Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fried Nimh?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

Default Fried Nimh?

I was charging my Nimh batteries yesterday at 5 amps, and when I came back after a while the pack was very hot. The plastic had melted off a few of the batteries completely. Have I destroyed this pack? I have the intellipeak charger and if I don't disconnect the batteries the charger will keep charging untill the batteries are very hot. They will get too hot to hold for more than a second or two. They shouldn't be that hot right, just warm.

They get too hot to hold after i've used them in my car for a run .
Is this normal? I know my gearing is in the ballpark so i don't think it's that.

Also how hot should my 14 turn motor be with proper gearing?

Any ideas or recommendations. I'm now charging them at 4.5.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2003, 04:08 PM
Tech Regular

Did you let the batt cool before you charged it? If you are going to charge it at the packs limet atleast let it cool down. I have a nicd that melted off the heat shrink and it still works.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

Yes i did let them cool between runs. Your right though they are fine since i posted i have been using them without an decline in performance. It just concerns me how hot they get after use. Maybe i should wait longer after there done charging to use them.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:46 AM
Tech Regular

try gearing down a few teeth. how long can you touch your motor? you should be able to touch no less than 3 sseconds.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

I think your charger is overcharging your NiMH's, they shouldn't get more than warm to the touch during charging. Is it a NIMH charger, or NiCD only. And those chargers that trickle after peaking are bad for NiMH's, I believe.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

It is a nimh charger, and yes I think your right it is over charging my batteries. I lowered it down to 4.5 amps and the batteries seem alot cooler during charging.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2003, 08:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I have used a Intellipeak on all my RX packs (nimh) for the last two years, I found out really quick, buy a small fan like a wall mart special for 10 bucks, put the batts and the charger in front of it, it will work great. I used to have probs with it either over charging or false peaking my RX/TX packs and starter box batts, since the fan, works like a charm and the 7.2 packs never break 105 degrees at a 5 amp charge. the RX batts hit about 100 on a 1 amp change and last forever.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the feedback, but i just sold my intellipeak on ebay and am looking to get a integy 16x5, 16x7, or quasar pro. I think the intelli peak can charge ok if you keep it cool and the battery with a fan but i found the discharger cuts off too low and i didn't want to buy a seperate discharger.