Wiki Posts
Search

Slippery When Wet

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Slippery When Wet

hello, i went to change the supr gear on my ft B4. I noticed that there is a spring that you i guess tighten when you put the spur gear on. How far do i have to compress the spring? Does it mattter? Does it do anything?

thanks,

any help would be much apprecieated?

Also, anyone know why With some of the higher end esc's, like my novak gtx, only have one positive wire that you have to bus off the positive battery and motor? I know my old duratrax intellispeed came with two wires for pos and neg?
Old 08-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tenpins77
hello, i went to change the supr gear on my ft B4. I noticed that there is a spring that you i guess tighten when you put the spur gear on. How far do i have to compress the spring? Does it mattter? Does it do anything?

thanks,

any help would be much apprecieated?

Also, anyone know why With some of the higher end esc's, like my novak gtx, only have one positive wire that you have to bus off the positive battery and motor? I know my old duratrax intellispeed came with two wires for pos and neg?
That spring is for compressing the slipper pads. The more you tighten it down, the less slippage and vice versa.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Tech Addict

why would u want slippage?
Old 08-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

the spring is there for the slipper adjustment. It crucial since the slipper will dictate your acceleration. When the slipper is properly adjusted it should pull the front up as it's slipping. The purpose of the slipper is to protect the diff.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:27 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tenpins77
why would u want slippage?
If they is no give in the drive train, then things break..

also, on you ESC question, you just put + wire to the motor and add a split off the wire to the battery.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Tech Addict

Default okay

okay, so how do u know where to start adjusting it from?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Rule of thumb: tighten the nut all the way down so that the spring is fully compressed. Then back it off two full turns. That is a pretty good starting point, adjust as the conditions dictate.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Tech Adept

tenpins- Let me give you the step by step procedure to getting your diff and slipper set right. The first thing you need to do is make sure your diff is tight, the way you check that is by taking off the right tire, pop off the ball cup for the camber link, which should let you tighten the diff screw inside the diff outdrive with a 5/64 wrench. The screw should be on the right size of the diff, unless it was put on the left side. To tighten that diff screw, hold the other sides tire, and tighten the screw to the right all the way, then back it out about a half a turn or so. This should be a good starting point. Pop the ball cup back on the car, put the tire on. Take the cap off the gear cover and like pirate60 said tighten the nut down all the way down then back it off 2-3 turns. This should be a good starting point. Now put a charged battery in your b4, turn it on, and while holding both rear tires on the ground, hit full throttle for about a second. If you here the slipper slipping and the front tires dont lift off the ground like they should, keep tightening the slipper nut until the front tires lift off the ground a couple of inches. This is the best way to set your diff and slipper.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (79%+)

Dang! now that was a reply. thanks i didnt ask the question but that was helpful.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by T. Mertz
tenpins- Let me give you the step by step procedure to getting your diff and slipper set right. The first thing you need to do is make sure your diff is tight, the way you check that is by taking off the right tire, pop off the ball cup for the camber link, which should let you tighten the diff screw inside the diff outdrive with a 5/64 wrench. The screw should be on the right size of the diff, unless it was put on the left side. To tighten that diff screw, hold the other sides tire, and tighten the screw to the right all the way, then back it out about a half a turn or so. This should be a good starting point. Pop the ball cup back on the car, put the tire on. Take the cap off the gear cover and like pirate60 said tighten the nut down all the way down then back it off 2-3 turns. This should be a good starting point. Now put a charged battery in your b4, turn it on, and while holding both rear tires on the ground, hit full throttle for about a second. If you here the slipper slipping and the front tires dont lift off the ground like they should, keep tightening the slipper nut until the front tires lift off the ground a couple of inches. This is the best way to set your diff and slipper.

Hope this helps.
the screw should be on the right side of the diff, unless it was put on the left side. That sounds funny.
Make sure it IS on the right side when you're behind the car. If it's on the left it will keep loosening up on you and eventually damage itself.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah i hope its on the right side too.....forgot to throw that in there. thanks.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wd40prerunner
Dang! now that was a reply. thanks i didnt ask the question but that was helpful.
no problem