Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting back into RC, Battery Setup Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:07 PM
Tech Adept

Default Getting back into RC, Battery Setup Questions

So over the past few months I have been getting back into the hobby and loving all of the new technology. I currently have a T4 (brushless), 18T (brushless), B44 (will be brushless) and got a new waterproof E-MAXX for Christmas (will be stock for now) and I feel the need to start phasing out my NiMH packs. I'm looking at trying lipo (max amps because they cheap and people seem to like them) and have a Duratrax ICE charger. I am wondering what setup people are using. I was thinking of buying the Hyperion LBA10 Balancer to work with the ICE charger, is this a good balancer, is it hard to use? Or should I buy the new Hyperion EOS0610i 6S 10A Balance Charger ( may need to have both with the way the E-MAXX sucks batteries dry) Thanks in advance for your help, also, I'm a bit worried about safety with Lipo batteries but I think they are getting even safer as the technology advances, plus they're easier to fit in various vehicles than A123 batteries.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I use the electrifly equinox balancer with my ice charger
Old 12-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have the Ice. I also have the Electrifly balancer that I use for my Orion Platinums. The Electrifly balancer is easy to use and works well. Only downside is, the default harness can only do up to 3A and you'd have to spend more to do 6A.

I recently got an LBA10 (A123 capable version) because I also recently got Maxamps saddle lipo (only Lipo option in the market for the B44). After reading instructions, the LBA10 was slightly confusing to use at first (due to more features than the Electrifly) but I am getting the hang of it already. I like that it can do 10A and I just ordered one more and will get rid of the Electrifly balancer. I plan to regularly use the balancers inline with the Ice.

I also took a hard look at the Hyperion 0610i but I found another charger that looks to be from the same OEM manufacturer of the Ice. Since I like the Ice a lot, I chose to get the Megapower Infinity 960SR charger. I will get one more.

Last edited by jobo_ph; 12-31-2007 at 04:57 PM.