Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi XXX4 Vs Cyclone D4 >

Losi XXX4 Vs Cyclone D4

Losi XXX4 Vs Cyclone D4

Old 08-31-2007, 02:03 AM
Tech Adept

Default Losi XXX4 Vs Cyclone D4

I want to get one of these buggies.

I heard there are some problems with the Cyclone D4 diffs and am thinking of getting the losi because it takes stick packs.

I want a pro car, I want a reliable car.

Which one??
Old 08-31-2007, 02:33 AM
Tech Adept

I don't have either but the XXX4 does well at my track.
You should look into the T44 also it is like the JB4 & that does well too.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by george_georgoul
I want to get one of these buggies.

I heard there are some problems with the Cyclone D4 diffs and am thinking of getting the losi because it takes stick packs.

I want a pro car, I want a reliable car.

Which one??

get a j concepts bj4 (original) if you want to run stick packs..else get a bj4 worlds..
Old 08-31-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

the D4 seems to be a good car. The XXX4 had issues with belts slipping.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

get a bj4, zx-5 or the b-44 when it is available. they are waaaay easier to work on than the xxx-4. wrenching on losis plain sucks.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would replace my aging xxx-4 with a D4. Its just hard to justify it when electric off-road is all but dead in NW Georgia.

The Losi is a bear to work on if you need to do anything to the drivetrain such as diff rebuilds.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

the xxx4 is pretty easy to work on in my opinion, at least compared to the xx4. but the drive train is a bit difficult to get to, but in a way its kind of a good thing, keeps it nice and clean. and its fairly reliable. as far as suspension and all that other good stuff that breaks, its pretty simple. im looking into getting a d4 as well though, i think with the upgrade to the bevel gears and diff, its supposed to be way more reliable?
if your serious about doing off road 4wd, don't let that fact that a buggy uses saddle packs stray you from getting it. just convert your existing pack to saddle, and they still can be run in 2wd, plus you can do fun stuff with weight distribution
Old 08-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

let me rephrase what i said before. it isn't that they are difficult, there are just time consuming. my bj4 could get torn completely apart in a matter of minutes which made it very nice to work on. the losi is a lot more involved. yes the xxx4 is easier than the xx4 but they are both labor intensive when the drive train or diffs need to be accessed.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Labor intensive? Come on! Its the easiest car to work on out of all the buggies mentioned. (period) The best shocks and easiest shocks to work on and tune. There is hardly any parts on this thing.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I owned a fair number of 4x4s over the years. I'd say the XXX4 is junk. You look at it it breaks(well almost). The drivetrain is tedious to say the least. I have not owned the D$ but have owned 2 BJ4 one worlds one standard. They are definitely good. Yoke is also good. If I was just in the market though I think I'd pick up a B44 when they are available.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:08 PM

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

The XX4 is real hard to work on. The XXX4 is easy compared to it. I dunno why peeps say it's a pain to work on or it has a tedious drivetrain. It's pretty much sealed. Unlike the Yoke which needs a rebuilding of the diff after a race day because its not sealed. I don't own a BJ4 so can't comment on that.
All wheelers are break prone. If you hit hard enough. I've seen everything at my track break. Losi's, BJ's, Kyosho, Yokomo, Academy, etc....havn't seen anything that is bullet proof.
Losi has better shocks.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasupacat1
All wheelers are break prone. If you hit hard enough. I've seen everything at my track break. Losi's, BJ's, Kyosho, Yokomo, Academy, etc....havn't seen anything that is bullet proof.
Well obviously but its which breaks more often that counts. I've heard of people getting fed up with certain cars because the couldn't even make it through one whole race without braking something (usually on big tracks), but some other people hardly ever break anything.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i own a xxx-4 and i barely ever break and when i do its just a rear arm. I hardly have problems with belt slippage or diffs going bad. But i also rebuild my diffs about every other race just cause i want them to never fail during a race. I think this buggy is a good one to own and as far as working on them I think it is easy
Old 08-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Well my 2 cents.... I have a Kyosho zx-5 and a 501x have ran the xxx4 and the bj4 in the past. The xxx4 is great at some tracks but the reason so many Losi guys are split is because it does not handle rough tracks well and in my experience and is broken more than other buggies in the class. I like the zx-5 for stick packs and is very athletic and responds well to tuning. Also parts are resonable compared to others. If you like AE products the B44 looks like a good deal as well.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stickman310
Well obviously but its which breaks more often that counts. I've heard of people getting fed up with certain cars because the couldn't even make it through one whole race without braking something (usually on big tracks), but some other people hardly ever break anything.
This isnt really an accurate statement sorry, its up to the driver and how they drive, ive seen people drive a car labled as "fragile" and never break it and the next lad drive something that is considered strong and destroy it, all comes down to the track and the driver and the SITUATION the car is placed in.. no car will survive a head on crash in modifed at half to full noise.

I also own a XXX4 and must say that it is easier to work on and access the diffs than most buggies ive owned, and ive only ever broken a rear pivot and they are made to do this to prevent chassis stressing. XXX4 handles great as well if you know how to set it up right, very fast and smooth buggy, its not a big fan of the rough stuff but not many tracks are that bad any more these days anyway. Losi`s parts quality cant be beat, everything fits perfect and is strong, and they are quick to rectify any problems that arise after a new release. The G+ XXX4 is sorted, has no weak points that any other cars dont share with it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.