Wiki Posts
Search

Help new guy setup Losi XXX-T

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Help new guy setup Losi XXX-T

Hey guys, I am just getting into R/C cars and I really like them. The thing is I am getting discouraged since I am having trouble setting it up and right now I dont feel it handles well at all. It pushes through the turns like crazy and has very low traction. I have tried 5 different sets of tires but the problem is setup related.

I bought the car used. It is a Team Losi XXX-T MF1. The track I ride at is a very hard packed, wet clay like surface. Tight and fairly smooth. (It is Long Island Raceway. I see a lot of people post here from the area.)The best tires I have found so far are the Pro Line Holeshots. I have Losi Directionals in the front but I still need to try out the Pro Line Blades which may be better.

Anyway I am not new to chassis/suspension setup. I know about camber, caster, toe, ackerman effect, spring rates, damping, oil weights, and other setup parameters and their effects. I am just not familiar with R/C cars and what specific setups they require.

Right now the car has yellow/flourescent yellow springs in the rear and red springs in the front if that makes any difference.

I looked up some of the setups of Matt Francis and other drivers and tried to half emulate their setup and that made things worse. First off because I am not a good driver yet and because I didnt go all the way through with their settings.

I think what I will do is redo all four shocks with different oil and spring rates and change their position on the shock towers. Then change all 4 wheels settings for camber and toe.

What would be a good starting point to put the car at? What toe, camber, shock setup ect...

I see the blank setups sheets like this...

http://www.losiboard.com/pdf/xxxt_LB.pdf

It would be nice if someone could somehow fill that out but I understand thats asking for a lot.

If you need any info let me know. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Try this one out and go from there.

http://www.losi.com/Content/PDF/Setu...reg_nats03.pdf

Also go here and download the setup sheet for dummies and use it to help fine tune your ride.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesnMeyer
Try this one out and go from there.

http://www.losi.com/Content/PDF/Setu...reg_nats03.pdf

Also go here and download the setup sheet for dummies and use it to help fine tune your ride.
That setup is pretty much the one I tried to do halfway and made it worse. Here is my concern. When I bought the car the shocks were very upright. In that setup they are very very angled towards horizontal. Is that normal for R/C rear set ups?

And where can I find and download the setup sheet for dummies? I dont see it. Thanks again.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

pick a set-up , stick with it , and practice till you can race 5 minutes without crashing , then time to fine tune , just my 2 cents , ray
Old 11-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default Set Up

I always start with the stock set up (available on Losi.Com) and make small changes from there. The right tires are a big part of the game. Ask the locals what they are running. Camber and ride height seem to be the next most important.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

tires are probably the most important factor in tuning. Find out exactly what compound tire and tread design people are using, then find out if they are doing anything to them to make them have more traction like motor spray and setting them on fire, buggy grip, soaked in diesel or whatever.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i too have an old XXX-t MF1 truck. i have found that for my track (loamy when dry) that step pins in the rear work good. i run 30 F, 35 R shock oil, pink F, orange R springs, 1*camber F, 2* camber rear, stock shock locations, stock shock pistons, the front sets level with the rear and the rear dogbones are level, not the arms. i run a 10x2 orion mod motor, w/ 88/17 gearing and IB 4200's.