Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Firestorm Official Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default HPI Firestorm Official Thread.

There's a storm brewing on the horizon... A FIRESTORM!
Introducing the HPI Firestorm 2WD RTR stadium truck! This amazing 2WD stadium truck features all-new design specifications, cool racing attributes and a fresh direction for HPI's high quality entry level nitro truck line-up!

Superb Design Heritage
Designer Erik Shauver put all his design experience from designing HPI's high performance cars, like the Hellfire and the Pro 4, into the Firestorm. It combines the latest advances in RC racing truck technology and suspension design to set a new benchmark in 2WD stadium trucks.

In the HPI line up the Firestorm replaces the hugely popular HPI Nitro Rush with a big performance increase at about the same price.

It's easy to spot the Firestorm's design heritage from the Hellfire in the sleek black look, the subdued chassis anodizing, and the smart and efficient layout. Many design features of the high spec Hellfire have been carried over - from the black upper deck, the complete set of hex screws, the captured hinge pins front and rear, and the next-level suspension design and layout!

Performance Driven Design
Race-inspired features give great handling on all surfaces from open fields, parks, even to your local racing track. The dual-deck design features a 3mm aluminum main chassis and an aluminum upper deck. A low-profile 75cc fuel tank and lay down steering servo help provide a very low center of gravity (CG). A full set of turnbuckles allows you to adjust camber and front toe. The rear toe and anti-squat angles are adjustable using pivot blocks, just like on the high-spec racing buggies. Real oil-filled shocks absorb all bumps and jumps and keep the tires on the ground. Real silicone shock oil is used to provide consistent performance in all temperatures. The shocks even feature threaded shock bodies for easy spring adjustments, and the many shock mounts (3 upper, 2 lower) give a multitude of tuning possibilities. 16 ball bearings provide maximum drive train efficiency for faster top speed and durability. Wide-track suspension and all-new tires front and rear give the Firestorm superb control. Providing extra grip and control are the new square-pin Ground Assault rear tires get the power to the ground and asymmetric dual-edge Front Line tires to keep the Firestorm pointed in the right direction.

The Firestorm is as durable as it is nimble, giving you maximum enjoyment under any conditions! The aluminum main chassis and upper deck combine with the steel chassis brace to make the Firestorm extremely stiff. A dual-pad slipper clutch protects the drivetrain from rough landings, while the 0.8 module clutch bell and spur gear are designed for maximum efficiency and reliability. The transmission features a 4.11 to 1 ratio and a sealed planetary gear differential, allowing you to tune the performance of the truck with different diff oils. Stopping the Firestorm is a fiber disk brake actuated by easy to adjust linkage. The steel center chassis brace provides extra stiffness and keeps the gear mesh between the spur and clutch bell consistent. Steel alloy front axles and rear dogbones take the extreme punishment of bashing and racing in the worst possible environments. Protecting the electronics are sealed compartments for the battery pack and receiver, protecting them from the elements and strategically placed for optimum weight balance.

The little details weren't missed out either. You can see the designer's perfection in every Firestorm feature such as: a two-stage foam air filter with a 90-degree rubber elbow, fuel tube clips to keep the tubing out of the way of rotating parts, an innovative battery wire routing system, adjustable body posts to fit a variety of optional bodyshells, piston brake caliper actuation, high-flow manifold and silicone tuned pipe coupling and rubber mounts for the fuel tank. All this shows how much HPI listened to devoted owners and fans of stadium nitro RC trucks!

On the power front the Firestorm features the new HPI Nitro Star G3.0 engine. This new high output engine features a racing standard SG shaft for better power transfer to the transmission. An aluminum crankcase with cooling fins and large heat sink head provide optimal cooling for long engine life and consistent performance. An aluminum tuned pipe and one-piece manifold give maximum torque and raw stump-pulling power!

A reliable, easy pull starter and a dual stage foam filter round out the engine package to make it the ultimate power source.

From 'bashers' to racers - the Firestorm has plenty for everyone. The pre-assembled chassis and painted & trimmed body are ideal for the nitro newcomer, while the pure racing technology imbued in the truck make it clear that it can take anything you can throw at it! Racing enthusiasts will marvel at all the features included with the Firestorm, while new RC hobbyists will simply enjoy the benefits of HPI's years of experience in making high quality RC products!

