Wiki Posts
Search

Mid West Winter Champs Comments

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Mid West Winter Champs Comments

Heard something everyone could appericate at the Winter Champs.
I was hanging around one of the AE pro drivers and he made the following comment. "That motor had too much power for me."

I find this very interesting in that this guy I would say is in the top 3 in the nation for Electric Off-Road. He was giving a 4.5 brushless away cause he said it was uncontrollable.

Now all of you might be saying why is this important. I think its important for our hobby because it proves that you dont need the best batteries or the most powerful motor. Heck he gave it away. I think we all can learn from this.

Also for those that were there we saw how crazy power is in these cars. In the exposition class 1/8 scale electric buggy these guys were shoting there cars over 15 feet into the air and over 30 foot in distance. The cars were totally out of control. It was neat to watch but not fun to watch. I far more enjoyed watching the 2wd stock A. Control and management goes a long way over power and totally out of control.

Just my two cents worth.

I must say one more thing. I am always impressed with the guys at CRCRC. They put on a world class event and with some of the best attending it is a true joy to watch.

Thanks CRCRC

Hitman
Old 01-15-2008, 04:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default the race

I enjoyed following the race on
http://johnnyboydotca.blogspot.com/

I must say that here in North America we don't have an Oople.com photo-journalist (Jimmy) that really takes the commentary to a pro level yet however John Summach not only is a great driver / source for rc insight, but he's got the makings for a great RC journalist!!

thanks John, living vicariously is the next best thing

Dana nana nana nana Nana nana nana nana Batman!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hitman
Heard something everyone could appericate at the Winter Champs.
I was hanging around one of the AE pro drivers and he made the following comment. "That motor had too much power for me."

I find this very interesting in that this guy I would say is in the top 3 in the nation for Electric Off-Road. He was giving a 4.5 brushless away cause he said it was uncontrollable.

Now all of you might be saying why is this important. I think its important for our hobby because it proves that you dont need the best batteries or the most powerful motor. Heck he gave it away. I think we all can learn from this.

Also for those that were there we saw how crazy power is in these cars. In the exposition class 1/8 scale electric buggy these guys were shoting there cars over 15 feet into the air and over 30 foot in distance. The cars were totally out of control. It was neat to watch but not fun to watch. I far more enjoyed watching the 2wd stock A. Control and management goes a long way over power and totally out of control.

Just my two cents worth.

I must say one more thing. I am always impressed with the guys at CRCRC. They put on a world class event and with some of the best attending it is a true joy to watch.

Thanks CRCRC

Hitman
I enjoyed watching all the top drivers. There driving skill are incredible. As far as giving the stuff away... You get free, you give free. If he wants another his sponsors give him another.

I appreciate your observations on the Electric 1/8th scale class. Those cars can be CRAZY fast. But they were not totally out of control... If I was out of control... When I hit the triple I would have ended up over by the bleachers. That is how much power these vehicles have.
I was driving one of them.. and I would say that we were on average using 1/4- 1/2 throttle. And... MOST of the class were not A MAIN drivers at their local tracks and this was their first time at a "BIG" event. That would contribute to what you call "out of control".
After the start of the race, the field stretched out and the pre race jitters calmed down, I think we put on a great show and demonstrated what Bob Novak called the next big thing in RC.
We are on the ground floor of development of these vehicles. We have great chassis's. The ESC's are way behind the motor and battery technology. We have been working with the ESC manufactures to provide them with info about what we experience on the track as they develop their products for this class.
Adam Drake once told me,"Just remember...You always have the power... it just a matter of knowing when to use it."
The Electric 1/8th scales have tremendous power. We are still on a steep learning curve with these vehicles. We are pretty sure we found the optimum motors for the class. The majority of us are using a ESC designed for a 10th scale vehicle!!! The Mamba MAX is really the only one out there that is reasonable priced and handles the loads. Most who have tried other ESC's have met with failure.
I would like to thank the 1/10th scale racers for sharing the track with us. We appreciated the opportunity that the crew at CRCRC and our fellow racers provided us to put on an exhibition race with these great vehicles.
Everyone who drove my buggy gave me positive feedback.

