Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 Cells, the time is now!! Or atleast by 2008

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 06:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The fact that so many lipo users are chiming in on this proves that it must be addressed. I suppose that if the rules were to change to 5cells the tracks that already hoave lipo users wouldn't change with it but these tracks were never roar rule followers anyway. It will be a descision that individual tracks will have to make.

Lipo vs cells aside, I don't think changing the cell count will do a thing. Racers will change other things to get the speed back and cars and motors will get worn just as fast.

Just run all batteries and motors together and let te superior product prevail.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr. losi
the simple fact is that when you get down to brass tacks lipo is illegal, period end of story. many tracks allow them that is fine, so when one talks about dropping a cell that is the conversation.....not whether lipo is better or not....
it may be......
As far as I know ALL batteries have to go through an approval process and are not automatically legal just because their predecessors were. So when IB releases their 6000 mA cells, they are illegal too until approved.

Nobody has said lipo is better or worse in this thread. The only discussion is whether or not the 5 cell change is for better or worse in all aspects, not just the ones they felt like talking about.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Davidka
The fact that so many lipo users are chiming in on this proves that it must be addressed. I suppose that if the rules were to change to 5cells the tracks that already hoave lipo users wouldn't change with it but these tracks were never roar rule followers anyway. It will be a descision that individual tracks will have to make.

Lipo vs cells aside, I don't think changing the cell count will do a thing. Racers will change other things to get the speed back and cars and motors will get worn just as fast.

Just run all batteries and motors together and let te superior product prevail.
Look at threads about mixed brushed/brushless lipo/nimh stock racing for some interesting results of mixing. NiMH has the potential to win every time yet plenty of people aren't running it. It hurts no one to allow 5,6,lipo mixed racing except for the ones who have to have their ideas be the right ones.

5 Cell supporters - I fully support your effort to bring 5 cell to the table but only if it's not forced on everyone. Prove it's better on the track and people will voluntarily switch.

On topic enough for everyone?
Old 08-10-2007, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Don't mean to get off topic, but, I have seen a few posts that state moving the standard to 5-cell will help to save on wear and tear on the car. Can someone explain that one? If you run your car, moving parts move and wear. These same parts, at some time, will fail due to excessive wear, which usually come from long-time use or non-maintenance of the car (not cleaning bearings, rebuilding diffs, etc). So, I don't see where switching to 5-cells would save wear when this is the result of the laws of physics.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Back on topic

As for the 5cell vs. 6 cell, why should it be mandated? If you want to run 5 it's legal now and for those whom want to run 6 should be able to continue to run 6 cells. I don't see how mandating 5 cell max. going to help the hobby.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kinson
As for the 5cell vs. 6 cell, why should it be mandated? If you want to run 5 it's legal now and for those whom want to run 6 should be able to continue to run 6 cells. I don't see how mandating 5 cell max. going to help the hobby.
So far Josh H has so eloquently put it this way -
"Sometimes people need to be protected from themselves"

For a bunch of kids who need the benevolent protection of our superiors we sure do have an expensive little hobby.

Can someone please give a good reason for forcing it on everyone? I know why you think it's better but why do you need the rule change?
Old 08-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

The real change to reduce cost all around... tire wear, cheaper battery, longer motor life, longer electronics life, ect. ect...

From the first paragraph.....
Old 08-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

One reason why.....paragraph 3

Although 4 cells is a drastic improvement from 6, oval took a huge hit and is still dying..why? Because, instead of all the governing bodies and local tracks getting together and making a unanimus move to 4 cells, many didn't for even a year or two. Then resistance split the few oval racers into more groups, that were smaller and some slowly faded away.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

So the only real answer for forcing everyone to run 5 cell is it's for everyone's own good? Thanks for your candor.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Look at it this way...........alot of tracks don't allow one or the other (lipo, 6 cell, 5 cell) so this will bring turnouts down even lower than they are already. Because the 6 cell guys won't go to track A because they allow lipo and lipo guys won't go to track B because its 6 and 5 cell. So while everybody boycots certain tracks because of the battery issue, the tracks suffer and close.

The solution 6.0 volts across the board. Rather than try to race apples against oranges..............lets make everybody race an equal product.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

My, that is...ummm...very authoritarian of you.

You want to save racing and that's a noble cause. But doing it in a way that's going to piss off and/or alienate a large group of people isn't going win support. And I'm not even talking about lipo users here.

Honestly, I feel worse for the people who support 6 cell nimh over this as I'm used to running controversial technology.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

What in your eyes are the negatives oh switching to 6 volts??
Old 08-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Going off what some people were saying about killing or saving the hobby, I don't think going to 5 cells will kill the hobby, nor will staying at 6 cells. People will run whatever the rules allow them to. I am personally a fan of the LiPo movement even though I have never run them... I just get sick of the instability of the newer generation NiMh cells. GP3300's were awesome, but now it seems like at least one cell vents beyond reuse at every big race I go to.

If everyone would start making a 6 volt LiPo pack, I think it would be easy to eventually move to 5 cells/6 volt and legalize LiPo. The hobby went through this same phase with brushless, but now everyone seems accepting of it and is moving forward.

Bottom line I guess is that I am a big fan of keeping options open, but I am also a fan of trying to reduce the cost of racing to keep more people into the hobby instead of driving them away because of the cost. I like the thought of going to 5 cells, but because LiPo is such a well liked technology and is most likely going to be the pack of the future, its going to be hard to push 6 volt limits until there is an equivalent 6 volt LiPo pack.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr. losi
has anyone wondered why ppl in the know, ie, bob stelflue, frank and most all of the other big racers want this change?????

could it be possible that they are right?????

the simple fact is that when you get down to brass tacks lipo is illegal, period end of story. many tracks allow them that is fine, so when one talks about dropping a cell that is the conversation.....not whether lipo is better or not....
it may be......
Yes and by that we're supposed to follow around whatever rules ROAR makes, cuz they are in the know as well? I argue, since they are a pro driver who gets everything for free, who rarely attends a club race, that they actually know less about the club racer and club racing. Club racing is what keeps the hobby alive. Without a club race, a track goes under cuz putting on one race doesn't pay the bills year around.

3 years ago Brushless was illegal to. Rules change as technology improves.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

From a purely conceptual standpoint I have nothing against it. I agree that lower voltage is much easier on the electronics and makes the car more drivable. I would probably do it myself if I felt like getting back into maintaining batteries.

However, there are plenty of other possible ways of saving racing that would become null and void should a rule change force this. This is what I am against. I also would assume there would be a lot of backlash against such a move from both lipo supporters and those who prefer the status quo.

A question for you now. If a simple, cheap and fixed at 6V voltage regulator came out would you support any and all battery types to be used side by side under the new proposed rule?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.