Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Popularity of 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

My Losi 8ight has never had any fuel through it at all and it is completely worn out. I raced it Sat and Sun all summer long.
I bought it strictly to run electric.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I think that the future of things is leaning towards 1/8 scale 4wd electric for outdoors on multi use (ie tracks that run various scales on one) tracks. With tracks going to the bigger jump setups, you need something that can handle the rough at places that do double duty.

A 1/8 scale brushless electric setup can do that. And with Castle Creations making a Monster Mamba Max that is looking to come with a Neu motor for $300 estimate right now (usually the Neu's are like $200+ alone), you can have a very nice 1/8 scale conversion setup for a comporable price to a race level fielded nitro 1/8 scale. And you cut out a lot of the common headaches you get with nitro.

I tried nitro several times, and I loved the scale and feel of the vehicles, but working on engines just wasn't my thing. And I was also discouraged about it when you see guys who are highly skilled with nitro also having issues too with tuning or some clutch part let go.

Now with my electric 1/8, I just charge up the pack, plug it in, and go. For fun, once in awhile I'll turn on reverse too

I got into my ride pretty cheap ($600 less charger and receiver, everything else included used), but even if I paid new, it was well worth it.

As for the 1/10 scales, I really like 4wd electric buggy, but I can see the issues that can arise if the track surface is blown out by truggies and the like. When in CT running 1/10 scale buggy, I remember how bad it could get going down a truggy blown out straight. Cars flipping for no reason (from what you could see on the driver's stand) till you got out there and see the huge pot holes that the truggy guys just blew by.

I think that AE releasing the B44 at a very competitive price for a 4wd is a good push, if they can release a cheaper version RTR in the future would go even further, maybe throw in a brushless LRP unit too. Same with Losi, throw in a losi brushless into those XXX-4s and get them moving like they did with the sedan. Doing this will keep the momentum going. heck, pop in some lipos too. Losi's doing it with there 1/18 scales now in one of the configurations.

As for the 1/10 scale 4wd truck thing, I am all for it, but I am not sure still how that will translate against a 1/8 scale electric as far as perceived value, depending on the cost and what you can run with. Seems people are more open to let you run 1/8 scale electric and nitro together (as long as you do your pit stops) than 1/10 scale 4wd truck with a 2wd truck. I am looking at a CRT .5 conversion as a buddy of mine has the nitro version. If he keeps his and runs it in the summer, maybe I'll do one too.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Do you have any experience with the Sbv2? It the most durable 4wd buggy on the market. This is Fact.
That's your fact. I'll put my Lazer against it head to head in a death match any time.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GroffBall
after my main yesterday I tried to break it... I couldn't

I just wanted to see what it would take to break something. I tried everything that I can see happening during a race and nothing broke popped off, nothing. Just kept going.
Thats nuts!
Old 11-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
That's your fact. I'll put my Lazer against it head to head in a death match any time.
That Glass bucket? You won't stand a chance! I'll start by driving through the cinder block wall that retains the dirt at our track!

Nothing against the ZX5 though, it's a great car. Just having fun here.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

LOL...I had a head-on main straight deal at SoCal yesterday in mod. I "jumped" and ended over on the straight (really narrow lanes) and got tagged head on by two cars...I did break a shock eyelet.

I haven't driven THROUGH a cinderblock, but at least one time each race night, I end up in close proximity to them...LOL

It used to have a couple brittle parts wen it came out a couple years ago...but they've been nearly constantly revising them to the point where it's definitely as tough or tougher than any other 4wd out there. It's not a night unless I get a gasp out of the crowd.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've had the MRC, BJ4, and a ZX5. Now I have a B44. B44 is HANDS DOWN the BEST 4wd EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The MRC was hands down the biggest POS ever.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kenshu
I've had the MRC, BJ4, and a ZX5. Now I have a B44. B44 is HANDS DOWN the BEST 4wd EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow...I guess it must be the best cause it's the new ever, huh? I think the SP will be the best one ever when it comes out next month.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

It's not a night unless I get a gasp out of the crowd.
Attaboy! Another racer that understands the value of showmanship.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Davidka
Attaboy! Another racer that understands the value of showmanship.
That's right! Just doing my part to promote the hobby.

Watching some uneventful heat full of pros running nose to tail can be really boring to watch.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Wow...I guess it must be the best cause it's the new ever, huh? I think the SP will be the best one ever when it comes out next month.
Not because it's new. Because it handles better then any 4wd ever. And I've been running them all since 1984. How many MRC made the feature at the worlds??????? Yeah I thought so. If it was such a good car with great support then why doesn't any good driverss want to drive it. AHHHH??
Old 11-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Because MRC doens't want to pour that kinda money into a team....DUH??
Old 11-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

kenshu- I agree with you on the subject of the MRC, but DAMN DUDE....can't you lower your tone a bit? And what makes the B44 so much better than the BJ4? Besides price, of course. Myself...I'll keep rockin' my XX-4 and continue spanking shafties regardless of track conditions. I've even got changing the front belt down to 45 mins., give or take.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Doodad
kenshu- I've even got changing the front belt down to 45 mins., give or take.
Priceless!
Old 11-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kenshu
Not because it's new. Because it handles better then any 4wd ever. And I've been running them all since 1984. How many MRC made the feature at the worlds??????? Yeah I thought so. If it was such a good car with great support then why doesn't any good driverss want to drive it. AHHHH??
lol you sound like a 12 year old. Im sure you would know that if ACADEMY wanted to front the cash to get a team going, im sure you'd see the SBV2s and GV2s be a much bigger force. Nothin against the other cars though, they're all great too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.