R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-30-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default Looking for a New Bl setup....Suggestions wanted

My last few cars quite a few years back were touring cars, and with all the excitement ive been reading about Brushless sytems I am anxiously looking to buy a new set-up. From the reviews and apparently ease of use I was planning on going with a Novak or Mamba setup, really I thought with its versatility the Mamba 5700 was my best bet. PLease let me know if I should go with an alternative. Now I need a chassis. I was thinking something simple like a AE T4 or B4 but am worried about the wheelie factor. maybe something 4x4. i dunno. I even looked into getting a TC4 or 5 for onroad.I know i am all over the place but I dont have that much experience with too many set-ups. I live in the Palm Springs, the desert but will probably be running on pavement most of the time. But I do have a nice local hobby shop track to go bash around on also, and of course off roading in the desert. Im thinking some kind of truck would be best for all around application. My main goal is simple fun, not too much tweaking on suspension and gearing, and long fast run times. Blistering speed is not my biggest goal. Just want to have fun bashing around. Also can you tell me how long the runtimes Bl setups get with non lipo just regular packs? If I need Lipo for long run times I could go that route but am worried about complications. Thanks for your support and sorry for all my questions?
Paul Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:49 AM   #2
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 22 (96%+)

I would suggest, for the sand and street, a 1/10th 2wd stadium truck. the T4/XXX-T are great choices. stadium trucks have perhaps the largest selection of tires available. you can get street tires, or even paddles (for sand!). also, the 2 brands are usually supported by most hobbyshops.

also look at the new traxxas VXL rustler, it already has a brushless in it, and parts are widely available too.

I recently ran on galveston beach with a XXX (buggy), and had great success. i was running a Novak 7.5 Brushless setup, and 3800 lipo, and was getting about 20 minutes of runtime. Its fun to run in the sand, BUT you need to get SEALED ball bearings. i already had my buggy equiped with some (i think from BlueStarRacing or something like that), so i didnt have to worry about crunchy, siezing bearings.

as for a brushless setup, i would go Novak. why? because of its smoothness, and acceptance of various battery qualities. the MM (Mamba Max) tends to prefer Lipo or high quality Nimh. and MM tends to perform worse than novak when given small batteries (1500, 1700 Mah).

So, as a summary, i would get a T4/XXX-t, put SEALED bearings in, buy street tires/paddles, and equip it with a Novak system (7.5?)

that setup should be appropriate for your environment! i hope i helped! cheers.
Bigshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

if you are wanting to gea truck that you can bash and race with that has a brushless in it then i would go with the xxxt. the XXXT with the brushless system (novak 10.5) runs awesome, good power and response, plus it has reverse if ur out bashing and get hung up.
hyperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This hurts to say... but honestly if you are just looking to grab something new to bash with, the Traxxas Rustler VXL is a good start.

But if you want a "real" car.. T4 or XXXT and a Mamba 5700 is a very good choice.

Setup can help if there is a wheelie problem. Get a nice set of basher tires like the mashers or something and have fun tearing it up.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
Tech Lord

I think you need the Traxxis rustler or the XXXT RTR brushless.

This is what I would get.

Best radio equipment and over all RTR kit on the market.

Best over all applications.

Note: be sure to order with the right connector.
A Special Thanks to Arno and Rigor for there support...
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
Tech Master

there is better parts quality with the losi, and its not a slow poke either. if you are wanting for bashing the tires that come with it would be perfect
hyperguy is offline   Reply With Quote