Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I race this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 04:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Can I race this?

I have a local club that runs 1/10 offroad buggies and trucks. I have an XXX-T and a XXX. I am looking to race this season for the first time and I was wondering if you guys could tell me if I could compete with the other guys. My XXX-T has a novak dually, sanyo 2000s, 2 D4 13t's and some other stock motors, the radio is the 2PEKA (Junior Mag) and standard servo's. It is the same setup in the XXX except different pinions. I have teeth 16-26 aswell. Let me know if you think I could make a good run for there money.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:56 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

You might want to go to stock motors, and enter a novise class. If you enter mod your first time racing, you'll get smoked, go with the guys that are just getting into it, there will be a lot of hacking, but believe me, you'll be one of the hackers too.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:57 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

BTW, most modified racers are running lower than 10 turn motors, and I know I true my comm after every 2 runs.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well I've raced with my brother and friends a whole lot, its not even fun I destroy them. And what does cutting your comms every 2 runs actually do? Isn't that excessive? About the motors... I've been looking at some of those core motors, they any good? I like trinity a lot so I think I might just get another, maybe a D5 with lower turns, like how low should I go? My esc can handle any motor so it doesn't matter. Price isn't that big of an issue... I'd say no more than $70 each. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Seriously, take my advice, pick up a stock motor and run the novise class. Track racing is much different than bashing, you will get killed in a modified class, and basically just get in the way of the racers... Truing the comm and changing the brushes every 2 runs ensures my motor will be fast, most of the top racers will do the same.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well seeing that I don't have a lathe I true mine every like 10 or so runs at my LHS. I have a bunch of stock motors to choose from. Do you think I should run a P2k pro? I haven't been just ramping my XXX-T off wooden boards for a couple years. I have a 30'x40' track in my back yard and have raced with 6 other R/Cs. There were 3 guys from my local track and they had some pretty nice T3's. Nothing compared to my XXX-T but I still didn't even get lapped, got 2nd place. Guess even after 3 years of being in the hobby I'm still a young Jedi. Also, I highly doubt there is enough wear on the comm. after 2 runs to actually make a difference.

EDIT: Almost forgot to say thanks for all the help.
Old 05-24-2003, 03:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Go to the track and figure out what the guys are running for motors, then just get some practice time in before you start, mess with all of the suspension adjustments, see what they do to the car. Home tracks, and racetracks are extremely different, just practice, practice, practice.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

I practiced there all last year during the week. I got a pretty good feel for the course too. I know what everyone's running and my truck is all set. It opened again yesterday (Memorial Day) so I'm going to go down there after school and see what's going on. Thanks again.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

run run sure can run!!!!
Old 05-27-2003, 08:20 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Did you race or just watch? You gotta get out on that track in a race to have the fun man.
Old 05-27-2003, 02:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yes, I raced with some of the regulars... there's about 30 or so guys that show up, some drive from new york and ohio (I'm in PA). I just did a practice race and ended up 3rd out of 7 guys. So I don't know what that means but I'll just do that some more and see if the owner thinks I can race. Most of them were running Trinity D4's so that's why I got them. I guess the owner has a hookup for trinity stuff, his shop always has cheap trinity motors. So the owner told me to get the D4's and helped me tune my suspension a little to the track. After a couple rear shock towers (kept breaking ballstuds off in the tower) I finally got it to run nicely. I just bought a new pair of the proline m3 bowties. Need to get some wheels though. Thanks for the help Randman.