Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Newbie(sort of) looking for advice >

Newbie(sort of) looking for advice

Newbie(sort of) looking for advice

Old 12-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Newbie(sort of) looking for advice

This is my first post here so first let me start off by saying hello and hope you all can bare with me . Back in the early 90's I used to have a Blackfoot that I first got to run around my driveway, shortly after that I started racing it until my local hobby shop burned down. Since then I haven't touched an R/C car or truck but a few months ago I started tinkering with my old Blackfoot trying to get it up and running but i've come to the conclusion that its beyond repair which leads me up to a few days ago. I started looking online for a new electric off road truck and did some research on the Team Associated RC10T4. Today I went to my local hobby shop to check it out and I got to talking to the guy, he asked me if I would be using this mostly for fun or racing. I told him I would like to get back into racing at some point but for now it would be just for me to run around my house. He then suggested a few other trucks that would be lesser in cost. One was the Traxxas Rustler and the other was the DuraTrax Evader. He said the Rustler was built like a tank but wasn't as quick as the T4. So i'm just trying to get some information and opinions before I go make a purchase. All 3 trucks i'm looking at are ready to race combo's incase that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If your planning on doing any racing I would just get the T-4 its not going to just fall apart at your house and it will give you a truck you can race with also.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Avoid Traxxas like the plague
J/K, no seriously
I would reccommend you snatch up that T4, It is a strong basher and a serious racer, parts will always be easy to get, and the T4 has all the upgrades you would ever need.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Tech Addict

T4.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys. I was leaning towards the T4, but when faced with options I feel like I need to do my homework first. My next question is whats the difference between the ready to race combo's and the plain kit. I've seen on a few sites that the kit goes for $225, and the RTR combo goes for $240. But for the extra few bucks you get your radio, speed controller and motor. Is there an advantage in either one?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well you're eventually going to want to replace everything that comes with the RTR. The steering servo is going to be weak and slow. The Radio isn't going to have a lot of the features you'll need for racing... main feature being a fast signal. I don't know what speedo or motor comes with it. Another option is the Losi XXXT RTR Brushless. If you're looking to just bash, the XXXT is about equal to the T4 but the big advantage here is that you're not going to have to do ANYTHING to the motor. And the speed controller won't have to be upgraded when you want to start racing. I believe you can go down to a 10.5 brushless with that.

Good Luck
Old 12-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To be honest I would go with the Duratrax because it is good for running in the yard and is set up pretty well for local racing so you wont have to do much for either.The T4 is mainly set up for racing and cost alittle more.Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

A main hobbies.com has the team kit for $169. The more expensive Factory Team kit has a bunch of stuff that you do not need and will not need, even for racing. Do not spend $220 on a T4, Shop around.

Factory Team kit ($220) has carbon composite parts in stead of plastic parts. The plastic is a little more flexible and forgiving in a crash. The carbon parts are stiffer and have little to no give. Carbon is brittle and is not worth the extra money.

As for the ready to run. The radio is cheap, the speed controler is cheap and the motor is cheap. If you even want to be just a little competitive invest once in good electronics. RTR kits are for kids or someone who wants to goof around with a truck in there yard.

My B3 has a Novak Rooster ESC, and a Komodo Dragon 19T motor and is very competitive and quick. The ESC will work with modified motors down to 12 turn. The esc that comes with the RTR kit is about useless and will burn out if you try to put a faster motor in the truck, and the claimed 17t motor that comes with the kit is slightly faster than a bought stock motor.

Honestly speaking, buy a Good ESC a good 19T motor and a good Radio. Buy them once and keep them for a very long time. Dont make the mistake that I did when I got back into RC. I bought the cheapest everything and I ended up replacing everything a month later, which was much more expensive in the long run.

If I had to buy everything all over again, I would order it from Tower Hobbies. Buy the T4 Team Kit,($170) Novak Rooster ($89) or if you want something less expensive the Novak XRS sport ($50) ECS and a Komodo Dragon 19T spec motor ($30). (not the pro version which is $45 and not necessary.) Buy a good radio too. Remember you get what you pay for, especially with electronics.

Also it is wise to get a good battery with a higher mah rating number. The higher the number the longer the runtime. Example a 4400mah will run longer than a 3300mah battery. I wouldnt buy any thing under 3000mah. Thats just me though.

I am sure many will post that this is good advice, and others may not agree, especially with brands. Coke, Pepsi. Chevy, Ford, ect....

I was just down the same path you currently are, about 8 months ago. The parts that I mentioned above were what I was eventually satisfied with after I bought cheap crap, re sold it on ebay for half of what I paid for it, and bought the equiptment that I should have to begin with.

I just wish someone would have given me a to buy list when I re started the hobby.

Again this is just my opinion and what I would do if I was able to do it over. I hope this is helpful.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

remember , RTR is ready to run , not ready to race , all those trucks have there positive points , but if you even thank you might race the T4 is the only race truck in that group , ray
Old 12-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys. I will probably place my order some point in the next week but i'm still looking for information, so feel free to let me know all I need to know.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

IF THERE IS EVEN A FAINT POSSIBILITY OF YOU GOING TO START RACING GET THE T4 OR THE XXXT BRUSHLESS, THIS TRUCK COMES WITH A 10.5 AND A REV ESC ALL BY NOVAK(EQUAL TO A 17-19 TURN MOTOR), IVE ACTUALLY RAN THIS SET UP IN MY B4 AND DONE VERY WELL. IF YOUR NOT GOING TO RACE THEN GO WITH THE NEW XTM (ELECTRIC) THEY ARE NOT THAT BAD OF A TRUCK
Old 01-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would recommend against the xxxt brushless as the esc that comes with it is novaks old super sport that would fail without reason.

T4 all the way. And do yourself a favor and don't get the rtr if you can afford not to...the motor likes to overheat in general bashing conditions and wears out quickly, the esc may claim artificial intelligence but it doesn't have much, and the radio just won't cut it when it comes to racing.

My personal list I recommend:
T4 team kit
xbr esc (alone or in a combo with the 13.5 motor. Depends on whether your local tracks allow brushless in the stock class or you can go mod with the 8.5)
Spektrum 2.0 radio (comes with a good servo as well)
Old 01-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

hey, not sure if you are still checking out this forum, but def go with Associated. Ease of use, you know, what everyone else said. I would say get the kit, and get all your electronics. It will cost more, but save you from doing the old double negative, of paying for rtr crapola. Then having a bit of cash and getting some other greater then ready to run quality electronics, to find out there crap as well and end up having to by another set of high quality electronics. Trust me, been there dun that If your not too keen on putting the car/truck together see if someone at the hobby shop will do it for you. I know for a few bucks some of the guys at my hobby shop will put anything with wheels together for you.

Good Luck

tim