R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Losi XXX-CR "Clear Grease" (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/201289-losi-xxx-cr-clear-grease.html)

princevaliant 01-17-2008 04:03 AM

Losi XXX-CR "Clear Grease"

Hi,

I am in the process of building my xxx-cr and there is no clear grease inside any of the bags. There is only a light brown one called "Synthetic Lubricant". Does this mean that I need to go out and buy a tube of the stuff. If thats the case then this is very poor on Losi's part.

Thanks,
Robert.

schmelme 01-17-2008 05:43 AM

Dont use the synthetic grease. Get AE black grease for the thrust and clear for the balls/rings. When you tighten it dont bottom the srcew all the way. Tighten it little by little + 1/4turn.

princevaliant 01-17-2008 01:45 PM

Thanks for the reply. However my problem isnt about how to build the diff. I have built diffs before. It is the fact that the Clear Grease, which is obviously a crucial component wasnt included in the kit box.

Jason Pelletier 01-17-2008 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by princevaliant (Post 4087720)
Thanks for the reply. However my problem isnt about how to build the diff. I have built diffs before. It is the fact that the Clear Grease, which is obviously a crucial component wasnt included in the kit box.

Yea thats some BS. I think even low totem pole tamiyas come with grease.

schmelme 01-17-2008 02:18 PM

The recent losi kits use the synthetic grease on both parts of diff. Its junk tho.

BillyCaldwell 01-17-2008 02:19 PM

Fishing reel lube from walmart etc is worth a shot.

Sandbagger! 01-17-2008 02:21 PM

As Schmelme stated. Just use the AE clear and black grease for the few extra bucks. You will be much happier in the end. The diff is one of the most critical components in helping these cars steer.

Jason Pelletier 01-17-2008 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sandbagger! (Post 4087828)
As Schmelme stated. Just use the AE clear and black grease for the few extra bucks. You will be much happier in the end. The diff is one of the most critical components in helping these cars steer.

so true.

gndprx 01-17-2008 02:32 PM

I've always used Trinity lube and been happy with it.

AE is good as well.

ChrisWolfson 01-17-2008 02:51 PM

I would stick to the clear grease if you can get it. I don't think I've heard of anyone using the tan grease on the diff balls. Maybe it's an oversight from the person that packed the kit.

Mr_X 01-17-2008 05:22 PM

for the diff balls use the associated stealth diff grease and for the thrust balls use black grease. i never used anything but the associated diff grease its the best.

princevaliant 01-17-2008 11:10 PM

Well I'm not happy with that. I know other people have been asking the same question on other forums so it isnt a once off mistake. It seems they are leaving it out on purpose maybe to save a buck.

bill941 01-17-2008 11:54 PM

[QUOTE=ChrisWolfson;4087930]I would stick to the clear grease if you can get it. I don't think I've heard of anyone using the tan grease on the diff balls. Maybe it's an oversight from the person that packed the kit.[/QUO

I think that's the case because I just put together a xxxt-cr it had the clear stuff in the kit

nutz4rcyktw 01-18-2008 07:41 AM

Clear Grease

The last Losi kit I put together had both the white and clear grease in it. I use AE black on thrust and AE diff grease on the rest. It works great.

I think your kit may be some cost saving measure with the brown stuff.

bill941 01-18-2008 07:46 AM

I got the brown stuff too but according the manual it's used on the thrust washers the clear stuff is for the diff rings and balls