R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Need a little help with 19t motor. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/194798-need-little-help-19t-motor.html)

OG RC 10T 12-08-2007 08:13 PM

Need a little help with 19t motor.

Is there that much of a difference between the 19t Komodo Dragon and the Pro version, which costs $15 more?

Just trying to figure out if it is actually worth the jump from $30 to $45, and if I will actually be able to tell the difference between the two.

Currently I am running brushless and have been since I just recently started in RC but I dont have any real knowledge of brushed motors, but I wanted to put one in my 10T. (which has no electronics yet) For fun and to keep the cost lower.

theanimaleide 12-08-2007 08:59 PM

the pro should come with better brushs and springs and brush hood aligned and anything else they claim to do to it. the pro would be a little better right out of the box,but if you are just using it for fun i would just go with the cheeper one.

Metla 12-08-2007 09:07 PM

No need for the pro if your not racing.

Pretty boring motors if your used to something faster, I found them to be unreliable, but that maybe an isolated case, either way, near $150 wasted.

OG RC 10T 12-09-2007 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Metla (Post 3953015)
No need for the pro if your not racing.

Pretty boring motors if your used to something faster, I found them to be unreliable, but that maybe an isolated case, either way, near $150 wasted.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Metla, I figrued they may be a little boring but I just wanted something less powerful and less expensive than a brushless system because I didnt want to over power an old car, that would only be used once in a while.

Curious to your comment about the unreliable ness. Are you meaning brushed in general or about the Komodo Dragon motor specifically?

no1uno 12-09-2007 09:51 AM

K dragons like to throw winds

nutz4rcyktw 12-09-2007 06:16 PM

19 Turn

I would get a Checkpoint Money. Fast and reliable. Better type of brush and much longer life.

QuickRC 12-09-2007 10:02 PM

For bashing the Komodo regular versdion would be fine. Later, you can always put in better brushes and springs and tune better to get the performance you need.

Komodos rev pretty high and can fail if over-revved - like any motor. The laminations on the armature can come loose. It happens but I douldn't say it is a common thing. There are better motors I'm sure but the cost of the Komodo vs performance is hard to beat. BTW, I sell and run Komodos and have only 1 failure reported to me. None of mine have failed.

Metla 12-09-2007 10:48 PM

I bought 2, both are dead, My 4 other 19T motors are still going strong. Gearing was fine.

ta_man 12-10-2007 12:48 PM

19T Motors

If you are not racing, the best thing you can do is try an find some slightly used "ARCOR" 19T handwound motors. The class these were made for is no longer run so racers tend to sell them cheap. They have batter magnets than the Komodo and they tend to last longer with the standup brushes. I have one set up in a rustler with a 7-cell pack and I typically get 10-12 minutes runtime out of old, trashed out 3300s that only take 3000 mAhr per charge.

Mark Mixon 12-11-2007 09:17 AM

Almost all of the tricks that are used for a "Pro" motor can be learned and done at home. Do a web search for brushed motor tips....you might be surprised and save a little money. People are selling brushed equipment now very reasonably and they are still very competitive. Good luck and have fun!