Wiki Posts
Search

4wd Preference?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default 4wd Preference?

Before I get flamed about asking the all time redundant question "Which is the best....", I want to ask for everyone's opinion. Most of the top competitive Ep 4wd buggies today share basically a common design and drive train. But we obviously know they're different in the tiniest ways. I'm no pro (or anywhere near pro) driver, but even I can notice the difference when driving my Academy V1 and V2, and even the V2 PRO. I'm currently driving a TC3"O"V3, and very pleased with it.

Anyway, the question is...What is your driving style, and what do you look for in a 4wd buggy? And what are the differences you find in all the ones you've driven?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My opinion is the XX4. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I like the sbv2 pro and the zx-5 simply because they accept standard sxs packs. I don't have to go get special packs just to run the class.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:22 AM

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by BuggyKing
My opinion is the XX4. Just my 2 cents.
+1
Old 10-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I am your typical below average mod buggy driver, that does just fine in stock settings....

Ive owned the X5, XX4, SB V1 & Pro, SB V2 & Pro, ZX5....

I drove the SB V1 pro very well....using a 19T motor, when I overpowered the car, I drove like crap. I struggled with the X5, again, I feel due to being overpowered. I attempted the SB V2, putting a "lite" motor in it (Mamba 4600) and it was okay, but I still stayed in the bottom half of the field. With my XX4 and brushless (6.5) it goes like a bandit, and I can drive it decent, usually the middle of the field, so +1 there, I bought the ZX5 and moved the 6.5 there...very happy. Still setting up the car a bit, havent found my "happy" place yet, but doing as well as I was with the XX4. I have gotten rid of all my other 4wds (didnt own them all at the same time mind you) and have kept the XX4 & ZX5. For handling, the XX4 just seems to glide over rough stuff, I just cant bring myself to get rid of it. It will sit in my pit box as a "just in case" car. I will continue to drive the ZX5 and slowly get the suspension the way I like it (which usually DOESNT match team driver set ups).

My opinion is pick up a 4wd that you feel comfortable with the parts support for, and start there. If you have a couple choices, go with your gut and pull the trigger. Not everyone can drive a wheeler like the pros, so find something your comfortable with and SLOWLY put better and better motors in it. I see guys using 13.5 & 10.5 motors in there wheelers and doing very well (read in control) and placing well in races. I know in my mind I should do this, but havent brought myself to do it....yet.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wfdfiremedic
I like the sbv2 pro and the zx-5 simply because they accept standard sxs packs. I don't have to go get special packs just to run the class.
I completely agree with you HAHAHA. I was debating whether to get the BJ4, D4 or the TC3"O" V3. My decision was made based on the fact that the V3 enabled stick packs. All 3 of them cost the same anyway.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jk racing
I am your typical below average mod buggy driver, that does just fine in stock settings....

Ive owned the X5, XX4, SB V1 & Pro, SB V2 & Pro, ZX5....

I drove the SB V1 pro very well....using a 19T motor, when I overpowered the car, I drove like crap. I struggled with the X5, again, I feel due to being overpowered. I attempted the SB V2, putting a "lite" motor in it (Mamba 4600) and it was okay, but I still stayed in the bottom half of the field. With my XX4 and brushless (6.5) it goes like a bandit, and I can drive it decent, usually the middle of the field, so +1 there, I bought the ZX5 and moved the 6.5 there...very happy. Still setting up the car a bit, havent found my "happy" place yet, but doing as well as I was with the XX4. I have gotten rid of all my other 4wds (didnt own them all at the same time mind you) and have kept the XX4 & ZX5. For handling, the XX4 just seems to glide over rough stuff, I just cant bring myself to get rid of it. It will sit in my pit box as a "just in case" car. I will continue to drive the ZX5 and slowly get the suspension the way I like it (which usually DOESNT match team driver set ups).

My opinion is pick up a 4wd that you feel comfortable with the parts support for, and start there. If you have a couple choices, go with your gut and pull the trigger. Not everyone can drive a wheeler like the pros, so find something your comfortable with and SLOWLY put better and better motors in it. I see guys using 13.5 & 10.5 motors in there wheelers and doing very well (read in control) and placing well in races. I know in my mind I should do this, but havent brought myself to do it....yet.
I had the exact same problems with my V1 and V2 PRO. They're great cars, but they just can't seem to deliver the power efficiently.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Intotheblade
I had the exact same problems with my V1 and V2 PRO. They're great cars, but they just can't seem to deliver the power efficiently.
I don't have that problem at all, my SBV2 puts the power of my 4.5 brushless no problem. Even on my small indoor track I can still manage to use my 4.5 no problem. It would be a lot better if I could afford to get another brushless and put a 7.5 in it, but my SBV2 is planted and durable. I have yet to break anything major on the car. A hub here and there catching a pipe off the triple..etc. Stuff that would break on any car. I don't see how it could not put the power down just like any shaft driven car. The tranny, the layout is similar to many cars out there, with small minor changes ofcourse. I have worked on quite a few and didn't notice a difference other than the fact this thing will accelerate like a bat out of hell.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I didnt have a problem laying the power down, my problem was driving the car afterwards. They both (V1 & V2) went straight like a bat outta hell, just didnt like the rough choppy stuff, especially in turns. The car was easy to upset. My personal opinion is the suspension geometery could use work. In all fairness, I didnt get the V2 a chance, I had my XX4 sitting, ready to go at every race, and if I didnt have a set up I could drive, I dropped the XX4 in and finished the day. I always had reservations of driving like a madman, I had to mail order all parts for the car (hence the reason I actually bought a sport version, just for parts). I wasnt "comfortable" behind the wheel. It is a feeling, nothing I can really put in words. The only problem I had with the V1 was busting diff outdrives...at $25 a pop, it was getting crazy. First one I had run 50+ packs before the outdrives were eaten up, replaced them and was lucky to get a raceday out of the car without busting the diff.

