Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Question on Lipo cutoff not working possibly? >

Question on Lipo cutoff not working possibly?

Question on Lipo cutoff not working possibly?

Old 01-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default Question on Lipo cutoff not working possibly?

Ok all is well with my setup- those of you that dont know Im running FT T4 with 57KMamba and 6000 mah 2's and 3's lipo. I have my auto cutoff set on the mamba because I run in between the two packs when I go to the park or road bashing. I am still new to the the new brushless/lipo world and I just want to make sure I am not doing anything wrong......I run the pack down with no worries because I know that the Auto-cutoff is on. Today I ran the
2's lipo for 42 min...now I fiqured that the battery would run strong until the cutoff did its thing, but then the car got sluggish at the end of the run like the battery was dying quick. Not wanting to over discharge I cut the battery off and unplugged it. Now is the cut off slowly stopping the car or is the cutoff not engaging and i am actually running out of juice. I really dont want to puff a new battery. How is it susposed to act when the battery cutoff has engaged...just so I know mine is acting correctly. I am afraid to run the 3's this low just because I dont know. When the car is turned on it beeps 2 or 3 times acknowledging which battery is correctly connected. I just figured that the car would run run run until it all of sudden stops when it hits the cutoff volts by the esc. Any help to clear up my confusion would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Tech Adept

Make sure you have the cell count for the cutoff set correctly. It will slow down some before the cutoff kicks in, but it shouldn't be drastic. I usually pull my cars off of the track before the cutoff does it's thing, I can always tell when the pack goes soft, it is time to pull the car.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use 2s packs, and i use a custom setting on my MM esc. 6.3 volts. This setting seems to cut the juice right before they get sluggish. i didn't trust the auto-cell count setting either.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

i understand the auto lipo cutoff is sketchy. but If I bring two packs to play with one of each its the only option to set the auto lipo. My question is is it customary for the pack to drain or slow before the actaul cutoff takes place. Its just not conveinent to custom set the cutoff for each pack. Should I worry?
Old 01-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Its a good question? I would guess if you set the cut off at 6.3 and its sluggish then maybe your packs are dumping at 6.4 or 6.5?
call these guys.
http://www.castlecreations.com/

They have a down load on this page.
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/mamba_max.html

Scroll down to the Mamba Max guide. I think 6.3 is the lowest you can discharge which makes me think it will start dumping around 6.6 or so.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have pretty much the exact same set up as you. When the battery is getting close to hitting the cut off on mine it will slow down significantly for about 2 laps before it quits. So i would say its normal.