which T4 to buy

Old 12-02-2007, 05:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Default which T4 to buy

I know this a dum Q but can any one tell me which T4 is ready built in the box when you buy it???

T4 Team Truck Kit
T4 Factory Team Truck Kit
T4RS Race-Spec RTR (I think it is already)

thanks
Old 12-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

The Team Truck will be good..
but if you got enough money get the Factory team...
Bar.

if you going to race DONT GET the RTR
Old 12-02-2007, 05:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Yes but are they all ready built in the box or not

thanks
Old 12-02-2007, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Only the RTR is ready to run, already built in the box.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Just dont think that Race Spec actually means race spec. Its agreat kit for people just getting into the hoby and it is a great platform to build off of. They are great for christmas gifts as well.

Dont forget that you will need a battery and battery charger as well. What ever you choose for batteries make sure you get 2 of them so one can be on the charger while your using the other.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:01 AM
Tech Rookie

So have to build all of the
T4 Team Truck Kit
T4 Factory Team Truck Kit
???
Old 12-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Yes the Team Kit as well as the Factory Team Kit you have to build totally from scratch. Paint the body and buy all of your electronics seperately.

The RTR even comes with the body painted, and all of the necessary electroincs including a motor, radio, reciever, and speed controler.

If you compare prices the RTR is the best value for the money because you buy it and go. But think about it as well. Your buying an already built truck, with all of the electronics already included, for just a couple of dollars more than either of the kit trucks. They have to pay the guy to assemble the truck for you, and there is the cost for the electronics. Keep in mind they had to skimp on the better parts to pay the guy for building the truck, and the electronics are good enough, but they are the cheapies, and will need to be upgraded down the road if you have any desire to do anything other than just having fun with it.

The Factory Team kit comes with a bunch of stuff that you dont really need and many of the parts are carbon which means they dont "flex" the way plastic does, and they are more brittle. Meaning less forgiving if you were to crash hard.

The Team Kit, which is what I have, is a great truck. You have to build it, and paint the body your self, which is a lot of fun, but can take you the better part of your Saturday.

For me building the truck is just as fun as racing, and though there seems to be a million parts, the directions are easy to understand and the kit is not difficult to build, just a little time consuming,

As for electronics, your looking at about $50 for a good speed controler (Novak XRS) a motor $35 to $40 ish (Komodo Dragon $35 or the pro-version $40) and a reciever / radio under $100 for a decent one (Futaba)

Keep in mind these are just what I would use and you can probally get other brands, different recomendations, or even save just a couple of extra dollars by buyind different brands. But remember the cheaper you go - you get what you pay for.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Alot of the Pros set-ups like Ryan Maifield's in RC Car Action magazine a few issues back has alot of plastic on it including GT2 parts front and rear.

I perfer plastic on my trucks and like the GT2 parts like the QC wheels.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

just bashing rtr all the way , if you even think you might race you should consider building the kit , you learn so much about how it works , and i really enjoy building um , if you think you might be in the hobby for the long haul , youll save money building the truck and buying the electronics seperatly , i know it sounds dumb but you will end up replacing all the electronics that come with the rtr , ray
Old 12-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

he some word's of wosdom .. don't buy a rtr ..
Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Only the RTR is prebuilt. Even so, as noted above, you need batteries and charger.

A RTR T4 will get you out there playing. If you hit something hard you will break something. Electronics will eventually die (servo and ESC at least). Some RTR mean ready to run, some mean ready to race. The race spec is not a bad truck but for maximum fun on the track you will want the toughest components so you don't break when you make the inevitable mistakes early on.

The RTR is designed as a hook to get you to buy. Eventually you will have things die / break that need replaced anyway. The majority of the cost in RC is outside of the kit you buy. Unless you just drive it around and never abuse it, run it through a puddle, jump it, etc. Even then things will break/wear out/die.

I got into hobby grade RC with a RTR T3 in ~2000. Within 2-3 months I was racing it, replacing stock parts with Lunsford and RPM stuff, got a new ESC and a new servo... then bought a used factory team truck for almost as much as the RTR.... You don't have to do that, but I got into racing.

If you are the kind of person to stick with things and you're mechanically inclined, get a kit and modest level electronics and enjoy. If you just like to drive get the RTR ... and be prepared to still have to open the wallet again later. RC is kind of like boats, there's always something that breaks, needs overhauled, or you just plain would like to buy.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i drive the team kit and love it. the only thing that i dont like is when i need to change ride height just before the race to accomidate the traction i cant cuz of the limiters , but other than that the truck is tits.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

if you can try to get the team kit also do not go cheap on the radio get a decent one. a dx2.0 or dx3.0 are good choices or the futaba 2.4 GHZ.

you may also consider the losi brushless RTR it has a better radio and servo also a basic brushless system.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSA0096
Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Don't be afraid to get a kit, associated kits are very easy to build. I run the team kit too, and race it and it is very durable and race worthy. Like the other guys said, if you are going to race don't buy an rtr because if you are racing you will be upgrading all the electronics for racing anyways. You get better stuff with the kit too and you will know how it goes together if you buy a kit.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cmain
if you can try to get the team kit also do not go cheap on the radio get a decent one. a dx2.0 or dx3.0 are good choices or the futaba 2.4 GHZ.

you may also consider the losi brushless RTR it has a better radio and servo also a basic brushless system.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSA0096
I didnt even thing of going out of the brand for the inital question. The Losi brushless with the upgraded electronics is a great truck, and a great buy. It already comes built, which may be what your looking for, but it has a much higher quality group of electronics than any of the other RTR kits out on the market and they will not need to be upgraded for quite some time.