I would also like to thank Panther Tire, Dave Kingston and John LoGuidice for stepping up and supporting this class with tires and wheels for all entries in this class.
Dan
Old 01-15-2008, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For those of us could not attend the Live Feed was great we got to keep up and watch friends race live GREAT JOB by CRCRC!!!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

the 1/8 scales were awesome. Going to build me one. Hope they have the class next year. If they do I will be there.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I am thinking you are talking about Cavaleri as I heard similar words. I was a little surprised with the choice he made for such a big track with crazy traction (I think he ended up using a 6.5 in his 4wd). But hey, you need to control it to win! I think that was his first big race using a brushless motor as well.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sambonee
I enjoyed following the race on
http://johnnyboydotca.blogspot.com/

I must say that here in North America we don't have an Oople.com photo-journalist (Jimmy) that really takes the commentary to a pro level yet however John Summach not only is a great driver / source for rc insight, but he's got the makings for a great RC journalist!!

thanks John, living vicariously is the next best thing

Dana nana nana nana Nana nana nana nana Batman!!!
Thanks for the kind words! If the internet connection wasn't down all the time, I could have done hour by hour updates (I had to wait till I got back to the hotel and I was usually pretty bagged at that point). That was my first time trying that kind of thing and it was pretty fun (it will get better in the future as I figure out that Blog stuff and camera settings). I was surprised at how many people were checking in on it! Hopefully I can make it to some other good events and provide some coverage....anyone want to fly me to the Nationals? LOL.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

I just wanted to say that the race was a blast and that team HB had a great time. Special thanks goes out to the CRCRC crew for working so hard to provide a track with awesome traction in such a short period of time. It was nice to meet so many great people from a different region and I can't wait to get back out there next year....hopefully there will be more snow next time.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
But hey, you need to control it to win! I think that was his first big race using a brushless motor as well.
http://rc10.com/racerhub/races/2007/racereport15.htm

Originally Posted by Rc10.com
This also marked Cavalieri’s first win with brushless technology. Utilizing the LRP Sphere TC Spec speed control in his T4, combined with a 6.5 turn motor, Cavalieri laid the wood to the competition and is now hooked on the brushless power.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

yes but that race was only 180 entries, with a very small track, so think crcrc was a little differnt for him.

Only thing i suggest for next years race is maybe a lander for the big jump would be nice( it way to none existaning for eletric and i heard some pro guys might not be back because of it) and put water down on the dirt floors every night to keep the dust down.

On a up note, for my first big big event i had a great time and thought the rest of the track was dialed besides the triple. GREAT JOB CRCRC!!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Dj,

That in no way was suppose to come off as a slam on 1/8 scale electric. We (the group I run with) are already thinking about these things for dirt oval. So please accept my appoligizes for it sounding that way. You guys did excellent and by no means did I mean any harm. All I was trying to point out is these cars are really powerful. Nothing more. So I am really sorry.

Hitman
Old 01-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys for the kind words and complements.

The dust from the pits, it was scheduled to be watered, however I failed to mention in the drivers meeting to please not leave anything on the ground so we could water. Many people left their stuff on the floor so we decided not to ruin peoples gear.

I agree with many people about the down side of the triple, It is something that will be addressed in futrure track builds. Thanks for the constructive critisim.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It almost looked like it was never designed to be a triple. As a double, it had a great downside and then a step up to the turn to the right. But I think because it sloped down a little after the step up, everyone thought it looked like a triple so they went for it. I also think it was faster to double it anyway and if done right, drivers were shooting off to the right eliminating the stall from recovering from the triple. I watched Cavalieri, along with other pros, opt to double it most of the time too. Except for 4wheel drive... those guys were killing it!!
Old 01-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

I sat there and timed it. It was about a 1/2 second faster to triple it...only if you nailed it properly though and you risked breaking a part from the harsh landing or if you were offline. Not too many people could hit it consistantly though and lost time with bouncing or overshooting the landing.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My son and I enjoyed the race. The triple was insane but manageable if you double-singled it. Otherwise, you risked breaking or landing off kilter and bouncing around. There were a couple blind spots on the track that claimed a few buggies. My son was leading his main and his buggy disappeared in one and came out in the marshal's hand. I asked him what happened and he didn't know. He couldn't see it. Other than that, great race.

I agree about the marshals too. Some were just out to lunch.

Last edited by SpeedyDad; 01-15-2008 at 03:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.