Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
OK,So were do i start............................ >

OK,So were do i start............................

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

OK,So were do i start lol .

I have been racing Nitro 4 years these december.

I am wanting to give electric a shot !.

Were do i start....

I now nothing about electric.I only have 4 electric car's and they are.

Rc18t
Rc18b
Rc18b
Rc18mt

I just use nihm batts on those and hardly ever run theme anymore.

So what is a good starter truck for electric?

How do you change brushes?

Wene do you now brushes need to be changed?

Should i go lipo?

See i dont now jack about electric and i am needing help

I am probly going to start electric in these coming january.

Thnx,xsx
Old 10-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It al depends on what you are going to do. If you are racing I sugest going to the local electric track and seeing what rules they have as far as lipo and brushless. as far as a truck, what scale??? 10th scale it is eather Losi xxx-t or the AE rc10T. Changing brushes will depend on how you run the truck, I cut com's and changes brushes after every night of racing.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Tech Addict

If you're brand new I'd strongly suggest going brushless. Then you cut comms and replace brushes NEVER!
Definately go to the track you will race at and see what the fast guys are running. If its like Planet everybody will steer you in the direction you need to go.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mfishel
If you're brand new I'd strongly suggest going brushless. Then you cut comms and replace brushes NEVER!
Definately go to the track you will race at and see what the fast guys are running. If its like Planet everybody will steer you in the direction you need to go.
Wene i go to the rack and race every saturday and sunday my mugen before the race the electirc drivers go out and do a few runs before nitro comes in and they have mostly have novak and mamba's out there raceing and a few stock.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

a good truck for electric would be like a Losi Mf2 kit. A durable kit for racing and bashing as well.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

If you can run li//bl I would run li//bl. For your 1/18th scales you can pick up a mamba system w/ a mid range bl motor. As far as lipos are concerned you can pick up a 2s(7.4 volt) 1500mah-2100 mah battery that will easily fit in your car. You can also pick up a charger such as the orion park flight charger and a cheap power converter if you don't plan on running 1/10th scale. Orion or kokam are the best lipos. If you are looking to run 1/10th scale truck then I would pick up the new losi xxx-cr. For larger lipos I like the astro flight 109 charger.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Starter Truck

I would go with the T4 and the Li-Po and Brushless Setup or the XXX-TCR with brushless and Li-Po. Those two are both good trucks.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

GO with the Losi XXXT CR, it is good out of the box,then throw a novak or LRP brushless system in it,6.5 or 5.5 will be good depending of track surface and traction.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Tech Champion

XXXT CR would be another choice too. i dont know about running that much pwer in a truck. But I guess it depends if u can get traction.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Old 10-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by xsxracing
I would say go to your local track. I don't run brushless or lipo and i cut my comm every 2 weeks or so.

You don't need brushless, when i came to this forum i read brushless lipo this and that. in reality i went to the track and nobody runs lipo and nobody ran brushless other then in mod. So i really suggest you just go to the track and see what class is very competitive for you and buy accordingly.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Tech Champion

Also to change the brushes on a like a stock motor you just remove the spring on the top and slide the brush out. it really easy.

In off road i dont think you need to cut the comm that often but i have a lathe so i do it more so. brushes are like 4 bucks. My suggestion is go with the sphere ESC this way you can go brushless down the road or just have the ability to do what you want.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Tech Champion

Like u said early sell all except the 18t and run the T4 kit when u get it in January.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The best advise on here so far is go to the track you plan on racing at. I know some tracks have embraced Lipo and brushless, where others have not. So you need to see what your competition is running and what your track allows. Then come back and ask for specifics, such as which NIMH batteries to run, or who makes good lipo packs, and once you decide to run brushed or brushless motors ask about those specifically. It'll save you the headache of having to sift through the argument you've started here.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Chris Brown
The best advise on here so far is go to the track you plan on racing at. I know some tracks have embraced Lipo and brushless, where others have not. So you need to see what your competition is running and what your track allows. Then come back and ask for specifics, such as which NIMH batteries to run, or who makes good lipo packs, and once you decide to run brushed or brushless motors ask about those specifically. It'll save you the headache of having to sift through the argument you've started here.
Ok thanks chris

Thnx,xsx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.