R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default x5 or EL8

My brain is stuck. I am racing my xxx4 on rough tracks with Nitros. The tracks are nice enough to let me race. I am sort of getting the xxx4 to do OK on the rough, so I am in no big hurry for change, but I have been looking at other options. I was considering the xx4, but with that chassis mold being worn out now, it is kind of discouraging. I have been looking into 2 other choices in great depth -- the xFactory x-5 and the Losi 8ight, converted to electric. I think either one would do nice on outdoor tracks, but I don't know which one will be more compatible with all the race tracks and racers I have yet to deal with -- I like to race with people rather than bash.

The pro for the x-5 is that I already have xxx4 gear, so basically, there is a cost advantage compared to the 8ight. The B44 is coming soon, so maybe 4wd 1/10th will be popular for a bit.

The pro for the 8ight is that it might run a little nicer on the nitro tracks. It will cost more than the x-5 for the extra battery and motor. If electric 8th becomes popular, I will be glad to be near the beginning of the wave -- rctvlive.com has an episode about 3 issues back where they said some major manufacturer was working on an electric 8th release.

Any ideas what is the best direction.
BobWoodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

A bunch of the people I know who converted either their XXX-4G+ or XX-4WE to the X-5 love it! If your used to wrenching on your XXX-4 then getting the X-5 conversion kit won't cost much at all. The only other thing you will need to do is solder your packs differently and your good to go! Read up and participate on the forums of 4WDRC.com. It should help answer some of your questions and eventually it might even guide you towards a decision. Best of luck!
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I have studied closely. Actually, I have seen pictures of folks that put a full lipo or a 6-cell pack on the 4-cell side:

-- see jatkp's post

So that is why the x-5 is still a contender, because I want to re-use my stick LiPos if possible (just ordered a maxamps 2s2p 6000, which could go in xxx4, x5 or use 2 of them in series for EL8).
BobWoodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote