17.5 in Off-Road

Old 04-30-2008, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Old 04-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If I remeber correctly, about 8-9 years ago Eric Pesto I believe won stock nats in truck with a slipper eliminator. That was of course on a decently smooth track, with a driver capable of winning a national title with old stock motors and batts, much less power than we have now. If you run on a bumpy track... under acceleration bad news. You also have to be careful landing on power, the idler gear in the tranny is the first to go. We may run the slipper locked but it is still better than not havong one at all. As for the drivers that get paid to do this, I would wager none of them have driven a 17.5, and cant remember the last time they raced stock, and when they did it was with a slipper anyway. The best thing really is to try it for yourself. $20 for the eliminator, $4 for a gear and let her rip.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Dave...I've been calling up the few pros and experts I have in my book to hit them up about the need for a slipper in stock...the overwhelming consensus is that it's not "mission critical".
Humm, perhaps not... Given that diffs have improved significantly, metal outdrives instead of plastic, coil springs instead of those damn warped washers, perhaps not at least for the diff durability. And I do run the slipper fairly tight given the increased traction we have nowdays. Guess I need to experiment some this weekend.

Does this mean that you guys are going to make fun of my Hydra Drive?

Last edited by Dave H; 04-30-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Alllrighty...I should have a few prototypes by the first of the week.

The cost is pretty close to what I was hoping, so I should be able to sell them cheaper than what that other guy was selling his for (trying to keep it at or below $15) ...and no set screws. It's going to have the proper broached hole, same shape as the stock slipper plates, bolt on -- bolt off.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get them in my hands. If everything works out, I should have the production parts within a couple weeks.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I tried Turbo Joe's adapter on my RB5. Stock gearing limits on an RB5 are at or near 30/76. With the adapter, I went 34/65. Man, what a difference! The car was so fast I broke a shock end on the first lap (got greedy on the ski jump)

All I gotta say is, what's a 27 turn? Thanks, Joe!!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Those things RUN when you have some gear. I have 300 of them made, we're just working on getting the holes broached. I even have the spacers for the Losi and AE trannies here now...

Hopefully soon...hopefully for the Shootout.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Those things RUN when you have some gear. I have 300 of them made, we're just working on getting the holes broached. I even have the spacers for the Losi and AE trannies here now...

Hopefully soon...hopefully for the Shootout.
i'm in for one when there ready.