Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless vs Brush 2wd offroad

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Brushless vs Brush 2wd offroad

What is the advantage to getting a brush motor? They cost just as much as the brushless?

Am I missing something? What are the pro's and con's? I don't see why it would make sense to get a brush system.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

In mod racing I don't see the point to go with a brushed motor except for personal preference. In stock, brushless motors are not officially legal in sanctioned events.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Tech Regular

No advantage to brushed motors, unless your into bench time??? Or you just have no choise as to the class you want to race in.

Brushless is more efficient i.e. less heat, longer run times.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

"Pro stock" is the 19t class at my track...in that class we run BL (10.5 limit) and 19t brushed motors, lipo or 6cell all together. It's really a toss-up from week to week, Brushed and Lipo might TQ one week...Brushed and 6Cell TQ'd last night...some of the fastest drivers run both lipo and BL....There is no cookie-cutter blanket advantage either way.

I run BL and Lipo simply for the fact that it allows me to to spend more time on the track.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:36 AM
Tech Addict

I think it was 8 out of 10 at the last offroad worlds ran brushed in 2WD mod, the only brushless runners were the Novak guys.

It's probably not so bad with the new Novak Light motors but generally brushless have too much torque down low for 2WD, especially on a low grip surface, brushed have a much softer low end which equals more traction and less wheelspin.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:54 AM
Tech Master

I think you'll find what the guys us in international meetings is down to what their sponsors tell them to use!

If you think about it then there is not much point fitting a system you can't sell to the public on one of your drivers cars as the day after there will be comments like the following all over the net

"Company X must think their brushed motors suck if they risked using experimental parts at the worlds"

"Company X, ha not supporting them ... can never buy what their team are using so how are you supposed to compete"

etc

etc

etc
Old 01-06-2008, 05:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Brushed motors are cheaper to buy in differents winds for more or less power. You can use the same can and buy different armatures for very cheap. If you travel to different tracks frequently that have different levels of traction, its nice to have power options, and being able to swap them easily.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Scrubb
Brushed motors are cheaper to buy in differents winds for more or less power. You can use the same can and buy different armatures for very cheap. If you travel to different tracks frequently that have different levels of traction, its nice to have power options, and being able to swap them easily.

I've been realy liking the Ammo motors from towerhobbies.com $32-$35 with a few $69 in just about any KV you want. Good product and cheap.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Personally, I think I have alot more control of a car with a brushed motor than with brushless. I've tried setting drag in a bl system, but it never did feel right.

Especially on the tight tracks I run at , a brushed motor just seems alot more consistent.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Brushless Vs. Brushed

I currently still run brushed but only due to lack of funds for a brushless setup. Main advantage that no one has mentioned is the expected life span of a brushless motor is rediculiously longer than a brushed. You can literally put it in your car and not even touch it for a year. Between life span and maintence the brushless setup wins hands down. Don't forget about all the brushes and motor spray you have to buy to go with a brushed setup. As far as performance they are about equal with a little more run time with the brushless. I also race with sponsored guys and they run what their sponsor gives them brushed or brushless.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

I hear ya with the difficulty to drive factor....I run a 13.5 and that motor is just nutty at the bottom end...Instant crazy torque at any rpm level. Most of the BL guys are having to run extremely low gear ratios to calm down the power delivery. I'm running 28/76 in my B4 and I'm still loosening the slipper clutch a little more than usual just to make the car drive like it's not punched out of it's mind!

I've got my ESC settings dialed in perfect, the off-throttle feels great and it's as linear as the settings allow, but those 13.5....they sure are stump pullers!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

One thing no one has pointed out is that the have different braking characteristics. Yes BL motors have insane torque but that also makes them brake harder. Something that you really have to get down if you want to go fast with a 2wd. A brushed motor almost acts like it has antilock brakes when compared to a brushless motro which is more like pulling the E-Brake on your car.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think you really have to try both in order to see what suits you better. Brushed motors have a great feel to them...very linear in my opinion. I think low turn brushless is harder to control with all the power they can deliver, which means you have to have a well trained throttle finger.

The expensive brushed motors such as the checkpoints are well worth it in my opinion.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

the braking (for me atleast) has been controlled/adjusted all by the radio and ESC adjustments. I just take out the brake strength in the trigger on the radio and add drag brake on the ESC...so far I've been able to replicate a brushed motor very well.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Brushed = more maintnance, increased drag break, cheaper to buy.

Brushless = Less maintnance, increaded run time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.