Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Type 540 Motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Type 540 Motor

I have upgraded my motor to sports tuned. Have played over 20 times. The speed is very slow as compared when it was brand new.

is it dirty or beginning to wear and tear like any other parts? I know u can get get the spray clean to clean it. Is there any kind of visual guide on how to spray clean the motor?

anyone can advise? Thanks.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bearbearfury
I have upgraded my motor to sports tuned. Have played over 20 times. The speed is very slow as compared when it was brand new.

is it dirty or beginning to wear and tear like any other parts? I know u can get get the spray clean to clean it. Is there any kind of visual guide on how to spray clean the motor?

anyone can advise? Thanks.
It sounds like you need to cut your comm or replace the brushes. Can you post a picture of your motor?
Old 10-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

A Sports Tuned motor is a sealed-can motor...no cutting or changing brushes.

If it's going a lot slower, you might have hurt it with too much gear. You have to run a lower gear (5.0-5.5) with them or you'll kill them fast.

You can try some motor spray and some comm drops, but if you burned it...it's pretty much done.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
A Sports Tuned motor is a sealed-can motor...no cutting or changing brushes.

If it's going a lot slower, you might have hurt it with too much gear. You have to run a lower gear (5.0-5.5) with them or you'll kill them fast.

You can try some motor spray and some comm drops, but if you burned it...it's pretty much done.
Ic....so It means that I have to get a new motor? Actually what is thye lifespan of such tamiya sports tuned motor?
Old 10-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

i raced 540 for 2 seasons and when the motor is slow it is time for a new one.
as mentioned before gearing is a big factor and also heat. heat is normally caused buy excesssive gearing or excessive run time. i used to gear mine right on the edge as you had to to be competative. i use to get about 2 or 3
race meets out of a motor. i also used to use com drops b4 every race but i found if you use motor spray aswell they didnt last as long.unfortunatly they arnt a very robust motor and if your not racing and just bush and park hacking i would look at another motor ie.....stock motor
thats my 2cents
hope this helps
Old 10-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

They look identical to a regular Mabuchi or Johnson motor, but they're cranked-up inside. You can really put some gear to a silver can motor, but if you do it to a Sport-Tuned (black can), they go "POOF!" pretty quickly.

You almost can't kill a silver can motor, but you can definitely kill a black can.

I always motor spray my silver can motors after each heat...it's never seemed to hurt them. I spray them out with air, then hose them down with spray...let it dry, then a drop of oil in each bushing and one on the comm and go race again. I'm no expert, but it seems to run fine.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by acko
i raced 540 for 2 seasons and when the motor is slow it is time for a new one.
as mentioned before gearing is a big factor and also heat. heat is normally caused buy excesssive gearing or excessive run time. i used to gear mine right on the edge as you had to to be competative. i use to get about 2 or 3
race meets out of a motor. i also used to use com drops b4 every race but i found if you use motor spray aswell they didnt last as long.unfortunatly they arnt a very robust motor and if your not racing and just bush and park hacking i would look at another motor ie.....stock motor
thats my 2cents
hope this helps
yeap. a motor spray cost half the price of a motor. I think I should get the new sports tuned motor then. Realised that there are so many things that wear & tear for every parts including the motor in this hobby . me just started in off road buggy.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

yeah theres nothing cheap in this hobbie. the main thing that sh@t me in 540 was the high motor consumption. loved the racing though as it all comes down to driver skill and car set up
lovin the novak ss motor but
Old 10-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I wonder if it would be beneficial to you to pickup a brushless system to play with, and when its race time, use your 540 motor then? Alot of the ESCs can do brushed and brushless.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Cain
I wonder if it would be beneficial to you to pickup a brushless system to play with, and when its race time, use your 540 motor then? Alot of the ESCs can do brushed and brushless.
Hi, sorry. i have no idea what is a brushless system........ Me very new in this hobby.......
Old 10-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Here are some places that make brushless systems:

www.teamnovak.com
www.castlecreations.com

You can get the Mamba max at Bishop Power Products pretty cheap.

the nice thing about the units are that you don't have any real motor maintanence like you do with brushed setups like what you have now. Pretty much run and go other than oiling the bearing every so often.

Alot of the brushless ESCs will also allow you to run brushed motors too.

the Mamba Max units can be had for around $175 shipped or less used. Novaks are more expensive but are good as well.

For bashing, the Mamba Max works great, and I run it for racing in stadium truck, no complaints.