R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-01-2007, 01:32 PM   #31
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NJA82

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
You may be right, but if his car is spinning due to there not being enough traction then you are not too light, you are over powered. lol Try a 7.5 motor. .
Spot on, run a smaller motor because less weight will have more power with the same motor as previously due to a stronger power to weight ratio, run a bit more negative throttle expo or run a bigger pinion gear, there is no way you can argue that you have no traction when running on the weight limit... Years ago cars used to all be on the weight limit, all graphite etc. with lighter 2000mah cells etc. and pretty big wind motors, yes they didnt have as much power as brushless but they had a lot less grippy tyres as well... think about it Throttle control is all you need, you cant punch a lighter car but a lighter car WILL accelerate faster, brake faster, pivot around turns faster and just be more nimble EVERY TIME. The argument to compare to real motor racing isnt irrelevent, real racing they lower the weight as much as possible for the reasons i mentioned above, they have stupid amounts of power as well but also run a restricted power limit as well which is somethin R/C hasnt seen yet for modified. Once a setup has been optimized for a lighter car and its dialled, it WILL be faster than a 200grams heavier car EVERY TIME.
NJA82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #32
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GroffBall

are you guys talking about being right at the legal weight or being under weight? I've found my car handles great at the legal weight and havn't had to add any extra weights to get the car to handle well, however when the car is under weight it handles awful. I think the key is adding the weight at the right places to make the car balanced and you shouldn't need to add weight above the legal min.

B4 with 3200 packs and orion 7.5 motor
GroffBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #33
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Fwiw the only tire to run at my offroad track is a Pink taper with Trinity Bomb 1 gray foam. When I switched from Nimh to Lipo I tried a softer foam (stock Losi) and the car still ran better with the firmer foam. I expected it to be better with the stock foam.
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head."

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #34
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

When you set up a lighter car small changes will be a lot more noticeable and thus make setting the car up more dificult. Most people will settle for a good setup, but not a great setup. When you run a heavey car there are more good setups then there are w/ a lighter car. If throttle control is an issue for you then motor down. You are running a lighter car and that bl system equiv to a 9turn brushed motor is probly way too hot for the car. Switch to a 7.5 or 4600 mamba and you should be fine. The simple physics of a lighter car will allow you to corner faster w/out spinning out. If your car is unstable with less weight then you need to take a good hard look at your setup. Odds are your lighter car is running springs that are too stiff and thus making the car ultra agressive.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #35
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

so can we try and make a "GENERALIZED" statement about weight and setup?

Lighter your car is....stiffer you need the suspension? and vise versa? Am I thinking correctly?
Chris Woods

TQ Racing Wire
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:31 PM   #36
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NJA82

Um... i think you mean the other way around dude?

On the XXX-CR if you really have a problem with it being to light try not adding weight but dropping to a 0.3 rate softer spring than you have now, 5wt lighter shock oil and a little more camber and front toe in to stop it being as twitchy. As i said i left mine stock and i love it, i run Jesse Robbers setup and its great.
NJA82 is offline   Reply With Quote