Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dark Impact vs. RS4 MT

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

If I went with a DI for bashing, I would carefully examine how having a much lower ground clearance would affect your bashing.

Also, if you get the DI, look into a rear hingepin brace as the tranny case is what holds the rear arms on. You hit wrong, you snap the case.

If I was you, make sure whatever 4wd buggy you have will also allow you to run truck rims on it. You can then get your RS4MT truck feel with a better vehicle.

One to look into would be the Academy SB V2. It uses a 12mm hex if I recall correctly, mount up some traxxas / rpm rear offset rims and tires (truck) and you are in business. You can even mount up a truck body too.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Dark Impact vs. RS4 MT

I didn't mess with RC cars for years, and hopped right back in the past few months. I bought a RS4 MT for the offroad/onroad possibility. I wanted something 4 wheel drive. Well, I got it. I really like the way the truck hops across the grass, dirt, gravel, whatever, without slowing down.

I am having issues tho. Like any basher, I wanted more speed... more speed equals more air time. I'm constantly going from onroad to offroad and back. This is hard on the belt driven RS4 MT. It doesn't help that I've added a Mamba 5700 system to it either. :-)

I'm starting to have belt issues. I can wear a rear belt out QUICK in this thing. I've also broken a few dogbones, but I think that was due to the bad diff. I wish it was shaft driven like the nitro version tho.

Now, my question.

I'm considering buying a Dark Impact for bashing. I know anytime a person bashes a car things do break... so I know it won't be bulletproof. Will it be more durable than the RS4 MT? How well will it hold up to the mamba setup? Upgrade parts are hard to find for the older RS4 too, so what about the DI? Does it have a wide range?

Thanks!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

HI.
RS4 MT is hard to find and even harder to find parts.
you are a basher so $dw is the best for you.
how many you want spend?
here is the best things IMO:
E-SAVAGE
E-MAXX
new E-MAXX
you can get wheely king as well but its crawler style.
The last choice is the rs4.
the 3 first trucks i said have amaing parts support!

Bar.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Cain: The Academy SB V2 is a bit more expensive than I wanted to go... at least the immediate prices I found online were neways. I do like the setup tho. It looks like a nice vehicle... much more of a pro setup than the DI.

Potter: My buddies run Evaders & Rustlers. I need something that can keep up with them. The RS4 does perty good considering it's pulling all 4 wheels compared to their 2. Will the E-MAXX & Savage do that? Is the Savage 1/10 scale?

I'll keep looking for a better price on the Acadamy... thanks guys.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I would be open to finding a used vehicle. Usually if you get them from a reputable person, a few dollars in parts and its refreshed pretty good. The Academy V2 Pro series doesn't slop out very easily. Good parts.

For the DI, I would look online from ones that have hopups on them already, and look into that longer chassis on there too, about $25 dollars or so.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

the dark impact is great for bashing. you HAVE to get a slipper system for it. leave everything stock, and get a slipper. put some dirt hawgs on it and let it go. i ran one with a 17 turn and no slipper and it blew away my brothers rustler(first generation but it had a 15 turn mod in it) and the 4wd handling is great. once i put a VXL system in it though, it got ripped to shreds. i havent gotten the slipper, but i have seen dark impacts that will break 70 with a mamba max, 3s lipo, and a slipper kit. so slipper and a mamba on 6cells would be fast as well. very very flaxible chassis. and considering your only bashing, thats good. it puts the power to the ground on low traction areas and bends on impacts. i have hit so much stuff with mine and it still runs great