R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   why no standardised rims??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/180429-why-no-standardised-rims.html)

magm20001 09-07-2007 10:26 PM

why no standardised rims???

why is it 1/10 offroad is the only class where the rims are not standardised.

ever model makes thier own rims in 1/10 off road. they should get together and make the rims standard. it makes it hard for newbies starting out.

no1uno 09-08-2007 12:28 AM

money money money they don't want to share

annie_himself 09-08-2007 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by magm20001 (Post 3652079)
why is it 1/10 offroad is the only class where the rims are not standardised.

ever model makes thier own rims in 1/10 off road. they should get together and make the rims standard. it makes it hard for newbies starting out.

I agree, they should all be the same.

Cain 09-08-2007 08:07 AM

I am ctually curious about this as well. Would like to see them go to a standard sized rim, using a hex personally like the Kyosho and academy vehicles do (I also think traxxas uses a hex for the rears?) and curious also to why for the 1/10 scale buggy vehicles, a universal front and rear wheel similar to 1/8 scale isn't used?

Be nice to have just one rim type and one rim size for front and rear.

annie_himself 09-08-2007 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cain (Post 3652686)
I am ctually curious about this as well. Would like to see them go to a standard sized rim, using a hex personally like the Kyosho and academy vehicles do (I also think traxxas uses a hex for the rears?) and curious also to why for the 1/10 scale buggy vehicles, a universal front and rear wheel similar to 1/8 scale isn't used?

Be nice to have just one rim type and one rim size for front and rear.

Do you mean for 1/10 4WD buggies or all?

I would like to see a pin design like on my Losi, easy to hook up and even easier to dissasemble if you need to take them out for any reason. Plus its less weight and rotating mass, not noticable but still less :nod:.
Oh yea, I have too many pin type wheels with tires that would go to waste!

Cain 09-08-2007 10:28 AM

correct, on 4wd buggies, though, considering 2wd trucks run same size front and rear, wonder if an optimal front and rear uni size could be possible for 2wd buggy too?

annie_himself 09-08-2007 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cain (Post 3652911)
correct, on 4wd buggies, though, considering 2wd trucks run same size front and rear, wonder if an optimal front and rear uni size could be possible for 2wd buggy too?

Nah, it would change the way they handle too much. Even for 4WD it would change the way they handle.

bender 09-08-2007 04:34 PM

Sorry, I must have missed something, as it seems to me that most of the current 1/10th off road buggies do use a similar wheel mounting system:confused:

The AE and Losi 2wd's use the same rear rims - and the Ultima can too with some cheap optional axles.

In 4wd, the BJ, Yokomo, Tamiya, and HB cars all use the same rims front and rear. I think the HB car may need an optional front hex - not sure though.

kuzo 09-08-2007 05:30 PM

Yeah but the AE and Losi's rears have different offsets. Changes the rear width if you interchange.

Personally I'm having big problems with the pin style AE wheels. The pin keeps tearing the hub apart. I wouldn't mind the hexes or Losi wheels if the offset wasn't wrong. I never had the same problem with Losi wheels.

Maybe I should change to the quick change ones on my T4.

EDIT: I just swapped my kid's XXXT wheels to my T4 and went from roughly 12.5" to 12" in width at the center of the wheels. I would guess that's a big enough difference to notice.

jelly 09-08-2007 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by kuzo (Post 3653484)
Yeah but the AE and Losi's rears have different offsets. Changes the rear width if you interchange.

the offset is the same on the buggy.

Jake S 09-08-2007 10:03 PM

the losi xxxtct uses the same rims front and rear, why can't all companies jump on board, and standardize something like this

i understand in 2wd that the front rims are narrower, and it is nice that the xxx and the b4 can use the same rears, but why not fronts too???? i know the offset is different, but why can't they all come together and fix this :) they are all pushing to the max width, but all in different ways, why not the same way to conform to ROAR rules.

from teamlosi.com:
"Quick Change Aluminum Rear Hubs
The XXX-T CR uses the same wheels on the front and rear, and features quick release rear axles that let you swap old tread for new in seconds. The same wheels can be used on the front axles using a standard wheel nut configuration. This marks the first time that both of these features have been offered on any 1/10-scale 2WD electric truck. In addition, the new aluminum, multi-adjustable rear hubs give the XXT-CR the most tunable suspension in electric truck racing. The hubs include oversized rear axle bearings for maximum durability. "

Jason Pelletier 09-08-2007 11:12 PM

i think the new mrc/academy GV2 is adaptable to all types of wheels.

BuggyKing 09-09-2007 12:52 AM

yes but each car is designed differently too. Thats a good idea though.

Scrubb 09-09-2007 05:07 AM

maybe each designer feels that their design is better, and bases their wheel mounting design on that.