Wiki Posts
Search

To Balance or Not to Balance Lipo Packs while charging

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default To Balance or Not to Balance Lipo Packs while charging

I've noticed that high % of the racers @ or track do not use Lipo balancers while charging Lipos.

So whats your take on this. Is it safe not to balance lipos

Last edited by RED-LINE M03; 08-09-2007 at 05:58 AM. Reason: .
Old 08-09-2007, 06:04 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I still to this date have never balanced one. Its only necessary when the pack goes out of balance. Its easily checked with a micro meter. If its out of balance, balance them on the next charge.

As a matter of fact lets say you charge your pack , run it for 5 or 6 minutes.
let it cool recharge run 5 or 6 ore minutes. You may never have to ever balance. And the pack will possibly last indefinitely. The less you discharge the pack per use the longer the pack will last and the that also lessons the chance of it going out of balance.

If you run more than 20% of the packs full charge per run the more likely it will go out of balance and lesson the cycle life.

More reason to purchase the higher MAH packs. If lipo really takes off the run times will be longer.
If they leave the run times short all is good.

I for one am headed towards the 8000's to stay ahead of the game.

I would say regardless of ones methods it still best to balance on every charge if you own a balancer.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Just like stated above, most of the time the pack will remain balanced on short runs. I check mine every charge but rarly need to balance them. The only pack that requires balancing on a regular basis is my 4s 6000 14.8volt pack. After a 20 min main in my 1/8th buggy it requires balancing.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What about balancing lipo RX packs? Is it safer to balance these batteries, will it be more critical since these get discharge over 50% each time out? Thanx
Old 08-09-2007, 07:09 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by air8
What about balancing lipo RX packs? Is it safer to balance these batteries, will it be more critical since these get discharge over 50% each time out? Thanx
Good Q. I'm starting 1/8th scale next week. Aren't they single cell.?

And I would assume no cut off for them. I may have to visit the nitro thread.?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Good Q. I'm starting 1/8th scale next week. Aren't they single cell.?

Naw, most if not all are 2s. Both packs I have are two cell. But one of them doesnt' have balance leads. So I don't know if I could put them on or not. I have no problem taking the shrink wrap off and adding the leads. I'm researching right now to see where I need to add the wires. This pack is the Protek 2000. I just got the Common Sense V2 1500 yesterday, it has a balance lead, but Common Sense says it is reverse polarity from their first version. Still researching this also.

Looks like there is 4 cells in these batteries but I think they are wired up in a 2s2p configuration. Not really sure. So this make them a 2 cell. I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Also, if you use lipo RX packs you need a regulator. Unless your servos are the robot servos from Hitec. With the regulator it will cut off power once the pack gets down to a certain voltage. I accidently tested this. I swapped radio trays in my 8 and 8T and forgot where I was with which batt. was charged, the regulator just cut voltage to both servos and the vehicle rolled to a stop. Then I realized what needed to be done. So I shut it down so I wouldn't over discharge the pack. It's comforting to know that.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

I've been using 2s lipos in planes for years before they came out with balancers or balancing taps.

I've probably got 20 packs ranging from 2s 180mah-2200mah and 3s 340mah-1850mah. I still use them, and get the same performance from them.

Just don't discharge them too far, charge them only at 1C, and you'll get plenty of life out of these batteries.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by air8
Naw, most if not all are 2s. Both packs I have are two cell. But one of them doesnt' have balance leads. So I don't know if I could put them on or not. I have no problem taking the shrink wrap off and adding the leads. I'm researching right now to see where I need to add the wires. This pack is the Protek 2000. I just got the Common Sense V2 1500 yesterday, it has a balance lead, but Common Sense says it is reverse polarity from their first version. Still researching this also.

Looks like there is 4 cells in these batteries but I think they are wired up in a 2s2p configuration. Not really sure. So this make them a 2 cell. I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong.
Cool you have some experience. I was wondering could you run 3, 5 minute qualifiers and a 20 or 30 minute main on one charge.?
Soon I'll be joining in on some of the off road gas threads to find out this stuff.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Tech Rookie

I think it also depends on the quality of the packs. My higher quality ($$$)packs stay pretty balanced while the lower cost packs need some time on the balancer.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Tech Champion

Cool you have some experience. I was wondering could you run 3, 5 minute qualifiers and a 20 or 30 minute main on one charge.?
Soon I'll be joining in on some of the off road gas threads to find out this stuff.
Actually I have a steep learning curve. Just started 1/8th scale last winter. To answer your question, yes. But the runtime will depend on the mAh of the battery. I put a 2000mah in my truggy assuming the steering servo would draw more power turning bigger tires. My buggy has a 1500mah. I have been getting run times of 1.5 hours. We are having a "Buggy 150" race in a few months. It's looking like close to 1.5 hours long. EEEK! If we are club racing we only have 10 min. mains with three 7 min. qualifiers. I usually recharge after the third weekend. But the batts. are pretty low after that. I'm going to start charging every week and wondering if balancing is necessary or not.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Tech Champion

Anyone tried that Astro Blinky balancer? Is it any good at balancing the cells? Seems odd to me after seeing some balancers that only balance cells and cost a hundey. I like testing stuff, but I don't have the "SAFE" lipo boxes that contain possible disasters so I'm a little reluctant with this. Just wondering if anyone has seen the Astro in use? Thanx
Old 08-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (79%+)

how do you balance orion lipos if that dont have the taps?
Old 08-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by wd40prerunner
how do you balance orion lipos if that dont have the taps?
Does it have a 2mm tap on the bottom.?
If not that must be the first one ever made.?
4800 or 3200.?
Old 08-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What balancer would work for the orion 4800's and a maxamps 4s pack?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.