Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Age old question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Age old question!

Hello all. Im trying to get into the electric world. For I am a Nitro man. Now my question is a question that has been asked a million times, so I will not ask it. Instead I will ask merely for your opinions to a starting place! I want to know a good truggy to get me started in the electric world. And a good motor to get me going. Not worried about price just quality. My hobby shop carries all the top brands so I would like to pick from them! So help me out boys and girls, give a nitro man a shove in the right direction, please!
Old 01-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott8ight
Hello all. Im trying to get into the electric world. For I am a Nitro man. Now my question is a question that has been asked a million times, so I will not ask it. Instead I will ask merely for your opinions to a starting place! I want to know a good truggy to get me started in the electric world. And a good motor to get me going. Not worried about price just quality. My hobby shop carries all the top brands so I would like to pick from them! So help me out boys and girls, give a nitro man a shove in the right direction, please!
So you want an Electric 1/8th Truggy
I dont think that they started makeing the electric 1/8th truggy,Most poeple convert there nitro truggy to an brushless truggy with lipo batteries.

Or do you mean you want like a 1/10th scale 2wd truck?
Old 01-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Oh crap sorry should have been more specific. No Im looking to race electric in the winter. My local track does 1/10th scale. So that is what I am wanting.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott8ight
Oh crap sorry should have been more specific. No Im looking to race electric in the winter. My local track does 1/10th scale. So that is what I am wanting.
For a 1/10th scale truck i would go with the new Losi XxxT-Cr,The FT T4,Losi Mf2,Losi Mf1.

There are also the 1/10th scale buggy's like the Ft b4,Losi xxx-cr,New associated B44(It is 4wd ) and many more....

Now are you wanting to run brushless or brushed?

A good brushless sytem can go from anywere to $200 to a good $300

I like Lrp brushless,The new losi brushless and novak.

Here are some brushless esc and motor combo's.

Lrp brushless combo's

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=lrp+brushless

Novak Brushless combo's

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ovak+brushless

Team losi brushless combo's

http://www.losi.com/Search/Default.a...xcelorin+combo

You need to decide if you wanna run Lipo batteries or Nihm Batteries,Also need good solder,discharger,charger,battery building if your going to race etc.....
Old 01-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default b

Take a look at the RTR brushless Team Losi XXX-T. The Team Associated T-4 is another good truck to go with.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trdsupra88
Take a look at the RTR brushless Team Losi XXX-T. The Team Associated T-4 is another good truck to go with.
The problem with the Losi brushless is, its not a XXX-T CR!!!!

That's my nickel!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

since you say money doesnt matter then get a losi xxx cr or the associated t4 factory team. as for a motor get a lrp sphere comp 2007 speed control and a peak racing vantage brushless motor or an orion vortex motor, dont get anything lower then 6.5 turns 7.5 or 8.5 would be best.

for 2wd buggy there is the associated b4, losi xxx cr, kyosho rb5 and the academy gv2. the gv2 is very new and pretty good, the rb5 is very popular and the b4 is the most popular since its been out for so long. either car will be good so go for part support. for a motor a 8.5 would be really good.

for 4wd buggy there is the associated b44, losi xx4 or xxx4, kyosho lazer zx5 or the tamiya 501x or durga. those are the ones that would be pretty good for racing competitively. also there is x factory cars but they are conversions. for a motor 6.5 or 7.5 would be good.

also for the brushless motors get something with a sintered rotor.

for batteries get a lipo track power or the orion ones are good.

also try to get the newest version of whatever car you will get like if you go for the xxx truck get the cr and not the other versions.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Im an associated guy my self so sorry for the associated plug on this one.

Coming from nitro your used to 4wd. I would recomend the B44, or Laxer zx5.

If you want a truck The Team or Factory Team Kit T4.

Buggies anything from Associated, Academy, Kyosho, Losi ect... will be very competitive.

Personally buy what one the majority of the guys use where you will race. They will have the better tips and setups for you to use. You will also be able to borrow parts in a jam.

Brushless buy either Novak or LRP and a 7.5 or 6.5 motor. You may be better off with the 7.5 untill you get used to a 2wd 10th scale.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Most everythings been mentioned but i`ve seen a tamiya 501x on the track and it owns the b44`s and I like associated more usually.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There are some good answers above but you should really go to your track and find out what everyone is running. Ask your race director to point towards someone that's been running for a while.... not a newbie. Even though the B4 or XXXcr are great cars, make sure before you make your selection that there are a lot of them running at your track. You may want to run what the crowd is running if you're new just for the sake of setups and available parts. From talking to Nitro guys that switch to electric, they're amazed at the amount of detail that goes into an electric setup.... example, just the other day, a veteran nitro guy was amazed that we may have multiple sets of the same tire with different inserts for different conditions. But talk to your race director, that's the best advice. You may end up with an expensive brushless/lipo combo and your race track may not allow brushless lipo yet.... after all, they're not ROAR legal.