Wiki Posts
Search

Mamba Max ESC for Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Mamba Max ESC for Racing?

Does anyone use the Mamba MAX esc for racing? I currently have one in my buggy with a 6900kv and was thinking about buying a modified motor for days when the club is racing and use the brushless for practicing/bashing etc. with
Old 11-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I do. It's not horrible like some love to say. They don't know cause they don't run one.

I even had very fast local racer run mine (T4/MM5700) for one race day (he runs LRP brushless) and I asked him what he thought of it, the feel etc... he thought it was fine... no complaints at all.

You can play with the software to soften the throttle... they have so much rip it can be harder to control. But aside from the massive power I have no issues racing them. I'm a good club level racer... not Tebo or Cav... so what do I know? That's probably what the MM critics will say. But I'm sure if Tebo ran a MM he would do jsut fine.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

There is nothing at all wrong with a Mamba Maxx. The only thing that stinks is you MUST hook up to a computer/laptop to change from brushless to brushed mode. Also, depending on where you mount it in your car, you need to remove it to get access to the port to plug it in. Aside from that it runs great, I have NEVER seen one thermal, and you get crazy power from them. The only suggestion would be to get rid of the stock motor connectors and solder direct. There is a lot of info out there about simulated cogging from the connectors. Some people don't have any trouble with it but I can tell you from personal experience that it can happen. Other than that, great esc....not to mention the fact that Castle has AWESOME customer service and the guys are on these forums all the time helping people out.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

Default MM

They are awesome for racing, I run a RB5 with 6900 and 2s lipo and it's the fastest buggy at my home track and still easy to drive.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:47 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I have ran my Mamba Max in brushed mode for almost all of the summer and then just switched to brushless mode to run the Mamba Max motors and the Orion 13.5.

The Mamba Max has been excellent although a little large vs other brushed speedo controls. It works great in brushed mode so you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Glowster21
There is nothing at all wrong with a Mamba Maxx. The only thing that stinks is you MUST hook up to a computer/laptop to change from brushless to brushed mode. Also, depending on where you mount it in your car, you need to remove it to get access to the port to plug it in. Aside from that it runs great, I have NEVER seen one thermal, and you get crazy power from them. The only suggestion would be to get rid of the stock motor connectors and solder direct. There is a lot of info out there about simulated cogging from the connectors. Some people don't have any trouble with it but I can tell you from personal experience that it can happen. Other than that, great esc....not to mention the fact that Castle has AWESOME customer service and the guys are on these forums all the time helping people out.
Does anyone make good motor connectors? Since I will be changing from Mamba 6900 and Modified motor every 2 - 3 weeks
Old 11-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You can use a better brand gold plug like the Corally ones. They are a different design than the generic gold cons that come on the MM, and should be much more reliable. On these the finned part on the male end doesn't spin. That will make sense if you look at a gold plug.I have run some 3.5mm plugs (MM uses 4mm).

You could also modify some Deans... I've seen that done too.

I actually still run the original stock connectors on my XX4/7700 because I have never had any issues with it.

I wish they would put solder tabs on the motor though and eliminate any connector issues.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy
Does anyone make good motor connectors? Since I will be changing from Mamba 6900 and Modified motor every 2 - 3 weeks
Here's a hint for you: Deans Plugs.

For some of my brusless systems (not all converted yet) I use a pair of Deans plugs. One pair on the ESC and one pair on the brushless motor. So I have a female plug on the black and red of the speedo, and connect one pin on the male plug to white wire. Then use a male on the black and red of the motor and one pin of the female on the white of the motor. Then when you want to run a brushed motor with the mamba, connect the motor wires to a Deans male plug. Just put something on the female on the speedo to be safe. What is nice about this setup is that you use exactly one full set/pair of plugs for each motor or speedo. No worry about having males or females left over.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default mamba

I run a Castle and agree that you should hard wire the Motor and speedo. They are trying a new plug to solve this problem its just not on the market yet I saw them the other day and they are cool. I also use it for Brushed stock with the Mamba ESC and its just as fast as my old LRP.
later Jeremy
Old 11-18-2007, 10:22 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

raced it in 2wd mod all year (april-october), yeh i feel like a dork b'g able to hook it to a computer.

reminds me, i still have to go pick up my 1st place season points trophy.

R
Old 11-18-2007, 06:19 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Ran the 5700 Mamba Motor today offroad instead of my standard 4600 and it is a step up in power and speed thats for sure. Ran on a clay track today with medium bite and it was excellent. It was very smooth but if I needed more I just hammered it and it pulled strong. I think I will mess with this motor and the 4600 more. Once I get more testing done I will try the 6900 for fun but it will be way more than I need thats for sure.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I was able to switch to brushed mode and back without the PC link when I ran it in 1/10 scale 4wd buggy.

The unit works well, I liked my mamba max, just wish the dataport hole came from a top down insert instead of from the side. This would make it easier to mount the ESC so you can still access the port.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

[quote=Cain;3882655]I was able to switch to brushed mode and back without the PC link when I ran it in 1/10 scale 4wd buggy.

quote]

How did you do that?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Glowster21
How did you do that?

Read the manual, start from page 19 MANUAL PROGRAMMING.

9 beeps 1 for Brushless
9 beeps 2 for Brushed Reversing
9 beeps 2 for Brushed high Power

Simple
Old 11-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Super_Roo: its not quite that simple. Reason being, mine never (both ones I got in) beeped 9 times. So what I think happens is that people just select OK for the first 1 beep, which really is the 9th beep, and end up going right past it. I did that a few times myself and was scratching my head till I called Castle and they explained the issue to me.

So, for those having issue getting to brushed mode, thats how you do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.