Wiki Posts
Search

Slipper & Diff setting on a XXX-T CR

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Slipper & Diff setting on a XXX-T CR

are there any good articles or anyone with experience on here on how to set this up for different track conditions and what to look for when adjusting it? new to electric and need some knowledge!!
Old 11-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

slipper set to slip for aproximatly two feet before engaging.. thats stomping on the throttle form a dead stop of course..
and then set your diff as loose as it can go without sqwakin.. the slipper should slip just before the diff starts to slip that way you have a nice free diff. that doesnt slip
Old 11-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

so now a few more questions. What are the results of the following:

Slipper too tight = ?
Slipper too loose = ?
Diff too tight = ?
Diff too loose = ?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Slipper too tight = car will spin out all the time without proper throttle control
Slipper too loose = car wont have punch and will wear out slipper faster
Diff too tight = melt the diff gear part #3036 and the thrust bearing will break if its wayyyy tooo tight fyi
Diff too loose = squawks, if your car makes noises, check your moving parts. it should be pretty quiet..
Old 11-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Tech Regular

The easiest way i find is to do the wheelie test. Stand on the back tires and rip the throttle and the truck should pop up like..1-4 inches depending on how tight you want it. On tracks with big jumps, I might set mine a little looser to protect stuff, but usually around 2 inch wheelie.
Don't set the slipper as traction control. That isn't what it is designed for.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DanGriffin
Don't set the slipper as traction control. That isn't what it is designed for.

bullshit if it isnt..

on a monster truck the slipper is only supposed to engage when coming down off a big jump or for when you are on throttle and a shock goes through the drivetrain.. however on race vehicals the slipper clutch is a important tuning device that should be maintainted regularly.. and the tension on it will change with track conditions..
high bite less slip is required and you could almost get away with no slip. low bite you want it to slip otherwise your vehical will spin out when you punch the throttle coming out of a corner.. or off the line.. it makes the car easier to drive and not as prone to spin out.

best way to set slipper is go on the track youll be running. set car down. nail the throttle and tighten or loosen it until it slips for about a foot and a half to two feet..
Old 11-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

"Don't set the slipper as traction control. That isn't what it is designed for."

Actually it was . The Hydradrive , single slipper and dual slipper were designed for traction control and to take some stress off the diff .
Old 11-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i think dan is right, if you set slipper as a tracton control on a loose track you will be burnning up slipper pads, heating up the motor alot more than it needs to be. just learn to control you throttle finger.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Brian, if you stop by the shop I'll show you how to check it.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

if the slipper only slipps for a foot or two when you really get on the throttle aka wot from almost a stop it will be fine.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Briguy
Actually it was . The Hydradrive , single slipper and dual slipper were designed for traction control and to take some stress off the diff .
The hydradrive was...but when is the last time you used one? With the newer tires/compounds we have today this is no longer needed.

Slipper clutches are there to protect your drivetrain under hard strains/shocks that offroad tracks deliver with bumps/jumps/landings. Every time you land on the throttle or brake, your slipper should ideally slip otherwise your diff takes the abuse.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

direct from the rc glossary.. god i wish i didnt have to pull this out..
Slipper Clutch. This refers to a device found primarily in off-road vehicles that allows the spur gear to slip under excessive load. This feature protects the driveline from excessive wear and, WHEN SET PROPERLY, MAKES IT EAISER TO DRIVE IN LOOSE CONDITIONS.

your parially wrong and partially right..
you have the sever shocks and loads down. but you must realize its also a traction control device thats used in racing.

i race with allen horne and dakota phend and johnny loguiduice. sorry for the spelling on that last one. . and a bunch of other factory drivers. . they all do it so do i and its for good reason.
you have to set your slipper for different conditions. if your racing but if your bashing. setting it so it will only slip when your under sever load is ideal.. cause doughnuts are fun..
Old 11-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

I'm just posting my opinion/knowledge of it. I'm not saying I don't adjust mine, but for different reasons than what you say. Personal opinion maybe.
I'm glad you get to race with those guys, a couple are my teammates and I know all of them, very nice people wish I could race with them more often.