R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-29-2007, 12:31 AM   #16
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post
To make your RB5 competitive your going to spend more than $50, with rear arms, hubs, axles, shock shafts that is working on the car, it will be more like $100 more.

Take a look at the Academy GV2

It has more features than any other car on the market out of the box

aluminum arm mounts F&R, uses B4 front wheels (RB5 doesnt), Losi/AE rears, All graphite plastic, beefy 5x10 bearings, bitchin shocks w/bladders, multi-length arms (like Losi), 3 different front kickups in the kit, captured hinge pins, and its cheaper than the others by a bunch..... under $200 at any online shop.

We'll have 4-5 more here in a week or so after I let a bunch of guys run mine last week. There's a few Kyoshos here but the parts supply from Kyosho is scarce.

There's a few here and they are on pace with any other car.
And parts for the GV2 are falling out of the sky?

I have run an RB5 and a B4. They are both great cars. The Academy also sounds good from what people are saying on the web.

As far as the RB5 needing a $100 of parts...thats simply not true. Some people chose to buy a $100 in parts to widen the rear, but it is not "needed". You can lose steering when you do that mod anyway. It's for particular tracks and driving styles. All I got was a Ti turnbuckle set. Been running it consistently since May and have not even broken it once. Both my LHS and the local Hobbytown carry parts and Amain ships anywhere in the continental US in 2-3 days. So if we are comparing apples to oranges here, my Kyosho parts are far easier to get than Academy parts and I live in a large metropolitan area. Can't think of one place that sells Academy locally.

Just thought the RB5 should get a fair shake from someone who is not sponsored or feels required to say such things in forums.

Bottom line is, all the cars out now are going to be competitive for club racing. Get a car that you think will suit you best. The Griffin 2 is the cheapest, the Kyosho is probably the most expensive by a few dollars on average. I wish you luck.
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:46 AM   #17
Tech Adept

I have run Losi, AE and now Kyosho .. Acadmey is not supported very well in the UK at the moment so have only seen 1 car .. which did look to go well I must say.

From what I have driven I'd say

Losi is very stable and jumps well ... lacks turnin a little and needs to be manhandled round for a fast time.

B4 turns very well, less stable than any of the otehrs and can actually feel a little random lap to lap if you know what I mean.

Kyosho RB5 turns like the B4, drives, jumps and is predictable. Basically if you take the best bits of a B4 and XXX and build them into one car you get an RB5.

Yes parts are harder to source but that is just due to the numbers running, as they get more popular the LHS will stock them as that is what their customers demand!
The RB5 is strong, really tough. OK I snapped mine last night but it was a real car killer of an impact ..... we won't say what the B4 that hit me in the air looked like after they had finished hoozering up all the debris!!!! The RB5 just needed a steering knuckle and was ready for battle again in a couple of minutes!

The very best advice is try to get a drive of them all. Some people love the way the B4 handles, others the Losi ...... a safe middle ground is the RB5. Add to that it works well where B4s normally donimate and also at Losi biased tracks too ... win - win!!

By the way, I'm shop sponsored and can drive anything I like and chose the RB5 which is completely stock ..... right down to the turn buckles at the moment!
RogerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:23 AM   #18
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Parts supply is only a problem if you break parts......

I have had my car for 6 months and NEVER broken anything!!! I run it in Mod with no problem. I am glad you like your new car but saying the RB5 (or any other car) NEEDS $100 dollars in extra parts to be competitive is just wrong.

I agree with ChrisWolfson he should get the CR since he already has the Losi truck. Same tools, hardware and some parts interchange. The Losi is a good car no doubt.

Oh, one more thing on the parts issue......Losi ans Associated parts have been hard to get around here. We have two Hobbyshops at our local track and they both are having a tough time getting parts.

As I said before buy one and RACE it!!!! You'll have fun no matter what car you choose!
ccm399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:47 AM   #19
Tech Initiate
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The other thing to keep in mind is, if you have the Losi, I would guess you have standard tools for it. The Kyosho is going to need metric drivers, so there is that added cost if you don't already have them.
Sandbagger! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #20
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Every track is different, but I think the RB is by far the most consistent buggy out there. It seems like everyone is switching over the the RB at our local track. Just last night, a long time losi AND associated driver ran his RB for the first time and was running consistently faster than with either of his previous two cars. That was with a stock base setup with 35wt, 3B pistons and Losi Silver/Yellow spring combo. The car is dialed.
Racerx336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:44 PM   #21
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I mentioned earilyer in the thread that I was having the same delema as Mike. Though I am a long time AE fan I am very suprised that the B4 was not mentioned any more than it was.

I am also suprised that the RB5 was mentioned in both a very positave and negative way.

Is the B4 not as good of a car as I think it may be? I like AE but I dont want to get caught in the rut of buying the same brand over and over just because I am familar with it.

