Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Is LI-PO going to be ROAR Legal this year? >

Is LI-PO going to be ROAR Legal this year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is LI-PO going to be ROAR Legal this year?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

The big deal with Lipo is the weight. Less weight = more speed.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Huh?

A LiPo pack has LESS voltage than a current NiMh battery pack. It's nominally higher (the "name" is larger) than NiMh, but it actually has less voltage (8.4v max, vs. 9.0v+ for NiMh).

The really funny thing is that you can surf these same forums and find threads started by people who are complaining that they got ripped off and are going slower...go figure...LOL
Stop bringing up pesky little things like the TRUTH.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tripthreat
Do you follow the TC seen much? You realize that Reinhard, Hara, Juho and all the World's best find an advantage with 5 cells. Trust me when I say those WORLD CHAMPIONS can handle the power...but Lap times are slower, tires wear is worse..batteries are more expensive...
Well good for those guys. Why don't we just start powering our cars with rubber bands?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:42 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aaron P
Well good for those guys. Why don't we just start powering our cars with rubber bands?
I am trying to have a discussion on a way to save electric 1/10 R/C. If I am gonna be met will nothing but smart *** remarks, I won't waste my time..
Old 08-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K_King
The big deal with Lipo is the weight. Less weight = more speed.
Nobody is talking about dropping minimum weights...right? I thought we were talking about batteries. Weight for weight, motor for motor, a LiPo car isn't going to go any faster than a NiMh car.

The only possible exception would (maybe) be in a very high-draw mod application, where current and low IR is more important that voltage.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am trying to have a discussion on a way to save electric 1/10 R/C. If I am gonna be met will nothing but smart *** remarks, I won't waste my time..
I want to save electric too. LiPo/brushless can save electric, but I feel that mandatory voltage reduction across the board is going to do more harm than good overall, that's all.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:55 PM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by Aaron P
I want to save electric too. LiPo/brushless can save electric, but I feel that mandatory voltage reduction across the board is going to do more harm than good overall, that's all.
That's totally fair. I am curious why? Just want a discussion..
Old 08-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

A reduction in cost and maintenance is huge. I got back into RC because of brushless and LiPo. It cost me more up front for a 1 Lipo pack and a 13.5 but it has cost me less overall. I don't have to cut comm or change brushes and I only need 1 pack instead of several.

I am not going to take cells off of the packs I have. I like the longer runtime and the fact I don't need more than 1 pack.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:08 PM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by Rfury
A reduction in cost and maintenance is huge. I got back into RC because of brushless and LiPo. It cost me more up front for a 1 Lipo pack and a 13.5 but it has cost me less overall. I don't have to cut comm or change brushes and I only need 1 pack instead of several.

I am not going to take cells off of the packs I have. I like the longer runtime and the fact I don't need more than 1 pack.
If you could run a LIPO at 6.0V, would you object?
Old 08-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Nobody is talking about dropping minimum weights...right? I thought we were talking about batteries. Weight for weight, motor for motor, a LiPo car isn't going to go any faster than a NiMh car.

The only possible exception would (maybe) be in a very high-draw mod application, where current and low IR is more important that voltage.
Youre right nobody is talking about minimum weights because I didnt mention minimum weights. I said Lipo is LIGHTER thus your car will be faster.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Tech Legend

Even if Roar never`s approve Li-Po ....

I`ll never buy Nk-Ml cell`s again ....

So its in Roar`s best interest to approve Li-Po ....
Old 08-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

If you could run a LIPO at 6.0V, would you object?
I don't see a need for a reduction in speed for the stock/13.5 classes. If its needed for mod(which I don't run) then go right ahead. Even when I run 4wd I intend to run a 10.5 BL system. I am gearing up for a new buggy to race.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:13 PM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by Rfury
I don't see a need for a reduction in speed for the stock/13.5 classes. If its needed for mod(which I don't run) then go right ahead. Even when I run 4wd I intend to run a 10.5 BL system. I am gearing up for a new buggy to race.
What if you could run a 10.5 @ 6v and it was the same speed as a 13.5 @ 7.4v?
Old 08-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Tech Initiate

This sounds like an on-road discussion, why is it in the off-road section? As an off-road racer, I don't want to have to change my vehicles/batteries for 5 cells. Most motor sports increase speeds over time/tech not decrease. Look at NASCAR and NHRA.

I say just allow the li-po's and brushless like we plan on doing for the Florida State Off-road series for the 2008 season.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

I don't think that 10.5/19T need a reduction either. I raced both stock and 19t touring in the past. Even with a 13.5 now its not really that much faster.

Mod may need to be brought back some. I have not raced mod anything in about 5 years. Even then it was offroad in trucks. I can't comment on things I don't race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.