Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electric off road RC car engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Electric off road RC car engines

Hey fellas, I's pretty new to this, i just purchased myself an electric RC racing gade car from an online hobbies store in cairns. im curious as to whether or not it is simple to interchange motors. are electric motors usually a stardard fit with just more power, i do understand the the power supply wiill most likely have to upgrade along with the motor. but yeah if someone could let me know that it would be alot of help.

P.S. im happy with the motor i have, it keeps up with my mates car however if it came to the day when i want to upgrade, how do i go about it?

Cheers

Last edited by deRRo; 01-04-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

It depends on how low turn motor your car can handle. I am assuming that your truck uses a 540 style motor so there are tons of options for upgrading, if your esc can handle it that is. This is a common motor for upgrading rtr cars and trucks. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJAK3&P=7
Old 01-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

yeah mate it is a 540. so im guessing that motor in the link could be put into my car? would the battery have to change?

Last edited by deRRo; 01-04-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default Batt

No change in battery is required unless you want further power enhancement. Will your ESC handle that motor? Should be some specs for it that will tell you how low a turn motor it can work with.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default engine upgrade

alright sweet, i will look around for a decent motor. but will probably buy an ESC first
Old 01-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This may sound bad but it's for newcomers, so now one else will jump your case about it. So it's all in learning.

Motor=Electric
Engine=Fuel, Nitro, Gas, Alcohol, Petro, etc...

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, ok?
Old 01-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

An engine is something that produces an effect from a given input.---wikipedia

LOL. Now I'm correcting my self thanks to deRRo. I tried to mislead him. So motor/engine--pretty much the same effect where he's from. I'm retarded. I've been corrected a couple of times on here so I just wanted to pass it on before someone created an argument about it.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Smile Engine/motor

haha mate dont worry about it. whether the power source be internal combustion such as the 2-stroke nitros or the electric motors it does the same shit, haha if you claim to have been corrected yourself about saying engine as opposed to motor, ill be sure to say motor.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:23 AM
Tech Adept

If I were gonna have to buy a new esc and a new motor I would just go brushless. I think you can get the mamba max for around 200 usd. Your gonna spend that much easily on a good esc and mod or stock brushed motor.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Getting a faster motor before your driving skills improve will cause alot of broken parts. Start with a 19t motor first.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default yes sir

I can attest to that. The same day I changed the motor on my B4 for a faster one I busted the front wheel arm(don't know the correct name )crashing full speed into a palm tree. I learned, now I only crash into other things, not palm trees.LOL
Old 01-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

My 2 cents, Get the Mamba Max esc (brushless), it will do any brushed motor you want and not even get warm while doing it.

Then pick up a cheap brushless motor (Ammo 36-40-3900) $32 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWZ4&P=7 would be less than insane but way better than brushed (torque and drive time). Then you can upgrade as your skills progress. $119 for the MM isn't a bad price for even a brushed ESC.

Brushless MM ESC with 27T stock- then 19T stock- then 3900KV- then 5700KV.

Good NIMH pack- then 2S lipo(all motors)- then 3S lipo(brushless motors)...
Old 01-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Im going to say get a Mamba Max system, best bang for your buck if your going to be bashing alot rather than racing. Plenty of power even with the low kv motors.