R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-23-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default 1/8 Conversion Advice Needed

So I have decided my next project is going to be a 1/8th buggy conversion. I am pretty new to RC, so I am looking for some advice from the Jedi electric conversion guys as to the best set up for this project. I don't have any significant budgetary constraints, so I am trying to find out what the most reliable set up is. I know I have three choices - fast, reliable, and cheap. I can only pick two. I am looking for reliable and fast.

In other words, if money isn't an object what motor, esc, and other parts (mounts) would you pick for a car that is lightly raced on a track and then used for up to 60 mph speed runs? I am assuming I need a 4s setup for the track and then 5s/6s maybe for tooling around the neighborhood with taller gearing.

From my research thus far, it seems Neu motors are the way to go, but I still don't know what ESC I am supposed to use. I am also a little confused about the sizes. I know I need 1512 and some say 1515, but I don't know if I need 2y or 1.5d, etc for my purposes.

Finally, which car converts the easiest? I am leaning towards an RC8 or 8ight. I also like the X-Ray. My main concern is having easy access to replacement parts. I am a new driver, so I am probably not going to notice the subtle difference in handling necessarily. I want durability and ease of replacing busted parts.

Cars I've Owned: Tekno EB48 & SCT410, AE 8.2e, AE SC10 4x4, MBX6e Tekno V4, Xray 808e, Xray 8Te, Losi 810e, Losi SCTE 4x4, Losi 22, Hot Bodies Ve8, Losi 8te, and plenty of Traxxas

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Start here:

RC Product Designs
SCTE and 22T
Lovin' the Barn!
Doing the "League" at DirtBurners!
happywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Check rc-monster Briang has a rc calculator that will help ypu determine what motor, voltage gearing and even how fast it should go. There is also a ton of other info on their forum. RCTech also has an electric 8th scale forum with alot of experienced guys on there who are more than willing to help out. Remember this is all new and is really an experiment so there is no right or wrong way to do it. Hope this helps--yu will be amazed by the power the e-8 scales put down Ecveryone at my track was blown away by my E-LSP with a Neu 1515 1y on 4s

The Warehouse RC-Birmingham, AL
AE RC8.2-E Tekin powered
Alabama Manufacturers Shootout-Don't Miss It
shady3031 is offline   Reply With Quote