Wiki Posts
Search

Rear Axle Pin's are fun!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Wink Rear Axle Pin's are fun!

hello, im somewhat knew to 2wd off road, anyway, i have a ft bf and i noticed that the rear wheels need to slide onto small pins comming off the axle to work the diffs. Now im not sure if its just me, but it can be somewhat of a pain at times trying to get that wheel lined up with that little pin. Is this just me or do those pesky little pins annoy anyone else??
Old 08-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tenpins77
hello, im somewhat knew to 2wd off road, anyway, i have a ft bf and i noticed that the rear wheels need to slide onto small pins comming off the axle to work the diffs. Now im not sure if its just me, but it can be somewhat of a pain at times trying to get that wheel lined up with that little pin. Is this just me or do those pesky little pins annoy anyone else??
It gets easier with practice but it's definitely not the best design out there. I constantly had trouble with axle pins shearing and I was just running stock in my B4. Well, I shouldn't say constantly, but at least once a month I would shear one side or the other. I like the Hex design that a lot of cars have. Impossible to put a wheel on wrong and it holds up for damn near forever.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just slide the tire onto the axle and rotate it until I feel it drop into place. On a B4 it should be easy to tell if the pin's engaged or not just by looking inside the wheel, the aluminum cone washer between the wheel & the hub should be sitting on the wheel. If you see a gap, it's not engaged.

It's a thing you get after awhile, I can change tires without even looking.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Tech Addict

You should be able to keep pressure on the axle with one thumb. Then with your other hand push and simultaneously turn the wheel towards the pin. You should feel it engage. Once the nut is tightened it may feel locked in even if it aint, so make sure before you tighten everything down.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by foolio
It gets easier with practice but it's definitely not the best design out there. I constantly had trouble with axle pins shearing and I was just running stock in my B4. Well, I shouldn't say constantly, but at least once a month I would shear one side or the other. I like the Hex design that a lot of cars have. Impossible to put a wheel on wrong and it holds up for damn near forever.
See I keep hearing and seeing people complain about drive pins shearing, and in 7-someodd years of driving Associated trucks I've never had a problem with that. I think the fix is to remove shims from the inboard side of the hub. That way the pin seats deeper inside the wheel.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default uh huh

yeah, i auctually found these long rods of metal meant for rc air planes, bend a few straight pieces off and they make some nice spare pins, i do run axel spaces, but thats just to tighten up the spacing in the hub carrier
Old 08-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Get the factory team axle pins and loctite them in and your done. No more broken pins. Been using the same pins on the truck and buggy for over 2yrs. I run mod in both.
To line up the pin i just hold the cvd from spinning and rotate the wheel till it locks in.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

there not bad I run the CVD pins instead of the hollow ones.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i bought some i think 3/32 music wire. Was like three bucks for five pices that were two feet long each, enough to replace the pins for like the next 20 years i've sheared a few in the last few years, but it sucks when the pin doesn't shear and tears the wheel up!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Heh, funny... I just sheared off my first one this past weekend.

I'm not sure what caused it, but it happens I guess. (I never wrecked in this race)

Paul