Wiki Posts
Search

Popularity of 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kenshu
I've had the MRC, BJ4, and a ZX5. Now I have a B44. B44 is HANDS DOWN the BEST 4wd EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The MRC was hands down the biggest POS ever.
Looking at this again I can see that it was posted by a real RC racing expert.

MRC is sponsoring regional racers because MRC is not a manufacturer (that's Academy), they are a distributor. It's pretty likely you'll be getting spanked by an SBv2 soon.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kenshu
Not because it's new. Because it handles better then any 4wd ever. And I've been running them all since 1984. How many MRC made the feature at the worlds??????? Yeah I thought so. If it was such a good car with great support then why doesn't any good driverss want to drive it. AHHHH??
Uhhh...did I say anything about an MRC or whatever?

Typical BJ4 fanboy BS.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

kenshu: what model SBV2 did you have, and what were your problems with it?

Different vehicles work for different people. To say one is the best ever just because you drive it really doesn't make it so. Plenty of people will argue that point (XX-4 crowd anyone for sure on the rough stuff).
Old 11-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Typical BJ4 fanboy BS.
Is that a typo? He said the B44 was better than the BJ4.

Typical BJ4 hater BS.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

After reading through 3 pages here the topic seemed to change a little from the orgional post.

I would like there to be a 4wd electric truck. Personally I have a lot of expensive components but a lack of true driving skill. I have a great time on the track but my track is to big and spaced out for my T4 to clear many jumps with any thing higher than the 7.5 novak. The problem I am having is that the faster motors 6.5 and 5.5 over power the rear tires and the 10.5 does not have enough speed or power for the larger jumps.

The slower speeds are good but for me, take the enjoyment out of the hobby. 4wd buggies are great but the trucks are more stable and that is why I would perfer the 4wd truck.

Some one was saying in an earlier post that they didnt want an additional class and or that this class would take away from the skill of a real driver, and or even make the faster buggy drivers have a more difficult time on the track.

We all have to start some where, not everyone is skilled. I couldnt even make a single jump at the track with out nosing over, flipping back wards, or wrecking on just about any thing that wasnt perfectly flat. Now, I am still not that great, but finally I am having a good time and I can make several decent laps with out crashing or flipping over.

I am finally having a good time with this hobby. I think 4wd truck would help people like me, and once I improve a little more with my 2wd truck I will more than likely get a buggy. Probally start with 4wd than 2wd. Then 2wd mod.

We all have to start some where, and 4wd truck may just be the class that will get many new drivers to try RC with out getting fustrated.

If 2wd buggy is the "class to be" what does it matter what buggies or type of trucks we all start off with, as long as we are all having a good time. The people who want to be serious racers, end up with the 2wd buggy in the long run, any way.

Like it or not, if Associated makes the T44 I believe it will be a big hit.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

The other thing, in addition to what I said above, about the tires being over powered. Its a traction thing. The tracks are not always prepped for race day, and they are not always at there highest traction when it is time to practice. With the additional power of the lipo batteries and the brush less systems, the 4wd truck will get better traction and will be easier to drive versus a similar 2wd truck in the same situation. Same as the difference between the buggies.

Im not a racer, just a hobbiest. The funner the hobby the more people will start to join in.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
The "fan-boy-ness" is very typical. After all, that's what makes it "typical".

Were you born without a sense of humor or did you just have it surgically removed?

Besides, I don't hate them...I hate fanboys.
I understand the fanboy comment, and I agree with you on that point. I just don't understand the BJ4 label, when he specifically said another car was better than the BJ4.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BradR
Is that a typo? He said the B44 was better than the BJ4.

Typical BJ4 hater BS.
The "fan-boy-ness" is very typical. After all, that's what makes it "typical".

Were you born without a sense of humor or did you just have it surgically removed?

Besides, I don't hate them...I hate fanboys.

I would have bought a B44 if it took the good lipos. I don't want to buy the squishy lipos.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

There is no need for 4wd 1/10th scales. A 1/10th 4wd truck would still probly set you back a good $400, just like a lot of 1/8th scales. 2wd buggies have trouble keeping the esc cool in 20 minute mains & they are not as durable as 2wd trucks or 1/8th scale buggies are currently. I believe that these two classes are currently the best classes to consider for li//bl aplications. 2wd truck can be the gateway class in to r/c racing for these classes. It will teach you how to drive, you can get rtr setups for under $500, & it doesn't take some one w/ experience to keep these things running on the track.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

If you really want to give 4wd truck a go, here is a cheapy way to go about it. If you have an Academy SB V2 (regular or Pro), just pick up a set of the offset traxxas rear rims. They use the same hex that the Academy buggy uses (V1 does too I think), so you can "truggy" your vehicle and give it a go. See how well it works out for you. Who knows, maybe would work in race conditions as well when its really rough. At most, you only spent the cost of the rims and the tires.

If you like it, you could always proceed with a conversion.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Being that I'm opening my own track, I would love if 4wd truck became popular. 4wd requires less rake in the front suspension, that makes front arms break easier (just like in 4wd buggies), that means more front arm sales for me Even better that 4wd truck would be more fun with even more motor, which also means more parts sales

GO 4WD 1/10TH TRUCK!
Old 11-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scrubb
....more front arm sales for me ....more parts sales

GO 4WD 1/10TH TRUCK!
Why not just use cinder blocks as lane dividers? 60 degree, 10 ft. tall jumps? Crush some glass and mix it into the track. It'll boost tire sales....wow. At least there were smilies following those comments.