Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi XXX-T noob questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Losi XXX-T noob questions

I just got back into the hobby with a Losi XXX-T Sport RTR II with a Novak Velociti 5.5 Brushless System installed in it. I've only been able to run the truck up and down the road and occasionally in my yard but not too much since its only 5 degrees here in NY. I've noticed that my rear tires are starting to wear pretty good just from the few times i've ran it on the pavement so i'm looking to get a different set of tires for pavement and was looking for suggestions. Links would be great

My next question is how I should go about getting a higher ride height. The truck seems to run pretty low with the battery in it and especially when I go off-road with it. I know its a stadium truck and its meant to sit low but just looking to rise it a little bit to get a tad more clearance.

Next question, I have the JR XR2i radio with the truck. I know it has the charging jack but can anyone tell me if I need to purchase the rechargeable pack that JR sells or if I can just use rechargeable AA battery's?

Next question, can anyone tell me if these rims http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX2956&P=0 would work on the XXX-T?

And my last question, what do I need to keep the truck up and running, grease, lube, spays? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I can help you with a few of your questions. To raise your ride height all you need to do is adjust the collars on the shocks. I don't think that truck has the threaded shock bodies, so it's probably just a collar with a screw - loosen the screw, push the collar down, and tighten. Your ride height, with all the electronics - battery included should be set so the front a-arms are level when the truck is sitting still and the rear drive shafts should be level. That is appropriate ride height.

In terms of those black rims - no they won't work. You need to stick with Losi wheels for the XXXT.

If you're looking for street tires - check out the tires for the new Speed T truck kit. http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSB0101
Old 01-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

To answer your radio question - yes, you can put rechargeable AA's in the radio, and use the charge jack. Just make sure you have the correct wall charger for the radio. This one will work, your local hobby shop should be able to get it, if they don't already have it. Another thing to keep in hand is the Manual for the radio - click here for that. It lists the polarity of the charge plug on page 9.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the help. I was planning on getting this adapter to use with my Duratrax IntelliPeak Twin Pulse Charger with the rechargeable battery's.

Thanks for the info on the shocks I will check that out as well.

As for the wheels, are there any other brands that will work with the Losi truck other than the official Losi rims? I really want to get a black set someplace. I do like hte looks of the tires on the Speed-T truck so i'll probably pick them up once I find a set of rims I like. Any suggestions would be great, thanks again.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:36 AM
Tech Initiate

I guess it would've helped if I had posted a link to the adapter I was looking at, here it is: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAFJ2&P=7

The shock adjustment worked great, thanks for the tip. I'm stilll looking for some wheels though
Old 01-23-2008, 05:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default quesrion

My friend says u can take the white wheels and dye them black, i stick with the yellowones my self. several years ago I dyed some rims purple and they turned pretty good. good luck. come to think about it they were the rpm wheels. u can get rpm wheels to fit the losi, check ur local hobby shop. tower hobby don't sell losi products.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks alot, do you have any other info for someone with a Losi just starting up?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default losi

what would u like to know? I'm far from a pro but I did stay at the holiday inn last night, and I have a basement full of losi's.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you really want black wheels, you can dye them. Make sure you leave them in long enough so they don't look purple. Go to the local grocery store and buy some RIT dye in black color. It's fabric dye. Put it in an old sauce pan with water. Heat it up and put some new white Losi XXXT wheels in there. Keep it in the dye until you like the result.

You can do that to the flourescent colored shock springs as well for a very cool look. You can still scrape a bit of the dye/paint off the bottom of the spring to see what color it originally was. That's a cool tip as well if you're looking to make the truck look cool.

Just be careful when handling the parts out of the dye. You can make a mess and end up dying things you didn't want to - like kitchen counter tops. :-)
Old 01-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a set if rims and tires so that what i'll probably do.