The RB5 is appealing to me for a couple of different reasons. One being is that I built the shocks for a ZX-5 and I liked the way they went together, I thought the quality was very good. The other thing is after reading on there site, I see that the left and right a-arms are interchangeable. That is great!!! For me any way, because currently I have 5 left T4 A-Arms that I keep waiting to use (lol)

On the other hand did they not design the buggy as good as it should have been in order to be able to have the a-arms interchangable. The Academy was appealing to me as well and I am glad that it was mentioned but parts are not readily available at the LHS incase of a quck fix. Though Losi is a very good company there buggies just dont appeal to me, so unfortunately there out.

I just want something that is durable, and up to date. Currently Im running a B3 in 2wd and its been a long time overdue to upgrade the buggy. I just dont want to be stuck in a rut with AE if there is something better out there.
Original RC 10T, T4, RC8Te, Tekin RX8. Losi Ten SCTE, Slash 4x4.
OG RC 10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:38 PM   #22
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Nothing worng with the B4 that's for sure. I think the only reason people are telling him to go with the CR is he already has a Losi Truck. I am sure if he had a T4 we would tell him to get a B4.

As far as the RB5 goes it is a good car just like the other choices. I think most people were just upset that one guy thinks it need $100 worth of upgrades to be competitive....simply NOT true.

I don;t think you can go wrong with any of these choices (although I still have not seen an Academy 2wd in action).

So I guess I am saying since you already have Associated stuff then grab a B4 and start tearing up the track!

ccm399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Thanks Chris,

Thats along the lines of what I was thinking but I just wanted a different opinion. It makes sence, bc of the cross over parts that I already own and expence is less.

A Main Hobbies had B4 team kit for $169 - $15 promotion. Thats a great price on a new B4.
Original RC 10T, T4, RC8Te, Tekin RX8. Losi Ten SCTE, Slash 4x4.
OG RC 10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #24
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Although the FT kit is around 200. (although the team level kit is a great way to go if low on cash).
マイクル ユージャック 

*Team CFX Racing**Evil 3 Paint Works*
carbon madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:14 AM   #25
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

EVERY car out there (RB5, B4, XXX, G4) can be run out of the box and be competitive. They all have different characteristics which will suit particular driving styles. Hit up the track and try peoples cars (sponsored guys should let you bang off a few laps with no problem) and see which one you like.

For the RB5, you don't need the rear end mod. I tried it and went back to the stock rear end. I used to be a die hard B4 guy, but absolutely LOVE the way the RB5 drives, handles and it's easy to work on (and have the best shocks!)
"Almost Live Race Coverage": www.johnnyboy.ca

.:Team Orion : JConcepts : B-Fast RC:.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:02 AM   #26
Tech Elite

WWW.speedtechrc.com has a great selection of Kyosho parts and he gets weekly deliveries as well.If it is not in stock on line call him and chances are he has them or will have them by mid week. It is tough to beat Losi parts house on service but Jeff at Speedtech does a similar job.

I was running Losi before and my son drives the B4. Over all the RB5 suits my driving style much better then my bk2 and my sons B4.

I drive my RB5 pretty much box stock aside from springs and oil. I haven't upgraded anything else and the car has proven to be very durable. The only issue is the motor plate. It is way to soft and the screws strip out on it. Killed my 7.5 when that happened but other than that I am very happy.

In the end you will be happy with any of the cars you choose.
The Stadium at Pegasus Hobbies:tire:
JamesnMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #27
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

RB5 or B4. Forget the Losi.

I would say RB5 though
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #28
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 163 (99%+)

don't count XFACTORY out
pink_sleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #29
Tech Elite

For a guy who does not already have a B4, this is the most expensive option, but the X - 6 is certainly the most up-to-date buggy and by far the easiest to drive. Unlike the others, we make the parts ourselves here in the USA and ship within 24 hours. With more hobby stores carrying our line, parts are not an issue. Much of what you normally break is AE parts anyway.

Brian Kinwald calls the X - 6 "cheating." In November, as he was putting together his new deal with Trinity, he had the option to drive for any company -- wouldn't everybody like to have Dirt on their Team? Brian stayed with X Factory for two simple reasons: Our cars are faster. We do more development faster than any other company.

There are often X - 6s available on E-Bay or in the FS section of our website, www.2wdrc.com
Engineering Without Fear
YoungChazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:03 PM   #30
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
Stop lieing, you really dont know what your talking about Academy gv2 sales man. All you need is b4 turnbuckles for 20.00 bucks and this is the most durable buggy out and has proven itself more then the gv2 which is the newest buggy available.
Lying? lol

uh OK

I guess you know what your talking about? you've raced for about a year and your mentor is sponsored by kyosho. Hmmm

I just added the GV2 to the ring as another choice in the mix, and my experience with my RB5 is just that, my experience
www.Prime-Hobby.com - Schumacher - Core RC - Dualsky Highest Servos - Avid - Lunsford - DiscountRCStore.com
Procircuit Tires - Bellgate Distributors - Pro Speed - Ultimate Racing Products - Modelix Racing - Upgrade RC
Tony Newland is offline   Reply With Quote