do it with any 4wd.

if youve ever watched any of the pro drivers they drive on a completly different level. i was in awe at the crcrc midwest championships. i would have paid to see the ae factory guys run
Old 03-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chewiefttc4
and im sure he could do it with any 4wd.

if youve ever watched any of the pro drivers they drive on a completly different level. i was in awe at the crcrc midwest championships. i would have paid to see the ae factory guys run
Your point about belt drives still doesn't mean anything.They are as good as any of the shaft drives on any track if setup correctly.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racenut123
Your point about belt drives still doesn't mean anything.They are as good as any of the shaft drives on any track if setup correctly.
Umm no. Ever heard of dirt/rocks/pebbles? I was running my Mi-3 in a cleaned parking lot 2 nights ago and got a rock in the belt, a week before that I had another. And the track was cleaned for a half hour before I ran, and still I found pebbles to get in my drivetrain.

I can't even begin to imagine, were it not for the fact that I already know, how fast dirt and rocks get into an open drivetrain of a belt driven 4wd buggy. It's just such a simple concept, anything bigger than 1/16-1/8" will stop a belt driven vehicle, and a dirt track is just full of crap that will stop a belt driven buggy dead in its tracks. You can pretend it won't happen all you want, but I've seen it happen over and over and over.

Yes, you may get lucky and make it the whole day without getting a rock in your tranny, but that doesn't make it a rule. I get rocks on a cleaned asphalt track, it's quite obvious it's going to happen with a buggy on dirt. Anyone who thinks different has never ran a buggy in real dirt. The things, no matter how well sealed to the undertray, come back full of dirt....
Old 03-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HVAC25000
Umm no. Ever heard of dirt/rocks/pebbles? I was running my Mi-3 in a cleaned parking lot 2 nights ago and got a rock in the belt, a week before that I had another. And the track was cleaned for a half hour before I ran, and still I found pebbles to get in my drivetrain.

I can't even begin to imagine, were it not for the fact that I already know, how fast dirt and rocks get into an open drivetrain of a belt driven 4wd buggy. It's just such a simple concept, anything bigger than 1/16-1/8" will stop a belt driven vehicle, and a dirt track is just full of crap that will stop a belt driven buggy dead in its tracks. You can pretend it won't happen all you want, but I've seen it happen over and over and over.

Yes, you may get lucky and make it the whole day without getting a rock in your tranny, but that doesn't make it a rule. I get rocks on a cleaned asphalt track, it's quite obvious it's going to happen with a buggy on dirt. Anyone who thinks different has never ran a buggy in real dirt. The things, no matter how well sealed to the undertray, come back full of dirt....

Umm no. Shaft drives are just as susceptible as belts to rocks. I've seen them stuck in the spur/pinion, I've seen them get jammed between the chassis and the shaft and cut a nice little snapping point right through the shaft. I've seen rocks get stuck between the diff housing and the spur gear and break the spur in half. 4wd require high maintenance and unfortunately, they break a lot. Period. It doesn't matter if it's shaft or belt.

As for belts on a TC, in 4 years of running for Schumacher running open belts, I have yet to get a rock stuck in a belt or pulley.

Last edited by Jon Kerr; 03-15-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

I don't know where you race,but I don't race at places that its a real factor in either Onroad or offroad.I race at well prepped tracks.Your not stating anything I am not already familiar with so,my point is I have seen a bunch of guys run a belt drive 4wd and never have a problem.I was just stating another view.Your an internet troll but I will look at what your saying as your opinion and your entitled to it.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Is it me or do those tires look a little vintage late 80s style.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...7&d=1205423608
Old 03-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Big spikes like that are common over in the U.K. where that buggy is highly anticipated and already has a huge group of people following its production. They race alot on grass and astroturf so those big spikes work best. There will probably be more shots later with a more traditional U.S. look.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Good point. forgot that grass is sometimes a surface over there.
Still look vintage.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:13 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Well I guess it is no different than I watch the shaft guys run and blow front transmission gears ever other run on asphalt or dirt while my belts have been fine for over 12 years now. I have never blown a belt on any r/c car ever dating back to running mod in a Tamiya TA03 with a 10 turn and black 1700 packs from back in the day.

Now I have blown front bevel gears ever run or two without ever hitting anything. I watch guys at are track change gears every few runs from B44's to BJ4's to Academy Sb V2's and that was just last weekend at asre big race. Non of the belt cars had a single issue with that so I guess they where all lucky running those 5.5's and lower!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckland
Big spikes like that are common over in the U.K. where that buggy is highly anticipated and already has a huge group of people following its production. They race alot on grass and astroturf so those big spikes work best. There will probably be more shots later with a more traditional U.S. look.

it's funny, but those tyres (tires)are called Mini Spikes !
Work great on grass or astro turf depending on compound ( usually Blue or Green) and also work great indoors in the Yellow compound.
You should see cut spikes or FULL spikes if you want to see a big spike !

I do wonder about how the car will work in North America.
As a UK transplant myself now living in Canada, I have seen first hand the differences in the tracks and suspect the car will be aimed primarily at their home (biggest?) market in the UK. But I also reckon the car will do just fine against the likes of the Kyosho, Tamiya etc.

Did it race in the UK yet?
we need the info !!!
Old 03-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wyd
Well I guess it is no different than I watch the shaft guys run and blow front transmission gears ever other run on asphalt or dirt while my belts have been fine for over 12 years now. I have never blown a belt on any r/c car ever dating back to running mod in a Tamiya TA03 with a 10 turn and black 1700 packs from back in the day.

Now I have blown front bevel gears ever run or two without ever hitting anything. I watch guys at are track change gears every few runs from B44's to BJ4's to Academy Sb V2's and that was just last weekend at asre big race. Non of the belt cars had a single issue with that so I guess they where all lucky running those 5.5's and lower!!!!!!!!!!!!!
running both belt and shaft cars i prefer the throttle response and braking feel of a shaft car . i ran my tc30v3 4wd buggy with mamba max 5700 and tc4 with 3.5r for over a year. without a single bevel gear problem. but then again i spent most of my time shimming the gears correctly

i sold my tc4 for a jrxs after driving it. but promptly stretched belts every other weekend. belts are fine for stock but not mod.

for those that say oh rocks and stuff effect shaft drive to that is bullcrap. you may get a very very small rock in the spur gear but thats very rare. and it doesnt stop you from racing.

belt belongs onroad. shaft offroad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.