Wiki Posts
Search

Pro's and cons of the Race Legal brushless systems

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default Pro's and cons of the Race Legal brushless systems

I am looking to get a Race legal brushless system, though, some of the prices that are being floated out there are almost heart stoppers ($250+) compared to what I have had previously (CC Mamba Max setup, $170).

This will be going into a 2wd buggy or truck, and a VERY slim chance possibly a 4wd buggy.

Right now, the two main players I am seeing are LRP or Novak, with possibly Tekin coming from behind with there sensorless system.

Reading up on stormers site there appears to be issues with the Tekin using 13.5 or slower motors, so I am right now looking primarily at the Novak or LRP because of this.

So, of the two brands, what are the pros and cons people are experiencing for each system? If you can give a bulleted list that would be great. Also, if you have a link to a place with the best price, please post that too.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

the lrp sphere comp and gtb are both good, but for 2wd off road the sphere is smoother, the gtb is good also but is bigger then the sphere or taller i should say. These are great esc's. i dunno why the mamba is so much cheaper but i have learned you get what you pay for in this hobby, most of the time.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Tech Legend

The mamba actually works very well for the money. would go with it again if it had race level motors for it. Currently a mamba max powers my brushless 1/8 buggy.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

I believe the Mamba is sensorless. I would not buy a sensorless setup. I love my Sphere.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It also depends on the car you are putting it in... if you have a losi the sphere/ novak 10.5 is a great combo for the car....it gives the losi the punch it needs.....if you have a b4 or rb5 the sphere/peak10.5 is the way to go with that car because it gives a smoother response...
Old 01-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by plack75
It also depends on the car you are putting it in... if you have a losi the sphere/ novak 10.5 is a great combo for the car....it gives the losi the punch it needs.....if you have a b4 or rb5 the sphere/peak10.5 is the way to go with that car because it gives a smoother response...
+1
Old 01-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Legend

Mamba is sensorless, had no complaints on the several I have owned concerning racing conditions for the class I ran them in. But with the slower brushless units, seems to be issues with sensorless systems so I am looking at sensored ones.

For the LRP Sphere, I see there are different versions, can anyone give a breakdown on these?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Love my Novak GTB and Novak Velociti Motors!!!!

Novak dominated the top 5 in points at the ECNS that had 20 minute Electric Truck Mains! Fast, Smooth and Reliable!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

sphere comp has more profiles, improved hardware and a lipo cutoff i believe. i wouldnt reccommend the other one from what i have read.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

I have used both and prefer the LRP Sphere Comp.... In this case IMO Blue is better. This coming from a guy that his screen name is "Orange" Hahaha

If you knew me and knew how I feel about the color Orange, you would think to yourself, "Man I better get the blue one"
Old 01-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Orange
If you knew me and knew how I feel about the color Orange, you would think to yourself, "Man I better get the blue one"
I do know this guy... and he's serious... his obsession with the color orange is beyond believable.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Tech Champion

yea i love my sphurz !!!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

I find that the LRP Sphere Competition can be a little smoother on the lower rpm range than the Novak GTB, which I feel is more important in a 2wd application. I also like the setup button, light and wiring arangment on the LRP better as well as the programming. I don't recommend the regular Sphere brushless speed control - I only recommend the competition versions.

I recommend the Novak brushless motors however, the Novak motors have larger screws that hold together the can better. The small 2-56 screws the LRP motors use have a tendency to strip out the aluminum can of the motor. I've actually have custom replacment higher quality aluminum rings made to repair my LRP motors.

So I recommend using products from both manufacturers
Old 01-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Tech Legend

Thanks for the info guys.

For the LRP, I see they have two competition versions, for offroad applications, since you can setup the ESCs, does it really matter? Reason being, I can find the TC version cheaper.

Finally, do the LRP competitions come with the fans shown and are the fans necessary?
Old 01-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Scrubb
I find that the LRP Sphere Competition can be a little smoother on the lower rpm range than the Novak GTB, which I feel is more important in a 2wd application. I also like the setup button, light and wiring arangment on the LRP better as well as the programming. I don't recommend the regular Sphere brushless speed control - I only recommend the competition versions.

I recommend the Novak brushless motors however, the Novak motors have larger screws that hold together the can better. The small 2-56 screws the LRP motors use have a tendency to strip out the aluminum can of the motor. I've actually have custom replacment higher quality aluminum rings made to repair my LRP motors.

So I recommend using products from both manufacturers
Excellent info here, The novak motors are really good and you can get different color rings and the endbells are sold seprately if you want. I myself use peak vantage bl's with my sphere comps a 7.5 in my 4wd and 10.5 in my 2wd. same as orion vortex, these are ultra smooth motors. The only thing that is not cool about the novak motors is the sensor wire is built in so if it gets damaged you need to send it in for repair but if you tuck it away out of harm you will not have any problems. Alternativly if its not connected to the motor you have to buy seperate and adds like 8 bills to the cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.