Bottom line in choosing a car:
  • Parts support (AKA peace of mind)
  • Battery configuration (if that is a concern)
  • Personal preference (brand A over brand B)
Old 10-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

I didnt have a problem laying the power down, my problem was driving the car afterwards. They both (V1 & V2) went straight like a bat outta hell, just didnt like the rough choppy stuff, especially in turns. The car was easy to upset. My personal opinion is the suspension geometery could use work. In all fairness, I didnt get the V2 a chance, I had my XX4 sitting, ready to go at every race, and if I didnt have a set up I could drive, I dropped the XX4 in and finished the day. I always had reservations of driving like a madman, I had to mail order all parts for the car (hence the reason I actually bought a sport version, just for parts). I wasnt "comfortable" behind the wheel. It is a feeling, nothing I can really put in words. The only problem I had with the V1 was busting diff outdrives...at $25 a pop, it was getting crazy. First one I had run 50+ packs before the outdrives were eaten up, replaced them and was lucky to get a raceday out of the car without busting the diff.

I guess I don't really have that problem. I spent about 3 hours at the track making changes to my SBV2 and I had it pretty dialed through my rough section at the track. It was getting a lil upset when I first got there, but after going down a piston size from a Losi 57 to a 56 and changed oil and springs, I got the car to just fly through the rough section of the track. This is coming from a Losi guy who has had a XX4. One of the reasons why I switched to the losi shocks was for the support as well as the fact I just know there shocks much better. I'm really surprised you gave up on the car because people were noticing the changes and how the car would just get better and faster everytime I put it on the track. It was getting soo good people were wondering what kinda car it was and was coming to my pit area. Never heard of the darn thing, the longer arms really make this car take the rough section really well and makes the car very stable. You just gotta remember that this thing likes heavy weight oil, between and 35-45 weight. I thought I was crazy for using 45 weight in this car when I first started setting it up, but I finally got my answer to why it needs that much. I didn't really question it because it only made the car better, but it did make me scratch my head a little bit. You can't set this car up like your typical BJ4/xx4 and other vehicles. I also havn't broken much of anything. Unlike the XX4 where bulkheads and shock towers were like a must have. Well that is my experiene with it.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Tech Regular

I had the same problem you had. Only mine wasn't just the outdrives, it was the internal gears as well. I used an 8turn in it, and it ate up the gearbox gear.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I am pretty much open to any vehicle, not too concerned about the saddle packs as long as the vehicle works the way I want it to when I drive it.

The XX4 I had and raced at the time worked well, but just wasn't durable even on light hits that should have been survivable.

The SB V1 Sport and Pro I had were good cars, just needed a better gearing range and stiffer plastics so they were quicker to react. Great beater vehicles though for the money.

The SB V2 Sport was interesting to say the least. I didn't really have any durability issues (especially since I did the oring trick on the rear), and out of the box it was more dialed than my V1 Pro when I put the same basic setup on it. Main thing I didn't like and is still on the V2 Pro is the steering rack maximum throw issue. I corrected this with a longer turnbuckle setup and it performed well.

The V2 Pro was a beast when I had it. Was very happy with its performance.

Having driven the BJ version 1, I liked the car but it felt alittle jittery over rough stuff. This from what I have been told by the guy who had it and upgraded to a WE edition was gone with that change over.

Also got to see a ZX5 go, very nice.

I think the thing is if you have the chance, wheel a variety of vehicles and see what you like. Everyone has different tastes. I can honestly say that I could be happy with another V2 Pro, or even a B44 or ZX5. Belts are really not my thing to be honest with you, but I am open to the saddle setup.

I do hope however that Academy will make a V2 Pro Type R or something that uses the new axle style to use AE / Losi Rear rims and losi front rims, as well as putting those threaded shocks on, include CNC rear 3 degree hingepin brace, and include that extra center CNC brace as well.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

Now that 4wd EP class is making a return, I'd like to see some companies make aftermarket upgrade parts for some of the cars. I remembered all the companies that made upgrades for the HPI Pro2, TC3, XXXs, etc etc. Would be nice to see the same happen to these buggies. Only thing I've seen so far were the KM conversion for the ZX-5. Which I admit, is stunning. It really made me want to get a ZX-5. Anyone heard of Megatech? They were an old company. Their site is still up, but I'm not sure if they're still actively doing business.