R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-19-2007, 06:22 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
Send a message via AIM to ragefear Send a message via MSN to ragefear
Default Playing in the snow

So I have an RC10T3 and wanna play in the snow with it. I don't wanna damage anything, obviously, so what precautions should I take?

ragefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:32 AM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

dont drive in the snow

snow = water

water = electrical shorts and rust
Original RC 10T, T4, RC8Te, Tekin RX8. Losi Ten SCTE, Slash 4x4.
OG RC 10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Build a indoor track.

really, waterproof contoller, chaep brushed motor, plasti-dip RX, servo from Futaba that is waterproofed.

And DO NOT run LIPO.

NiMh cells.
A racecar is only as good as the mechanic who build it.
UK.hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:44 AM   #4
Tech Initiate
Send a message via AIM to ragefear Send a message via MSN to ragefear

I have a cheapo motor on it, the servo is a $10 piece... the reciever tho, thats more of what I was worried about. The speed controller is a novak rooster, that kinda bothers me too, but I mounted it up high so it might be ok. Nothing to cover the motor tho?
ragefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:20 AM   #5
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

It's most important to protect the speed control. If any of those other components go they will go by themselves. A shorted speed control can take the battery with it or even worse. Water proof that speed control.
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head."

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Been done: Electronics in a balloon or covered in plastic that won't melt.

My suggestion: Waterproof box with o ring seal like nitros use. Fabricate a motor cover or splash guard.

The ESC is by far the most critical - it handles all the current and is intolerant of shorts - can fry things. Motors can take a lot of abuse by comparison. Receiver in between - least heat generation = easiest to put in a balloon. Batteries - important. A short in NiMh2 or Lipo can result in a big boom or flash fire. Shrink wrap whole packs, all connections, leave no gaps for water to enter.

Don't listen to people who say don't play in snow, if you really want to play go ahead... just as long as you understand, maintenance will be higher than in cleaner/drier weather.

You will have more rusted bearings, etc. especially, really really especially, if you play where salt is put down. Stay away from streets, walkways and driveways if you want to avoid salt - play in the park or track or BMX park. Clean and lube bearings more often will make them last longer. Cleaning and lubing bearings every play day would not be a bad idea. At least the bearings that are more exposed, even if you just hit them with motor cleaner or buggy blast and drip some lube in without removing them, with all the bearings you can reach.

Cold = more brittleness = parts break easier. Nylon is a tough material but it does increase in brittleness, less able to handle impacts but it is still functional even down to -40F / -40C. I know because they test impact resistance at that temperature in labs and I've seen numbers - at least for glass filled nylon it only loses a fraction of impact resistance but holds up better than you would think.

PS enjoy ! Snow driving is a blast ! At least until you get tired of cleaning up bearings and whatnot - then before you know it spring is here anyway.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote