Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Mid West Winter Champs Comments >

Mid West Winter Champs Comments

Mid West Winter Champs Comments

Old 01-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big Dog
I agree with many people about the down side of the triple, It is something that will be addressed in futrure track builds. Thanks for the constructive critisim.
It was fun to watch people launch it and hell it was even fun to do it if I didn't break, but I think the biggest concern is safety.

Are there medics on site this weekend? This week only had around 20 1/8 cars, next week will have 120, and then truggies and PMT going for it. I see at least one marshall getting hurt, but hopefully not. I know if I were a marshall, I wouldn't flip anything over until there wasn't anybody on the front stretch. Would suck to get hit in the head with a 10 lb car.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

One suggestion for next week regarding the marshals of the triple. Get a broom handler and attach some sort of sturdy hook to it. That way, the marshal does not have to risk injury when retrieving a vehicle. They simply stand outside the triple and hook it with the pole and pull it out. I almost got hit during one of the mains by a buggy in flight.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

This was the first big race that my son and I traveled to. Needless to say, we had a great time, and hopefully we'll get the chance to go again.

Just some random thoughts from the weekend,
The Good;
1. A HUGE thanks goes out to the entire CRCRC crew for putting on such an incredible event, Thanks for all your hard work!
2. The on-site food was spectacular, the best we've ever had at any track
3. The pit boards ROCK! Best awards I've ever seen at any race
4. I've never owned an 1/8 scale, but if I ever do, it's going to be ELECTRIC POWERED

The Bad;
1. The dirt/dust was a problem in the pits. Throw down some astro-turf or something for next year.
2. A taller drivers stand would be a nice improvement for next year.
3. I don't understand why some drivers think they don't need to marshal after they practice or race. Come on dudes, Get your *** out there

The Ugly;
1. My driving, yeah, it was real ugly

Thanks again CRCRC crew,
Curt Cayemberg
Old 01-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brandon Melton
It was fun to watch people launch it and hell it was even fun to do it if I didn't break, but I think the biggest concern is safety.

Are there medics on site this weekend? This week only had around 20 1/8 cars, next week will have 120, and then truggies and PMT going for it. I see at least one marshall getting hurt, but hopefully not. I know if I were a marshall, I wouldn't flip anything over until there wasn't anybody on the front stretch. Would suck to get hit in the head with a 10 lb car.
I haven't been back out to the track yet, but there were some changes made to hopefully improve safety.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:40 PM
J_P
Tech Addict

I'll quote my self from another thread....can you quote yourself?

"BEST RACE ON THE EAST SIDE OF THE COUNTRY!!"
Old 01-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Question on tires

How in the world did the guys get the tires to slicks. I think most everyone was running inside jobs but if not what was run and how did they turn them down? This is especially interesting for the fronts on the 2wd and trucks....

I have to tell you that was the coolest thing I have ever seen. When I saw those trucks and 2wd cars going down the strait pulling the wheels with SLICKS!!!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Tech Champion

you can use a dremel or a belt sander.. dremel lets you see your work and is way faster. you could also purchase panther slicks, and scuff the shine off them.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The track was fun but it did have some serious blind spots and the triple can be very dangerous. I'm just glad that I'm not going for the nitro weekend someone is going to be hauled off in an ambulance marshalling that triple.

Other than the blind spots and dangerous marshalling it was a fun time. "Watch the triple!!!" AHH nightmares!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:41 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Using a corded dremel with a dull sanding drum or a finer grit sanding drum does the trick!
Old 01-16-2008, 05:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hitman
Dj,

That in no way was suppose to come off as a slam on 1/8 scale electric. We (the group I run with) are already thinking about these things for dirt oval. So please accept my appoligizes for it sounding that way. You guys did excellent and by no means did I mean any harm. All I was trying to point out is these cars are really powerful. Nothing more. So I am really sorry.

Hitman
Thanks Hitman.
They are great on dirt oval!! I haven't raced it on the oval but ran on the Stateline RC oval in between races. Absolutely awesome.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sprocket
The track was fun but it did have some serious blind spots and the triple can be very dangerous. I'm just glad that I'm not going for the nitro weekend someone is going to be hauled off in an ambulance marshalling that triple.

Other than the blind spots and dangerous marshalling it was a fun time. "Watch the triple!!!" AHH nightmares!
Unfortunately one marshall was hit in the face during the practice day. Fortunately he was not seriously injured. LARGE scrapes Just below the eye and all the way down to his jawbone. A lot of bleeding initially.
With the noise of all the Nitros, I am very worried someone will be seriously injured.
The pole and hook for the marshal is a good idea.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

I am still falling asleep hearing "Watch the triple" "roll the triple".Jeez that was annoying all week.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Pole and hook idea is great but it will not solve any issues due to all of the drivers totally missing the landing of the triple.. Just get rid of that jump.. maybe a fun double double or something.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Watch the triple.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well... it is thursday and somebody should be posting some info soon...
Please link it here if you come across any pics.
Thanks
Dan