The Firestorm is pre-assembled right out of the box - from the factory-fitted radio gear and G3.0 engine to the painted and trimmed desert truck racer bodyshell! The reliable HPI TF-1 AM radio system provides all the control you'll need.

Looks like HPI is interested in lots of new markets. check their site for the kit page. what do you guys think? anyone planning on gettin' one?
Old 11-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

For HPI's sake I do hope it's better than the Hellfire..
Old 11-29-2006, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Firestorm

The truck looks like a truggy inspired stadium truck. Unlike the Revo, it looks like it actually belongs on/in the dirt. Speaking of truggies, whats wrong with the Hellfire? I see many dudes at my local track ripping it up with only the normal breakage problems (lower arms primarily). As much as the Hellfire is selling for, why are so many people labelling the Hellfire as crap, a bust, POS...???
Old 11-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

why didn't they make roar legal or make a motor mount for a .12 engine.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Tech Lord

The stock RTR version does not hold up well to racing/bashing. Believe it or not the biggest problem with the Hellfire is it's just to stiff, no flex at all, The stock shock towers, suspension holders don't hold up very well they bend on crashes or landing big jumps. The first batch suffered from a manufacturing flaw in the A arms so they broke very easily, for some reason the "captured" hinge pins do come out (I have seen it happen) but they fall out from the inside ( ) when this happens you will damage the CVD's. It's not just one problem it's been a whole bunch. Then you add the fact that HPI's stance on the Hellfire is "It's not a race truggy" you should start to see why guys that plopped down $600 + are not to happy with "their" choice. If you were going to buy a Hellfire I would buy the SS, most of the problems from a reliability standpoint have been fixed. On a rough track the Hellfire seems to be at a disadvantage also. I think I'm about the last one at my local track who still runs a Hellfire. But I have "thrown" a lot of money at my Hellfire to make it reliable, It's still not quite up to par with the Mugen MBX5T's or the CRT Pros, It's close though.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by bigb11
why didn't they make roar legal or make a motor mount for a .12 engine.
Because HPI is NOT a "race company". That is Hot Bodies job, They build the race cars HPI builds the bashers. Call them, they will tell you the same thing.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

.12's have different mounts? I thought all small blocks had the same mount dimensions?
Old 11-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'd be interested to try it out, a nice break from the usual XXX-NT/RC10GT. The only thing I'm not liking is the wheel hexes on all 4 corners, that limits your wheel choices to Rustler wheels.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Smile

Well no , it doesn`t limit to using rustler wheels . Hpi has tons of rims that will work . Rims made for the electric RS4mt , nitro mt , and nitro mt-2 will fit . I think it will be a good little car to bash around with . All the suspension arms and components are made from the same material that the Savage is made from . So it will be bashable for sure .
Old 11-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Briguy
Well no , it doesn`t limit to using rustler wheels . Hpi has tons of rims that will work . Rims made for the electric RS4mt , nitro mt , and nitro mt-2 will fit . I think it will be a good little car to bash around with . All the suspension arms and components are made from the same material that the Savage is made from . So it will be bashable for sure .
That's right, thanks for pointing that out.

By the way folks, this truck will be selling for $259.99, Tower Hobbies and Horizon Hobby has it listed at that price. I'm definitely trying it out for this price, that OS 18CVR I have sitting around will finally be put to use.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Tech Champion

Ya , I will definetly be getting one . I have a XXX-NT AD1 to race , but it would be nice to have on to bash also . Can`t beat the price .
Old 11-29-2006, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

havent been around the ST racing seen so i guess ill give this one a shot. im an hPI junkie so it works out for me.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

First batch should be in hobby shops either already or by the end of the week! Looks like street price of around $245.00 to $255.00 This thing is alot of truck/fun for the money. It jumps nice and runs pretty fast with the .18 size motor that comes included.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm just hoping they do an electric version like they did with the savage. It'd be nice to run some T4s over with an HPI!
Old 12-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Lost Aggresiva
I'm just hoping they do an electric version like they did with the savage. It'd be nice to run some T4s over with an HPI!

I doubt it will happen . HPI has tried the electric stadium trucks before and never got popular .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.