R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-17-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Do you think...

Okay, so I've been using these forums for a while now to gain some info on all the new gear and kits thats been coming out. I've been out of the hobby for a little while now and the itch is returning. I usually race in 1/10 electric touring and wanted to try a hand at 4wd electric off-road. I think we could all agree that although these class of cars are making somewhat of a comeback, it's not as popular as you would think it would be. Do you think this is because there are no cars in this class for the 'occasional' racer? I mean, to get a used xxx-4 would cost around 200 not to mention everything else to go with it. Do they even make a non graphite version of this kit anymore, or was it just not popular enough? Maybe if they made a kit that was somewhat more affordable then this class would really take off? Forgive me if I'm wrong but the main cars in this category would be the B44, MR4-BX, xxx-4 and the sbv2 pro. All of these cars are 300+ for the kit alone. For example, when I was running TC's there were non graphite versions of the xxx-s and the tc3 that you can buy for 150. These cars , although not graphite, could still compete with the best of them. Is it just me that feels this way?

Sorry if this sounds like I'm bitchin' about hobby, I really not trying to. I will eventually get one, I would just like avoid droppin' 600 bucks for another car if I could.
TNutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GroffBall

I really don't think cost has much to do with the fact that 4wd isn't big. I think it has more to do with the fact that 2wd buggy is the big thing and to get people to run two classes doesn't always work. However with LIPO and brushless coming on I think that could change. I know I can easily run two classes now and still have time to BS in the pits.
GroffBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I was reluctant to try 4wd but now that I have I am hooked. Kyosho makes an RTR version of it's ZX5 that doesn't look to shabby and is very affordable.
The Stadium at Pegasus Hobbies:tire:
JamesnMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Never cut corners with 4wd kits, you will only have many disapointing days at the track followed by costly trips to the hobby shop to upgrade the buggy. The reason the non-graphite XXX4 went away was because it was too delicate and once the graphite one came out nobody bought the plastic car anymore (same with the XXX and XXXt). There is alot of good stuff out there now but the cost of entry is higher than with 2wd.
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head."

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

I experimented with 2wd a while back. I had a t3 truck, I just found it hard to get it to hook up on any surface with a little more power (maybe I just had no idea what I was doing ). This is why I was a little surprised to see that 4wd electric wasn't more popular than it is, you could get the car to be so much more drivable at much higher speeds.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

I really appreciate the input guys. I guess with all the abuse these cars go through, it really is a good idea not to cut corners. And like Groffball says, with Lipo's and BL getting super popular, maybe this class will explode in the future.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You must not have done much research (I'm not trying to be a jerk). Tamiya is getting ready to release the DB-01 Durga, its supposed to be their budget version of the 501X. Speculation is that the price should be about $170-$180. Tamiya also has the DF03 line of chassis (Dark Impact, Keen Hawk) at about $130. Kyosho has the ZX-5 RTR which is around 200 dollars and all you need is batteries and a charger (which I'm sure you have). A used xx4 will run you around $150, this class isn't really a "once in a while" class for most, so there is not going to be very many "once in a while cars", but you should be able to get one of these cars and be semi-competetive. Who knows you might even be able to find a really nice car for sale cheap (usually when person selling the car needs money/wife thinks he has too many cars/frustrated with racing/local offroad track is closing... I could go on with numerous reasons but you get the point). It's all about how determined you are to find what you want, and after you drive 4wd mod a few times you might become more than a "once in a while" racer, and then you, like the rest of us, will be buying that new $600 dollar kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you think...-durga.jpg   Do you think...-ky30861t1b.jpg  
ifuonlyknew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

when my lhs and racetrack opened up 2 years ago we only had maybe 5 4wd's now any given nite we can have a B main with just our local guys
hyperguy is offline   Reply With Quote