Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Vs Electric

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Adept

Talking Nitro Vs Electric

Please Join In On The Already Popular But Slowly Dieing Thread And Share What You Think Is Better!

Link - http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=201663

Old 01-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

if this isnt a flame thread i dont know what is
Old 01-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

the advantages of both have been stated a million times. it comes down to personal preference. its like arguing if apple or oranges are better.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Rookie

r
Attached Thumbnails Nitro Vs Electric-awjeeznotthisshitagain2om8.jpg  
Old 01-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Suspended

Electric

Nitro is too expensive in the long run.
Electric is cheaper in the long run.
Electric CAN beat nitro due to being able to run in a straight line full blast with no heat issues.
A nitro cannot do that, because the engine would either quit, or give itself up working.
RC Driver issue #48
December Buyers Guide I bought at Golfland recently because it had the B44 in it.

It's all depending on what your interested in the most.
I perfer electric over gas because I dont race every week and
nitro requires alot of mantience. If you like tuning a motor go nitro.
If you like the smell and sound nitro is your choice.

Last edited by bmaglinger; 01-22-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Electric can run full blast with no heat issues? All this time I thought when an esc thermals it was a bad thing lol.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

SOME OF OUR LOCAL GUYS AND I HAD THIS DISCUSSION AWHILE BACK. SO WE ADDED UP WHAT WE SPENT FOR ELECTRIC AND NITRO IN ONE YEAR AND IT WAS ABOUT 300.00 CHEAPER TO RUN NITRO FOR 1 YEAR THAN ELECTRIC
Old 01-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hyperguy
SOME OF OUR LOCAL GUYS AND I HAD THIS DISCUSSION AWHILE BACK. SO WE ADDED UP WHAT WE SPENT FOR ELECTRIC AND NITRO IN ONE YEAR AND IT WAS ABOUT 300.00 CHEAPER TO RUN NITRO FOR 1 YEAR THAN ELECTRIC
so it's close enough that it doesn't make a difference at all

nice use of caps lock BTW
Old 01-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by hyperguy
thats impossible, a good nitro buggy without and engine is like 500

you can get an electric buggy for 250 (200 for academy ) a top of the line brushless system for 300 a 80 dollars lipo and a charger for 120 (ice)
so thats about 750.

for nitro its 500 for the car, around 200 for an OK nothing top of the line engine and you still have to buy a charger even though it doesnt have to be as good as electric. so thats around 750 as well.

for nitro thought you have to pay 30 dollars a gallon all the time while electric you will use the same equipment for years. also if you buy a top of the line engine for a nitro its gonna be around 100 just for car and engine. also electrics need one not so good servo while a nitro needs 2 servos and the steering one needs to be really good.

there is no way nitro is 300 cheaper then electric.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr_X
thats impossible, a good nitro buggy without and engine is like 500

you can get an electric buggy for 250 (200 for academy ) a top of the line brushless system for 300 a 80 dollars lipo and a charger for 120 (ice)
so thats about 750.

for nitro its 500 for the car, around 200 for an OK nothing top of the line engine and you still have to buy a charger even though it doesnt have to be as good as electric. so thats around 750 as well.

for nitro thought you have to pay 30 dollars a gallon all the time while electric you will use the same equipment for years. also if you buy a top of the line engine for a nitro its gonna be around 100 just for car and engine. also electrics need one not so good servo while a nitro needs 2 servos and the steering one needs to be really good.

there is no way nitro is 300 cheaper then electric.
Couldnt agree more- Let's not forget all that 'down' time trying to get the engine started and the amount of practice you miss when the engine is not running correctly. Or the engine stalls, or the car cant sit and idle properly, or changing spark plugs, or the oil Sh*t that gets blown allover the place OR the...you get the point, I wont rub it in.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Tech Initiate

preference. it really all boils down to preference.

i really enjoy just being able to take my B44 out to some nicely groomed section of dirt and asphalt and grass and make a little course out of it. I don't race, and I don't really "bash" (if hitting jumps is bashing) -- i just like to do circuit runs on offroad terrain. My 2 1/2 year old son loves it, too.

I improvise, and it's fun, relatively inexpensive once I got my spare parts bin stocked, and it gives me great satisfaction to tune and tweak my car after the family is off to bed -- no noise issues. And of course, this only happens once the dual suspension mountain bike maintenance is complete ;-)

for ME the awesome thing is having an ultra-lightweight racecar with enormous performance and trying to keep it all in check by regular maintenance and driving with finesse. And trying not to break anything, at the same time trying to go fast.

If more tracks opened in my area I'd love to race again (i raced AE when i was a teen in the 80s), but driving 60 miles to a track doesn't really suit my paternal lifestyle.

So, the point of this post is that electric has come so far that the performance is way above and beyond what mere mortals can handle in ad-hoc track conditions, and that the extra overhead with Nitros would just ruin the impromptu running sessions with my son that are so great now.

I know this is a different tack from your original post, but I wanted to chime in from the personal experience.

Cheers,

-- Font9a
Old 01-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Tech Addict

I too find the costs put forward a bit extreme,Even if the initial setup costs were the same, Providing I don't break the car my costs are a couple sets of tires, a couple bottles of shock oil, and batteries for my transmitter.

$60?

If you want to add another $60 for breakages.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Have you seen how much tires for 1/8th scale buggy/truggy are? It's insane. You can put cheap tires on a fullsize car for the price of them. That is another added expense- because I see people go through them quite often. With electric you get way more options of tires because they dont cost an arm and a leg (and that is just one aspect). The same can be applied to motors (more power? throw in the 5.5, less? throw in the 7.5). and it goes on...
Old 01-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

I love both, and I race both. Electric is fun and clean, nitro is fun and not so clean. As far as down time tunning engines in nitro, not so much. Tunning is not a mystery, people make it out to be worse that it trully is. It comes down to, do you want to be clean or dirty racing your car. The correct answer is, yes.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
I love both, and I race both. Electric is fun and clean, nitro is fun and not so clean. As far as down time tunning engines in nitro, not so much. Tunning is not a mystery, people make it out to be worse that it trully is. It comes down to, do you want to be clean or dirty racing your car. The correct answer is, yes.
I like that post.

Though you can get the odd utter bastard engines that never runs right from new, and steadily gets worse, Untill you find your spending all your time trying to run the damn thing rather then driving the car.

Frustrating, and can ruin it for some people, especially when you have to fork out a couple of hundred bucks for a new engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.