Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro guy getting into electric....esc help

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Default Nitro guy getting into electric....esc help

Well guys and gals, the winter is upon us here in the northwest and I am gearing up to get into a factory team B4 to satisfy the winter need for speed...lol

Heres my dilema: im new!! haha I need to know what the best ESC/ Motor combination is. So far i am looking at a brushless lipo set up(less fuss less mess for me). looking at like a novak 6.5 or mamba set up.

if there is a thread like this somewhere already...let me know...lol

Thanks guys
Old 11-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Novak is pretty much the only way to go for racing right now. The LRP works very well and is smaller but has not demonstrated nearly the reliability that the Novak GTB setup has. The Mamba is very good too but can have cogging problems since it is not sensored. Go with the Novak and don't look back. 8.5 or 7.5 max for 2wd buggy, 7.5 or 6.5 for truck (6.5 is still a little much) and 6.5 for 4wd.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Keep an eye out for the R1 Pro from tekin if it comes available. Otherwise, like above, go with the novak if your going to get serious. And a higher turn for 2wd. IMO. I own both a GTB & MM and I love them both. As for power there are various companys making LiPo packs. I would recommend a hard cased lipo just for longevity reasons.
Good luck
Old 11-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

one part of advice i just have to give you learn how to solder. trust me you will need it.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I have seen far more GTB problems than LRP problems out here. But Novak customer service is better/quicker than the AE/LRP customer service. I have run both in both onroad and offroad and by far I prefer the LRP its much smoother, makes the Novak feel like and on/off switch.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Around my area, the B4 is the overwhelming choice of buggy... and the LRP Sphere Comp is the overwhelming speedo of choice.

By far over Novak. Most guys here run a 7.5 in the B4... Reedy, Vector, Orion, or Novak. I'm still running my old Reedy 2 star (7.5)

A lot of stock racers do run Novaks but most of the mod guys run LRP.

BTW, the Tekin systems should be really nice... and the Mambas DO NOT have a cogging problem. Any cogging problems have been from the stock connectors. Cut them off or use a different connnector and there are zero issues. The system does not cog, period.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I have used all 3 BL systems currently on the market (LRP,Novak,Mamba)Each has its own set of quirks, LRP's seem to have a really smooth power, Novaks are very reliable, and Mamba has infinate tuning capabilities. I too would suggest the GTB (spread spectrum model) if you use 2.4ghz. Its nearly as smooth as the LRP. In offroad take the cooling fan off since you will most likely get debris in the blades and break them off, plus its really not needed in offroad since you sre not on the throttle like onroad cars.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

LRP is far better than novak
and the orion lipos are great.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hobbipro
I have used all 3 BL systems currently on the market (LRP,Novak,Mamba)Each has its own set of quirks, LRP's seem to have a really smooth power, Novaks are very reliable, and Mamba has infinate tuning capabilities. I too would suggest the GTB (spread spectrum model) if you use 2.4ghz. Its nearly as smooth as the LRP. In offroad take the cooling fan off since you will most likely get debris in the blades and break them off, plus its really not needed in offroad since you sre not on the throttle like onroad cars.
its a novak,you need the fan i know.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

I would reccomend getting the most common setup used in your area. If LRP is the favorite, then go with it, if Novak, try it, etc. This way if you have any problems or questions, you have a large base of people to get help from.

For the record, I run LRP and havent had any issues with them. The reliability rap came from some of their first gen speedos, which was 2 years ago (I believe?).
Old 11-11-2007, 03:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The LRP is very smooth.

One tip for any ESC used in off road is, cover the holes in the ESC (Mode/Set/Lights) with a piece of electrical tape to keep dust/dirt from getting inside the ESC. This will greatly extend the life of the micro switches (Mode/Set).
Old 11-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Novak dominates around here in the 20 minute electric mains. The LRPs have problems finishing races and a few have switched from the LRP to Novak. The LRP is a very small ESC and the electronics over time do not hold up as well because they are just too small. I don't even use the fan on my Novak GTB and that is for 20+ minutes of hardcore racing!

Like was mentioned above, Novak's customer service is the best in the industry.

Good luck on whatever you choose!
Old 11-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey Jeremy, I had to throw my 2 cents in here!

Get a MaxAmps pack. Go visit thier shop in 9 mile and get a fat discount.
Good batteries, great guys, awesome price. (get the 300 cycle warranty)

I think overall for simplicity, you should grab a Novak over the Mamba. You'll be able to drop it in and go.
The Mamba you'll have to play with the settings to get it to perform how you like. Not a problem, but not everyone likes to bring a laptop to the track.

As far as customer service goes, sorry, but Castle rules here. No other company will send you an ESC with a self addressed box to send your broken one back.

There's another issue that hasn't really been mentioned that I know of.
With the motor in the back of the B4, it can take some hits if you loop out on big jumps. (or get hacked by a Revo)
I've got a Novak 5.5 in my B4 for 2.5 years now. It's loud, but still rips.
I've squished 2 Mamba cans within 2 months in the back of my T4 now. They are also loud now, but the hits they took were not as severe as what the Novak seemed to withstand.

You can buy replacement endbells and rotors for the Novaks. The Mamba cannot be repaired except by Castle, and I don't think they will cover impacts under warranty.

I should be able to meet you at the track this week if you want to compare the Novak and the Mamba.

Chris
Old 11-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Craps, you need to qualify your post with the fact that you are sponsored by Novak. So you don't count... j/k

At my track there has been more overheating issues with Novaks so it seems that some parts of the country favor Novak and others LRP... maybe its' the humidity.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

We put them to the test with 20 minute mains every week. Been doing the 20 minute plus racing for 4 years now I have tried alot of other systems during that time and for the money and reliability it is very hard to beat Novak.

Sure I am sponsored by Novak and I can honestly say I would use they're product if I was not. I used to use a sensorless brand and got tired of getting beat by Novak everyweek, so you know the old saying "if you can't beat em, join em"! Well I did!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.