R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-28-2008, 01:43 AM   #1
Tech Addict
Default My project (contains photo's)

Been meaning to build a personal track for the last few months, Finally made a start a couple days ago. Thought I would share some photo's of the project so far.

Budget-Zero, using anything I can lay my hands on.
gear- A 15 year old demolition bobcat, with a grapple bucket and solid wheels, shes butchered,,hammered,and bashed, took me half an hour to get it running this arvo. Other gear includes a shovel and a rake.
Materials- old power poles, ripped up roading material, hunks of concrete, Bits of steel
Final Surface-I thought it was clay, organized a truck to get it and cart it to site, turned out to be dirt....dirt filled with rocks,plants,bricks, and a tiny portion of clay. Should be good.

Righto, On with the show.

Day one, Ripped out a strip of grass to mark my boundary also done one along the bottom of the bank, Poles carted from far side of site.

area cleared, Poles laid along perimeter. Off home.

Day Two

Designed track layout and started to bring in dirt for corners/berms, decided due to lack of suitable material to build entire outline of track out of dirt,Each bucket had to be carted 100m with the bobcat and then placed, then shaped most of it with rake/shovel.

Looking pretty rough but starting to take shape. I also cut out a section of bush for a wall ride

Day three

Decided to dress up the track to make her look a lot cleaner, was happy with the results, I then spent an hour driving all over my work and messing it up.

The wall ride, shes pretty step in the flesh, Buggy couldn't make it up and around unless I hit her with some momentum, and even it its current rough state was a fun feature.

another view of the track

I'm loving the look of this section, Its uphill towards the apex, Then the idea is that you will need to hook wide to hit the jump (dirt is going over the steel tanks) and launch down to the low spot about 8 feet away, I'm going to dig that lower, and then give her a lip out so the cars launch from the dip into the wide sweeper before the straight.

Next on the list was a table top, I wanted her to shoot the cars straight up Still plenty of work to do on her, but shes taking shape.

Last random shot.

I'm pretty happy with the results so far, Once I get all the jumps placed, Clean surface laid down and compacted, and then dress her all up, she should be lookin a million dollars.
Metla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:13 AM   #2
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nice! I like the approach to building it- use what is available. I did the same thing with my track, however it is now covered in grass and rubbish until the construction of my house is complete (yes, the track was started before the house!). It will be cleared again one day.

The 'wall ride' is a great idea, adding an interesting variation that not many tracks have.

I realise that you will be covering it with dirt, but I actually think the exposed bits of barrel and power poles adds a certain 'function over form' charm to the track- a post-apocalyptic RC playground!
superlapS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:32 AM   #3
Tech Rookie
Cool That looks like a killer track...

I am sure that many people are going to break their cars on it...

I wish ya all the best for a good use & turn out for the track, you have a great looking track so far.
mrlovebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Power poles will remain uncovered, The track is located at one of our work depots, right beside a concrete crushing plant, Need something to stop people from parking gear on my track.

I can see the day some bright spark parks a 50 Ton excavator on the track.

Already broke one of my buggies on the track, well, off the track, Decided to do a speed run towards the track, and slot the car between a gap in the power poles, The theory being I would then chuck her side ways and roar down the straight.

Looked good in my mind, In reality she bounced about 12 feet short of the timber, rolled, hit the power pole upside down and backwards and deflected 12 feet into the air.

Smashed a few things....
Metla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Cool track, i should make a track like that. I like the jump setup.
devin4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:07 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

pic of a design of my track im gonna make soon

the lines are the top of the jumps
that are gonna be on the track.

HyperLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

hey nice going cant wait to see when its done. looking really good.
TroyTroy is offline   Reply With Quote