Wiki Posts
Search

Prices going down?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default Prices going down?

Is it just me, or is the value of cars nowadays simply unstable and unpredictable. I remembered a few years ago, a FT TC3 would remain $299 for over 3 years(maybe even longer). Nowadays, cars have a higher starting price, but the price drops significantly faster. My 415 used to be worth $400 roughly a year ago. Now, i'd be lucky to sell it back for $150. Does anyone else see this?!

Also, now that the BJ4 crew is helping to make the B44, is the BJ4 price going to skyrocket to hell, or will it remain a rare car?
Old 10-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Its just that the technology in your 415 isn't the same in a 007, Type-R, Phi, and other TC's. When a product gets old prices have to be pushed down to sell units. Theres no way in hell a BJ4 would sell for $475 like the BJ4WE is. Theres no way in hell a FTTC3 would sell for $400 like Type-R's, Cyclones, and other fast cars. Its a supply and demand thing here.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Also there will soon be a 416 to replace the 415.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

THat's what I mean. Nothing holds value anymore. Anything we get today, will be worth half the price in a few months. I feel that the RC industry is starting to get greedy.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I guess it depends on they way you look at it. I recently got back into racing (offroad) and it cost me about $1200 to start from scratch and be ready for the track. 10-15 years ago that price was much closer to $2500.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Its not only that, but for a few extra bucks you can get a brand new ride with all the hop ups already on it. Where I live my Mi2 isn't worth selling as id lose well over 75% of what I payed for it 9 months ago new. The demand is so high at the moment that RTR has just smashed the market, which is a good way to get into the hobby, but it blows ass if you want to off load some old gear.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Intotheblade,

thats true. I think they are.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Regular

I think too, it's also more competitive. All the companies are looking for that edge on the track which gives them an edge in sales. So new cars come out faster. Look at the 8th scale market. I remember when there were like 3 cars, the OFNA, Kyosho, and Mugen. Now who honestly wants to count all the buggies you can buy now?
If there is something that is newer and better, the old loses value.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Tech Regular

And seriously...is the 416 going to be THAT much superior to the 414? I had the 414 World's edition...and it ran great. Later I bought the 415...and didn't really see much of a difference. Sure they're different, but the overall quality and performance is the same to me. I'm sure some could argue that blah blah has more options etc. But I'm sure any top driver today could still bring the same results even with the old cars. I mean...look at the XX4. All the updates and new versions are all about money nowadays. All ways to inspire us to dish out more money. Technology isn't really pushing any limits here with car designs, only with the electronics. Dual belt driven cars were proven 10 years ago, and they still are today. Only today there are more anodized aluminums, and the price is doubled. Just my opinion on this subject. I thought competition was supposed to lower the prices, and benefit the consumers, (What I learned in Business class).
Old 10-27-2007, 09:10 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Intotheblade
And seriously...is the 416 going to be THAT much superior to the 414?
It doesn't really matter though, because if it is ANY better, why would someone buy something older, used and not as good for a high value? Parts of RC are extremely high tech. Others are not as much. A B4 for example, has been the same price since it came out ($200-$215). You can get $125 for a roller...that's not bad. But if you try to sell once a month before the next versoin (B5) comes out, it won't be worth as much. Perfect example, BJ4 Worlds buggies. You could sell a used BJ4 WE in good shape for $350 easily, until the B44 became common knowledge.. not it is more like $300, or lower...
Old 10-28-2007, 06:16 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Common trend with Used RCs I guess. I find it really interesting on electronics like ESCs. With the whole brushless thing taking off, ESCs that usually could pull in $60 or more used can barely get $35 for, and its so much the newer models, its that brushless is just so popular (example- Novak Cyclone C2s could always sell them good prices versus the newer brushed novaks till the brushless stuff came).

Heck, I still get a kick that I can get more for a reversible sport Esc now than I can get for a novak cyclone, both been around about the same time. strange stuff! but, since one is race oriented and guys are trying to go brushless a lot for that now, its not worth as it much it seems as the RTR type ones.

As for cars, I have found that in general when you sell also determines your price a lot. If you sell a vehicle that can be offseason, alot of guys are probably dumping there stuff too so you won't get as much as if it was the beginning of the season and people were looking to get in.

Touring car prices in my opinion have gone nuts. I remember it was a class where you could show up with say a TC3 team or other team vehicle (heck, even a rtr) and not feel like you were not competitive. Now, even though the car may still have it, the gleem of the $400 cars all over the place just is in stark contrast to what used to be ran not too long ago.

And after you buy your brand new car, you use it barely at all, heck even once or just build it, and whammo like driving a car off the lot at a dealership, it drops in price big time.

That is why now if I buy something new, it is something that I know I am going to commit to for awhile regardless of what the market is going to do, at least for a whole season. Probably why I haven't bought a car brand new in awhile.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

Just today I had the urge to jump into 1/8 nitro truggies. But then after looking at the prices, I was reminded of this discussion. I had a lot of thought for the Muggy. But after thinking it over a while, I realized how many brands there are today on the market gearing towards the truggies. Spending $400 right now is just suicide, since chances are, it's going to be worth $250 RTR next week. BJ4 used to be $450 or more on ebay. Nowadays, they barely get $350.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)

I blame ebay and the classifieds. People like me NEVER buy a new chassis, I simply buy ''last years'' technology because its good enough for me to have fun with. I have a pair of 007's that i got for about 50% of new price (with spares) and i will be able to turn around and sell them for about what i paid for them when i am done with carpet for the season and move my invested interest back to offroad.

Because i dont have new price invested i dont mind taking a lower offer, in example-

New 007 kit - 400.00
i paid 250.00 (63 % of new cost)
i will pry sell for 175.00 (43% of new cost)

However if you offered a guy that bought the car new 175 he would be pissed......

Just my .02